Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
vinooooo93

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2006 Sedan
Frustrating front brake noise that won’t go away

Hi all,

I’ve had this problem for almost 3 years now where I hear a rhythmic front brake squeak usually when decelerating slowly anywhere between 10km/h to a full stop. I especially hear it when the car is going downhill but not so much up hill. The noise isn’t as noticeable if I brake much harder than usual. It is driving me insane. A few months ago, I replaced both the front rotors and brake pads (good quality ones) with proper lubrication and cleaned up any rust/debris - this worked for a couple of weeks and then the noise came back again. Oddly enough, I can hear it very clearly when I’m inside the car but when I pull down the window to check again, the noise doesn’t seem to be as prominent. Has anyone ever experienced the same issue? I have searched high and low on forums and on YouTube but can’t find a solution. Currently, I have lots of Brake pad material and rotors have very minor ridges.

I also have a rear drum brake squeak but I’m sure I’ll be able to fix that with re lubricating but it is just this front brake noise that’s annoying the heck out of me :(
vinooooo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Put some brake lube where the caliper squeeze the pads.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Brighton
Knower of little

Drives: None
If you got ceramic pads and used non ceramic rated grease then the grease will burn off rather quickly (a couple weeks of daily driving) Grease rated for semi metallics are good for 500 deg f whereas ceramic rated grease is rated for 3000 deg f
Brighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
johnwk

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
The fact that it's rhythmic makes it sound like your rotor surfaces are uneven. You can try to reduce this by "bedding in" your brakes. I believe bedding in is normally recommended immediately after replacing pads and rotors, but it could still help you.

Here's a step-by-step guide, as well as an explanation for why it works. The gist of it is: from 60 MPH, brake hard down to about 20 MPH, but do not come to a complete stop. Repeat 8 times. This gets everything nice and hot and creates a uniformly smooth braking surface. After letting the brakes cool, you can repeat the process.

If you do take the caliper apart again, pay special attention to the guide pins and guide-pin boots. Guide pins that aren't working smoothly can warp your rotors. Buy some replacement guide-pin boots from a local dealership (part number 47775-52190 for my 2010 liftback). Pull the guide pins out, discard the old boots, clean everything well, lubricate the guide pins with silicone paste, and reinstall.
johnwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
When you replaced the brake pads did you get new mounting hardware with the brake pads? I would take the caliper off and make sure that the brake pad can slide back and forth on the mounting hardware but does not rattle around if you try to shake it. Make sure the pads and hardware are sitting right and check that the caliper mounting bracket and slider pin bolts are tight. Standard practice is to put anti seize or brake grease on the back of the pads and where they touch the brake hardware.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
vinooooo93

Thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated !

I may have figured it out.. finally

Last night, I did a thorough clean for both my rear drum brakes and applied anti seize to the contact points of the brake shoes. I also adjusted them (tightened) so that the shoes sit closer to the drums and Lo and behold, the noise is gone.

My assumption (which I could be wrong) is that the noise was coming from the back all along (I was so sure it was coming from the front but I guess I was wrong) - and that the shoes weren’t close enough to the drums so every time I would press the brakes, the shoes were just lightly touching the drums causing that rhythmic squeaking noise. Otherwise, I have no other explanation as I did not touch the front brakes at all last night lol.

I will see how I go after a week and report back if the noise has come back or not..
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
vinooooo93

The other squeak that I had (loud squeak upon release of the brake pedal) was also fixed after living up the contact points of the rear brake shoes