Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #55
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
General gripe about all new cars including the Yaris: the A pillars are getting huge and the blind spot looking out forward and left is growing large enough now that I am forced to work my head around during big curves on the roads so I can maintain a good vantage point.

Biggest complaint about the 2012 Yaris: location of the USB/AUX inputs. Seriously Toyota, why the back of the glove box? What a major pain to deal with especially if I am not going to leave my iPod plugged in all the time.
Yeah, they could have found a better location. However, I think it's better than the 2nd Gen stock location.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #56
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Drive View Post
If you look closely at the sprayer nozzle, there is a very small spherical-shaped jet. You are capable of moving it with a ball-point pen to help fine tune the spray onto the windshield. Be forewarned that the spray pattern is a lot different at speed than at rest, so a little trial and error is needed.
had no idea! that's my only issue with it, totally going to go mess with that tomorrow lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #57
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
I like my Yaris, but it isn't perfect. I have an 3 door automatic LE. Things I don't like:

1) speed sensitive steering. I am not a stroke victim yet. I don't mind turning the wheel. My brain is not calibrated for this, and I'm all over the map while trying to back-up while parking.

2) lack of driver accessable button to open rear gate and/or an external key slot. I also don't like the solitary electronic button, preferring a mechanical linkage.

3) solo front wiper sounds like a great idea. I was driving is a bad rain the other day and even on fast, the blade was too slow to keep the windshield clear. Toyota, if you are going to do this you can't just use the same motor as before.

4) rear wiper is biased for right side drive. the pivot is on the right, and the upper left of the rear window is not wiped, and sub-optimal for left side drivers.

5) transponder keys. I dislike bulky keys, and a nice flat copy will not work.

I hope that the dealer can reprogram my car to take care of 1 & 5...

Mike

I use rainx religiously and it solves the rain issue. Also for the back window. The back wiper isn't very good to begin with and its hard to find another wiper blade that short for the back window.

As for the big key, I am agree. I always carry my valet key in hidden spot and then have a flat key in my wallet. That way I can always start the car in an emergency.

My 2009 doesn't have the electronic steering but my 2011 Sienna does and my wife complains about that is snow too.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #58
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I use rainx religiously and it solves the rain issue. Also for the back window. The back wiper isn't very good to begin with and its hard to find another wiper blade that short for the back window.

As for the big key, I am agree. I always carry my valet key in hidden spot and then have a flat key in my wallet. That way I can always start the car in an emergency.

My 2009 doesn't have the electronic steering but my 2011 Sienna does and my wife complains about that is snow too.
I'll have to keep rainx in mind. The single blade was a concern of mine re a future 3rd Gen replacement. Absolutely Red 12 has no problems with the wiper clearing the windshield in his '12 in heavy rain in Los Angeles. Perhaps the rain the OP encounters is heavier/more of a burden on the wiper? OP doesn't state what area of Virginia. In any case, I'm glad you know of this product that seems likely to blur any potential distinction between different locales re the effectiveness of the wiper clearing a 3rd Gen windshield in the rain.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #59
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
^ My rear wiper works very well after I replaced it with an OEM toyota one. Before that I had an aftermarket one that really sucked. It looked 100% the same as oem but left certain areas untouched. The lesson I learned was never buy aftermarket for the rear.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #60
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
The only gripe I have with my new 2012 is the lack of an arm rest. However, I knew this before purchasing. So, with an arm rest being the only issue with the entire car, I consider this trivial.

For the record, I do believe Toyota should offer a well-designed arm rest for this vehicle.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #61
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I recently posted a question in regard to the scuffing of the door panel plastic. Someone recommended Turtle Wax F21 protectant as a way to protect from the scuffs. I put it on this weekend and it really helped a lot. It was about $5 at my local auto supply store.

On my 2012 2-door, every time I shut the driver's side door, I think the glass slides down just a bit and I can hear it rattle. That bugs me a bit.

FWIW, I LOVE the design of the tail lights.
The interior panels of my L are rough, very rough. I haven't scratched them yet, but they do a good job of removing the outer layers of any skin that rubs against it. The result is smears of dead skin cells all over the door. It is kind of gross when you really think about it. Windex wipes off the cells and leaves no trace.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #62
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I also found that the interior panels on the 2012 Yaris tended to mark VERY easily. Thanks to a tip from this website, I put on one application of Turtle Was F21, which helped immensely.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40989
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #63
odg495

Drives: Yaris & Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
My biggest gripe is with the stereo unit (non Nav). I play my music from the USB, but every time I turn the car off, it goes back to folder 1, song 1. It has no memory and now I hate Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the way. Screw you toyota.
This is my one genuine gripe with my Yaris, too ... CD players have had a memory for years now, don't see why USB can't!
odg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #64
AntrimMan

Drives: 3G3DMT
^
may be a different radio in the 2012 USDM Yaris L models from yours.
I had Lexar card reader work fine but Sandisk not remember where it was.
Perhaps it is your particular reader rather than the radio?
All the best.
AntrimMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #65
shrek

Drives: 2012 5dr Manual Yaris
What capacity (2gb, 4gb, 8gb?) was it and what brands have people had success with?
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #66
AntrimMan

Drives: 3G3DMT
Works and currently in use... Lexar LRWMU01U-70000, white and grey coloured, with generic 2GB micro SD.
I have used multiple types of 2, 4, 8GB cards with no issues with this reader. Never had any trouble remembering where it left off. Picks right up in the middle of the tune.
The radio displays READING USB then begins playing.

Didn't and continues not to remember where it left off... Sandisk, the little red and black coloured model. I dont see a part number on it other than a lasered lot number but there is a M2 that is ink stenciled just where the SD card would be inserted, I suppose this could be called the mouth. It does work, as in plays just fine, and I can search through the folders, but no joy as when starting the car it always just defaults to the beginning of the file structure no matter what brand or capacity (2, 4, 8GB) of SD card is inserted. I use it for other file storage and transfer functions and it works flawlessly well for that purpose. Just no good in the Yaris USB.
All the best.
AntrimMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #67
mtiberio

Drives: 2012 3 door LE
I use one of those short USB extensions so I'm not groping around. Currently running a thumbnail sized 32GB drive from HP. I can't even fill it...

Also on my '13, the player remembers which song and at what point it was at, even after a shutoff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yeah, they could have found a better location. However, I think it's better than the 2nd Gen stock location.
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #68
odg495

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntrimMan View Post
^
may be a different radio in the 2012 USDM Yaris L models from yours.
I had Lexar card reader work fine but Sandisk not remember where it was.
Perhaps it is your particular reader rather than the radio?
All the best.
That's interesting, the one I've been using is a Sandisk, I might try my others, maybe that's the issue ...
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #69
odg495

Quote:
Originally Posted by odg495 View Post
That's interesting, the one I've been using is a Sandisk, I might try my others, maybe that's the issue ...
Well, I've tried two other USB drives, one an Emtec, the other a generic supermarket one, but we have the same problem.

Here is a pic of the unit in the base Yaris' (the YR) here in Australia, you'll note our USB port is at bottom centre of the unit, not in the glovebox like in other countries:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris radio.jpg (11.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #70
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Drive View Post
I've put 15,200 miles on my car since I purchased it in March of this year.

I don't really have much to complain about other than the fat A-pillars as mentioned above... and the lack of an LSD.

LSD on a FWD vehicle....c'mon.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #71
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
LSD on a FWD vehicle....c'mon.
Okay?
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #72
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
a lsd should help wheel spin. I seem to be getting rampant wheel spin if i am even slightly aggressive on the throttle at takeoff. I can't imagine what a turbo feels like.