Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #217
rihdrkc
Blazing Blue Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
I want to get one of these, how hard is it to hook up? I know nothing about cars or mechanical issues with cars..so will i have a hard time hooking it up? And does it calculate when your sitting there idle?
Simple plug and play. Just stick it where you think it looks best.
rihdrkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #218
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Easy as pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
I want to get one of these, how hard is it to hook up? I know nothing about cars or mechanical issues with cars..so will i have a hard time hooking it up? And does it calculate when your sitting there idle?
Yep it really is just a plug and play. Plug into the obd II port, route the wire out of the way and mount in an easy to see location. The A pillar, steering column (just mount far enough forward to allow clearance for driver side glove box to open) and near the center gauge cluster seem to be popular choices. The enclosed 3M temporary industrial fastener works quite well, as does 3m double sided trim tape available at auto parts stores. There is no permanent alteration to the vehicle required.

The ecometer calculates mpg anytime the engine is running, including while idling. You can watch your avg mpg drop as you idle. It is very accurate-mine has always been within .7 mpg or so of calculating by the "pump method" at fill up.

This is a long thread, but there are quite a few good points and mounting ideas mentioned here if you can work through it. Most everyone seems to be very satisfied with their ecometer.

Hope this helps!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #219
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

The ecometer calculates mpg anytime the engine is running, including while idling. You can watch your avg mpg drop as you idle. It is very accurate-mine has always been within .7 mpg or so of calculating by the "pump method" at fill up.
Today at fill up the ecometer was dead on! 35.3mpg was the ecometer reading, 35.323 was the calculated at pump. No DFCO, just lots of nuetral whenever possible, id say 20% highway rest city. I have yet to take the car on a long trip highway run. the longest iv done is 44 miles one way, got 44.52mpg that time. Car is still under 4k on the odo.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #220
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
I love this thing btw! Definite improvement in MPG when you actually get to see real time how your driving habits change your mileage. Here's some pics where I mounted mine btw.

kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #221
Mistry

Drives: Red Yaris Liftback
I just got a Simota SRI and was wondering if I would need to adjust the Ecometer?

If so, how would I change it? I have the instructions at home but I will be away for a while and would like to adjust it asap, if needed.

Thanks in advance.
Mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #222
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Not sure how much the intake will change things. Next fill up compare pump calc to the ecometer. To get dialed in a little faster I figure the percent difference between the two and adjust accordingly.

I don't have my instructions in front of me but I did this not long ago. To adjust the ecometer unplug it from the obd port. Hold down the left button while plugging ecometer back in. If done properly you should see EFF on the meter. Then I believe you keep pressing the right button until the percentage you need is on the screen (they range from 60 to 140). Then press the left button when done to finalize the adjustment.

I may have messed up which button scrolls through the numbers but that should hopefully get you in the right direction.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #223
ezhacker1

*post AFE intake update

before when i was on stock intake the ecometer was dead on with DFCO resulting into higher actual mpg then gauged, which makes sense. Now after the intake im seeing 10% over estimation, i thought the ECU would learn whats going on with the new intake, guess not.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #224
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Is this still worth it to everyone? I just want something where i can keep it plugged in, and whenever iturn the car on and go it will show me my instant MPG. Do i need to reset this or anything? When i get gas do i need to reset it?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #225
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
If you leave it on instant MPG display, it would just display that all the time. I don't think you would never need to reset it. If you were having it display average MPG, it would be best to reset it after each fillup, but that only takes two clicks to do, so who cares.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #226
Twistoffate0817

Just ordered mine from the site you guys provided. It says its shipping from NJ...which is where I live so hopefully it will get here soon! I cannot wait to try it out. :)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #227
ezhacker1

More Update:

Cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF Cleaner, hopefully my mpg will improve and/or get the reading to match actual. The ecometer ONLY read wrong after my AFE intake.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #228
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Hmm, interesting idea. Is the MAF sensor cleaner just compressed air to blow the crap off it, or is it something specific that you get at the auto parts store? Do we have only that one MAF sensor by the intake, or is there more than one on the car that would be worth cleaning?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #229
Twistoffate0817

Hello all, I have recieved my eco meter today!

I just got back from testing it, and am afraid to say that im dissapointed in the product.

Maybe the thing needs some settings adjusted in order to work better:

I followed the instructions to get to the EEF i think it said, and it says to adjust it from 60-140 if its calculating too high. My eco meter was all over the place every second. going from 11 to 140 within one second. (mpg that is)

So i set the EEF at 61.

What is everyone elses set at?

My other problem is: Whenever i have my foot on accel pedal the MPG seems fine. whenever i take it off it quickly zooms to 100+ and when i put my foot back on it takes my mpg up to 55-65. This seems very off.

Also when I come to a complete stop the eco meter goes to 0 and stays there. This is wrong too from what I have been reading.

What am i supposed to be setting this thing at?

Is there something I am doing wrong?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #230
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

You have it set to instant MPG readouts... Read the manual more thoroughly.

When at a complete stop, you are getting zero MPG. Whatever you have read else where would be news to me...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #231
Falconia

Drives: Yaris 1,3 -01 Linea Luna
I didn't read this thread all way through, but I really don't get it what it helps to buy this kind of "meters". Cars own monitor shows the same thing (mpg) or like here in Europe litres/100 kilometres.

What's the point when cars own computer shows the same thing?
Falconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #232
Twistoffate0817

Okay so it shooting from 15 mpg to 140 is normal? I duno how to change my driving style if at every second its going from 20 mpg to 40, then to 70, then to 20. Its sort of odd. Shud I leave it on average MPG?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #233
Twistoffate0817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconia View Post
I didn't read this thread all way through, but I really don't get it what it helps to buy this kind of "meters". Cars own monitor shows the same thing (mpg) or like here in Europe litres/100 kilometres.

I dont know about anyone else, but my Yaris in the USA does not come with an instant MPG reader. So this device does it for us.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #234
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconia View Post

American models do not display this information.