Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Islander

Drives: Vitz/Yaris RS
The 1000cc vs 1300cc

So i just got a 1 litre Vitz, and i'm pretty happy with it overall. But the only drawback i feel is that due to the engine size, it lacks some oompah on the highway and definitely uphill.

So i was just wondering what people think is the better engine, and whether you think the 1 litre is better than the 1.3 or vice versa? And is the additional fuel economy good enough of the former, to warrant buying it over the latter and it's better acceleration?
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
most of us (Americans) can only get the 1.5 liter 1500cc. I wonder what is the rated fuel consumption of those engines? I am sure that it will not be an apples to apples comparison to the US version as we have to deal with emissions and all the extra safety crap that is required here. I am still curious.

in my opinion (and it doesn't mean much) I would think that the best option would be the diesel version if that is an option where you are. I think it is the D4D motor or something like that.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Islander

Wow, i didn't even know there was a diesel engine available for the yaris. :) I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be sold here though.

I'm not sure what the mpg is for the 1 litre, but it is certainly cheap to run as you'd expect from an engine that size. And i have to say around town it's pretty zippy, but on the highway it lacks some luster predictably. Which is not really a problem for where i am, i.e. a small tropical island where north to south takes about an hour and a half. But it's also nice to hold your own in the fast lane too...

What are your thoughts on the 1.5L, in terms of acceleration and fuel economy?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The 1.5 is all the engine any sane person needs for daily driving situations.

The fuel economy is outstanding, given the power it produces.

Unfortunately however the Yaris is porked up in weight over the car it replaces, here in the US thats the ECHO. echo = 2000 lbs Yaris = + 200 OR 300.

Im not sure because we dont have the 1 liter engine here but from what I have read the mpg of the 1 over the 1.5 is not all that much.

Although I would prefer it myself.

If economy is your thing you DO NOT want that diesel. It costs thousands more and diesel fuel is more than gas in the US, eliminating any savings potential.

Although its only about 20-30 cents a gallon more right now.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
BEEF

The published weight of my yaris (2008 liftback) is 2250lbs.

I get a pretty consistent 41mpg. If I had to guess, my 0-60mph time would be somewhere around 8-9 seconds. (very comperable to 0-100kph time). Of the small cars I have driven, this one has a very balanced mix of power and efficiency.

Not sure why some people have issues with diesels. If you look at other countries, they are seeing a fuel economy increase of sometimes 50%...that is well worth the extra 10-20% fuel cost. and the fact that as a general rule of thumb, a diesel will last quite a bit longer than a conventional gasoline (petrol) motor.

I have been salivating over the Smart Diesel and the Mini Cooper Diesel though sadly you can't get them in the US. They can be brought to canada and imported though I have heard that is a painful process.

Mini cooper diesel = 65.7mpg (imperial) and 54.7mpg (US)
Smart diesel = 83mpg (imperial) and 69mpg (US)

no hybrid crap there, put in fuel and drive. Diesels are the way to efficiently drive. Everyone gets it but the United States.

******edit*****

I forgot the obvious. The YARIS diesel gets really good mileage too. I found one site that said it got 62.8mpg though it didn't say if it were imperial or US gallons. if it were infact imperial gallons, it would still be over 52mpg US.

Last edited by BEEF; 10-01-2012 at 11:34 AM.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
Not sure why some people have issues with diesels. If you look at other countries, they are seeing a fuel economy increase of sometimes 50%...that is well worth the extra 10-20% fuel cost. and the fact that as a general rule of thumb, a diesel will last quite a bit longer than a conventional gasoline (petrol) motor.

That 50% figure, if true, would be great!

Typical efficiency is more like 15%.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...nt-than-diesel

Just like a hybrid, you have to figure in the increased cost. In 1980, a diesel VW Rabbit was nearly $8000, almost $3000 more than the gas version. You could never recover the initial purchase price.

If you want a diesel (or a hybrid) that is fine.

You just wont be saving any money.

Presented as a public service.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
BEEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Presented as a public service.
It's really not, it's missinformation.

The very article that you touted is comparing an ecoboost motor to a diesel. an ecoboost is a turbocharged motor and has quite a price premium on the run of the mill gas motor that comes in the base model. your price delta just got smaller.

on top of that, I noted that emissions was an issue in the states. the thing that kills the mileage of diesels in the states is the emissions standards (politics)

you have to look past the AMERICAN bubble. the figures that I stated above are actual cars getting high 50s and low 60s for MPG. what is the best we can do without a hybrid right now? 40s...on a good day. that's more than the 15% you are saying.

the OP isn't even in the US....that's my point.

*****edit****

Mini cooper (in the UK)

Mini Cooper 14,900 52.3mpg
Mini Cooper D 16,180 74.3mpg
Mini Cooper S 18.180 48.7mpg

this truly is apples to apples. this isn't american cars to european cars. it is european to european. there is your roughly 50% mileage savings at a cost of around 1,300 (pounds I think) (or rougly 10% premium over the gas one).

http://www.mini.co.uk/model-range/hatch/mini-cooper-d/ (site to back it up since I guess I need one)

Last edited by BEEF; 10-01-2012 at 02:01 PM.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
bronsin

Quote:
It's really not, it's missinformation.

You can lok it up anywhere. Gas engines are ~30% efficient at turning gasoline into mechanical energy

Diesel engines are ~45% efficient ditto.

All I ask is if a person is considering a diesel (or hybrid) is calculate how much more the vehicle costs vs how much you "save" with the "more efficient" technology.

Show me the numbers!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
BEEF

I was editing with an example as you were posting. example in previous post. hard numbers of what I have been saying.....and a link.

****edit****

you know if I take 30 (just the number) and add 50% to it, I get 45 (just the number) so to go from 30% efficiency to 45% efficiency is most literally and mathematically a 50% increase.

30% x 1.5 = 45%
Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I think it sucks we (US) don't get the 1.0, 1.3, or diesel variants of the Yaris? If offered when I bought my Yaris, there is zero question about it. I'd have certainly bought either the 1.0L or diesel Yaris (probably the diesel option). I'm so sick of other countries getting the efficient cars, and the US being left out. You'd think all this talk about raising CAFE standards should certainly be a catalyst for bringing smaller and hence more fuel efficient engines to the US. Ugh. Like a lot of people, I'm not interested in hybrid tech. What's the point, particularly considering smaller engines get comparable and sometimes better fuel efficiency than hybrids, thereby eliminating the need for the battery packs.
Ugh.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The 1.5 is all the engine any sane person needs for daily driving situations.

The fuel economy is outstanding, given the power it produces.

Unfortunately however the Yaris is porked up in weight over the car it replaces, here in the US thats the ECHO. echo = 2000 lbs Yaris = + 200 OR 300.

Im not sure because we dont have the 1 liter engine here but from what I have read the mpg of the 1 over the 1.5 is not all that much.

Although I would prefer it myself.

If economy is your thing you DO NOT want that diesel. It costs thousands more and diesel fuel is more than gas in the US, eliminating any savings potential.

Although its only about 20-30 cents a gallon more right now.
In some parts of the US, diesel is about the same. There are some benefits to diesel that make them better than gas engines. They last longer, get getter mileage, and require less maintenance over the life span.

Much like your stance on synthetic oil, you are standing on an island!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Not sure why some people have issues with diesels. If you look at other countries, they are seeing a fuel economy increase of sometimes 50%...that is well worth the extra 10-20% fuel cost.
In some places, like where I am from in Alberta diesel is actually CHEAPER than regular gasoline. I am not sure why that is, but for some people it would be a good alternative.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
In some parts of the US, diesel is about the same. There are some benefits to diesel that make them better than gas engines. They last longer, get getter mileage, and require less maintenance over the life span.

Much like your stance on synthetic oil, you are standing on an island!
Do a cost analysis of owning a gas vs diesel engined car and get back to me when you find out its costs MORE (these days) to own the diesel.

(hint diesel engined cars have higher initial purchase price. Diesel fuel has averaged 50 cents a gallon more than gas in my area over the last ten years (used to be gas was 99 cents a gallon and diesel 79 cents a gallon back in the early 90s when I owned my 240D) ) Thats well over 10% higher fuel costs.

Finally yes the engines last longer (although did you know: overheat a diesel engine and the pistons melt) but the rest of the car (like the tranmission )DOESNT. So what you have after ten or twelve years is a nice running engine in a rolling wreck that is expensive to keep on the road. Not to mention being inconvient when it goes in the shop..

Synthetic oil. See Below!

Then you can join me on my island.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
In some places, like where I am from in Alberta diesel is actually CHEAPER than regular gasoline. I am not sure why that is, but for some people it would be a good alternative.
Yeah if its cheaper its great. In Canada on my trip to AK last summer everywhere I went it was cheaper.

But its not everyplace Ive been in the US.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
Islander

lol, so i take it most of the guys here are just old fuddy duddies looking for the best gas mileage. :p

As for the diesel vs petrol debate, diesel is significantly cheaper over here. I'm not sure what the political and economic reasons for that are.

I don't think there's a diesel tax (i know there's an emissions tax on petrol cars over 2000cc). But most vehicles here which are diesel are double cabs, and there is a tax on them.

I've got an old Nissan double cab which is diesel, and despite being a 2.5L, the MPG is great. But again it goes back to the cost at the pump.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
bronsin

We use fuel oil to heat our house which is just diesel dyed red. There is over the road tax on diesel fuel for cars and trucks. But none on home heating oil (which is the same thing).

BUT

In NJ however, home heating oil is $4.25 a gallon and diesel for cars is $3.89.

Figure that one out.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
BEEF

Islander,

sorry, we can get very heated when it comes to certain subjects. Diesel is looked down upon in the US. Not sure why.

The yaris community is very vast. You have the efficiency guys, the tuner guys, the audiophiles, and probably some that I have forgotten.

Even though I am getting 41ish mpg, I have still done some performancy stuff to mine. I have done lowering/stiffer springs, rear swaybar, Short Raim Intake (SRI), and most recently a performance header. I have also done a short shift kit and shift extender.

There are many facets to the yaris community.

I probably should have said this earlier but welcome.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
BINGO.

1 tr stock. Great around the burbs ( suburbs) and Citay (City) you might lack pop (power) on the highways.1.3 does better in both. I prefer the 1.5 because it's the top of the range but it's only slightly better than the 1.3.I recommend that you upgrade to a 1.3 vvti.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote