Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
All Electric Yaris

You know I just got thinking about this... why not:

Link: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1AA035

Discuss:

- The yaris chassis is already well developed
- It's light and the primary reason someone would buy them is to tout around town, city, go to school and back or even work and back or maybe the occasional spirited drive (you hyper milers out there, haven't forgot about you)

So why hasn't Toyota worked on this?

And for a bonus"
Electric motor attached to the C54 trans give me torque, give me wheelspins and keep me gas free and i will own all at the short track..

thoughts? comments? concerns? banter?
Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Toyota is trying to develop hydrogen fuel cell car. They don’t believe in electric cars. At least not for the present
Old 09-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I don't see how an all electric car would be practical if you only own 1 car. What if you want/need to take a trip somewhere that exceeds the range? What if you find yourself somewhere and there is no charging station? What about an emergency situation and your car is low on charge? I don't even like my fuel tank to get below 1/2, so I'd be suffering battery anxiety all the time. Hybrids and plug-in hybrids make sense to me, but not all electric cars.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
Runethecursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I don't see how an all electric car would be practical if you only own 1 car. What if you want/need to take a trip somewhere that exceeds the range? What if you find yourself somewhere and there is no charging station? What about an emergency situation and your car is low on charge? I don't even like my fuel tank to get below 1/2, so I'd be suffering battery anxiety all the time. Hybrids and plug-in hybrids make sense to me, but not all electric cars.
public transit, rent, uber, lyft, theres a few rideshare programs like in seattle we had. i think it was called zip?

if you are outta juice same as with a gasoline car, call triple A or roadside assistance.

All electric cars are kinda neat in the regard that they offer something different to the table and as we get more "advanced" in tech, where batteries and hybrids are commonstay such issues will fall under the same guidance as gasoline powered cars,

im sure the first gasoline car owners had the same concerns about where would they get gas if they went to a remote place ( Ive seen some kids at an EDC with a gas powered generator for his car, this was back in 2013 haha)

all valid concerns, but to me, they are no different than operating a conventional car. in todays age at least
Old 09-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Me neither! (always fill my tank after three bars are gone)

No hybrids for me either. (almost impossible to recover the cost of the vehicle at todays gas prices. That could change!)

Although my driving habits would accomodate an EV 98% of the time. If only I were wealthy!

"Be not the first to take on the new nor the last to cast off the old."
Old 09-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
all i can say after living with my bmw i3 for 4 years now is that theres no other subject in life other than money management where people demonstrate worse common sense thinking than electric cars
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Runethecursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
all i can say after living with my bmw i3 for 4 years now is that theres no other subject in life other than money management where people demonstrate worse common sense thinking than electric cars
My friend let me tell you the sad story about Rune The Cursed and the wonderful world of modifying cars hahahaha