Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Recommend a back up camera

Last week my LB got hit and run while parked. my rear bumper got cracked and gouged. I have just gotten the RS (replica) painted and installed in September last year, only about 6 months.

Now I wish i had a back up camera hooked to a DVR to record that low life that ran off after hitting my car. Iv looked at different types.
1. Keyhole: perfect place because on Hatchs its centered, but i loose the trunk access button, probably have to do it on a remote.
2. License Frame: I think this is the most ugly way, even the thinnest types iv found look ugly
3. License Plate Light holder: Linked Here

I will probably go all out and get a few more small cameras placed around the car for constant surveillance, already looking into HDD DVR choices, dont want to spend more than $300 or so, but seeing sometime like this has happened to me not Once but Twice already hit and run.....yeah i want to catch the low life next time.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
A small four input DVR would be great. I buy most of my household surveillance equipment from SuperCircuits. They carry a line of 4 channel mobile DVRs that range from $320 to $700. http://www.supercircuits.com/Digital...s/Mobile-DVRs/

As for cameras, stay away from cheap back-up cameras. I have experimented with a few different ones in my chicken coop (sounds wacky, but back-up cameras have really wide field of view, which makes them handy in tight areas). The cheap ones have such poor image quality that you'd have trouble making out a license plate at a couple of feet.

The best one that I've found is Supercircuit's PC-228, which is a CCD, instead of CMOS, based camera with a 120 degree field of view.

http://www.supercircuits.com/Securit...s/Mobile/PC228