Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
InfamousDragon
Import King

Drives: 2012 Yaris Le
Intake issues

So I'm a lil old school when fixing imports and this yaris is new to me so help me out if you would people. I put together my own intake with a very large filter haha. Anyway here are the problems I'm running into. The intake goes from the lil 2 inch port to a 3 inch maybe 3 1/2 inch filter. It's a big filter for the car I know but I want it to get plenty of air and stay nice and cool. 4 cylinders get super hot if you don't know. Anyway I did the install properly I know that for a fact but I still get the check engine light and when I drive the car the throttle does not respond its like its bogging out. Well it just started doing that after I fixed the intake connections but before I fixed it it was running fine now well I should have taken a break while working. So I need to know how to reset the check engine and the ECU on this crazy lil car. Lil help for an old school from you new school
InfamousDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Hey Dragon,

Are you able to post a pic of your intake? That would help to pin down the issue. I also enjoy seeing the clever ideas people come up with. On your new intake, did you move the mass air flow sensor? If it does not remain inside specifically sized tubing your engine won't run right and you'll get the check engine light. Don't try to run your engine if it bogs down. That could be indicating an overly lean condition. and do damage to your engine. The MAF sensor is this black thing with the wires plugged into it...

By the way, there's nothing wrong with being old school.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
InfamousDragon
Import King

Ill take a pic tomorrow for you hopefully your online. But yea the pipe is a lil bigger. It was running fine yesterday but its not a short ram lol. I will work on it again tomorrow. I had it running fine but needed to fix an issue. I took a huge filter from SS and got a bendable pipe with the mass flow connector and the hose conector pipe. It will be easier to show you when i take a pick. Mainly what I have noticed though is you can't use longer piping haha funny lil cars though. I did a few mods to the car but the intake is my main mod now.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
tooter
play every day

Was the MAF sensor and tubing made for a Toyota 1.5 intake? If it isn't exactly the same diameter, it won't work properly. I think the proper MAF diameter is 2.25 inches. You're right about not being able to use longer tubing. If you do, it puts the air filter inside the wheel well.

I also run an oversized filter that would flow on a V8 engine, so overall length became an issue. But I crammed it in anyways by making everything else as short as possible. The filter mounts onto a 6 inch diameter velocity stack.

You can do almost anything you want on an intake as long as that small section of tubing where the MAF sensor is the right size.

Last edited by tooter; 02-21-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
InfamousDragon
Import King

No as I stated its all bigger but again I had it working properly. I am about to go work on the car right in like 15 mins. So ill try and take pics on my iPad and post them so you can see. I think I forgot to connect something though ill let you all know
Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
94toy22re

Drives: 2012 Yaris L hatch 5spd
I'm sorry but the number of cylinders on a vehicle makes 0 difference on how hot the engine runs.
94toy22re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousDragon View Post
No as I stated its all bigger but again I had it working properly. I am about to go work on the car right in like 15 mins. So ill try and take pics on my iPad and post them so you can see. I think I forgot to connect something though ill let you all know
Ok.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
InfamousDragon
Import King

Ok well I took pics but could not upload them you got an email or something I could send them to you? So I fixed the issue an it was doing fine but after a while the engine light came on again and the cruise control stopped working and the traction control turned off. So I'm curious what's up with this car. It's all new to me so this is actually nice to not know what's up. So teach me people thanks old school needs to learn the new school
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
tooter
play every day

What really helps in posting pictures is a Photobucket.com account. It's totally free. I store all of my pictures "in the cloud" at Photobucket. To post a picture, you just copy the image link of a picture in your library and paste it into your post... and wup, there it is.

This is what an image link looks like:

[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/compost_bin/car/e59e07d9.jpg
[/IMG]

and its pic:

Sounds like something came unplugged. Your car might run semi-ok while the computer is learning the new parameters and then when it figures out what's going on, you get the codes.

Hey, do you know about resetting the computer? Take the negative cable off of your battery and leave it off for a few minutes, and then reconnect it. That will reboot the computer and it will relearn any new parameters.

If you want to send some pics, my email is:

greggabi@verizon.net

Greg
Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
InfamousDragon
Import King

Ok I have drop box will that work? Ill see if I can get into my photobucket
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
tooter
play every day

What's a drop box? Hey, we're almost communicating in real time.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
InfamousDragon
Import King

Lol yea we are. But yea drop box is like a file upload for iPads and phones to store pics and what not. Anyway it's just like photobucket but better.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
InfamousDragon
Import King

That's cause your in la and I am too haha
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
InfamousDragon
Import King

If your free hit me up 714-495-8321 ask for dragon
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
InfamousDragon
Import King

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r87ss1zut3...2011.58.14.jpg hopefully that link works
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Thats some bend you've got there...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousDragon View Post
Yes, it works.

I can't see where the MAF sensor is, but if it's in that shiny tubing its diameter appears to be too large. I wouldn't be concerned about the 90 degree bend in your flexible tubing. That's not causing any problems.

I've experimented with a lot of various intake designs, so this is just for illustration. See how the tubing diameter is larger in front of the MAF sensor section and then smoothly necks down? You can have larger tubing in front of it, but the tubing needs to be exactly the right diameter at the sensor itself for it to give accurately indexed readings to the computer.

Here's another example: I'm running a larger throttle body and this intake tube matches its throat diameter. But notice how it still needs to reduce down to the proper diameter right where the MAF sensor is?

And I was wrong about the diameter...
It's not 2.25 inside diameter. It needs to be 2 inches inside diameter at the MAF sensor. If you want to get some pieces of tubing to experiment around with. Here's where you can find inside diameter tubing especially sized for intakes:

intakehoses.com

I buy all of my intake tubing from them and they're great to deal with because you can get small pieces for very little money.

So the diameter of the tubing at the MAF sensor is my best guess as to what's tripping the codes.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #18
InfamousDragon
Import King

Ok that's something I now know here is another question though, is there any way to reprogram the sensor or the ECU to match the tubing I have now so I don't have to switch it at all? Honesty I like the 3 inch diameter tubing look and sound. I tripped the check engine again after a few times of starting the car but the damn thing runs like a beast with the setup I have and sounds like a monster. The only two draw backs other than the cel is the traction control and the cruise control not responding at all. Curious lil twist for just installing an intake lol.

Anyway what I want to do is just retune the chips if possible but again it's a new car not used to the way it works. I took pics before I repositioned it and what not but still imma play around with it till I figure out what I can get away with you know what I mean.

So basically imma open another thread here tomorrow about all the things I have done and how the car is responding just for feed back and tips you know. Always good to get advice and what not. But I wanna fix the intake ASAP.

So I drove it around and raced it a bit like I said runnin like a beast. You can feel hear and deff tell the difference with the intake so I wanna leave the setup. But I want to fix the codes and get everything working like it was but with the new intake