Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #37
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
No floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no earthquakes, no wildfires, and plenty of water.

Where I live in NJ we have to shovel a little snow a few times a year.

Big whoops!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #38
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
No floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no earthquakes, no wildfires, and plenty of water.

Where I live in NJ we have to shovel a little snow a few times a year.

Big whoops!
I guess you are just used to it. Is black ice less of an issue in your area than it would be up north near Bedminster? (close to where my friend's accident occurred)....On a lighter note......Go MLB!...All 4 division series going to the 5 game max!....And 'your' Yankees and 'my' Giants both emerged victorious!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #39
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Nook,
I hear ya. I was actually born in Florida and lived in Louisiana for 4 years, as well. That Louisiana heat and humidity! I don't miss that, at all. I've come to enjoy the change in seasons, however I do not particularly like the snow and ice. It's beautiful, if you don't have to venture out in it. The black ice is particularly treacherous. The day I wrecked my Camry one would have never expected it. No snow, clear skies, yet the dreaded black ice was waiting for me where I least expected it. I personally would like to live somewhere where it is between 50-70 degrees F all year long....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I guess you are just used to it. Is black ice less of an issue in your area than it would be up north near Bedminster? (close to where my friend's accident occurred)....On a lighter note......Go MLB!...All 4 division series going to the 5 game max!....And 'your' Yankees and 'my' Giants both emerged victorious!

Oh we have black ice. But lucky for me I drive when not a lot of people are on the road.

Also I ride my motorcycle year round and have been for 35+ years.

You learn when and where BI forms on the road (I ride it on my commute of 6 miles to work) that way.

Or you get killed which has never happened to me.

Really worse than BI is pickup trucks. Snow melts in their beds and then runs out as water when they drive, icing the road on a day with otherwise clear conditions. I seen it.

The Yankees should beat the Tigers.

Should but that does not mean it will happen...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #41
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Oh we have black ice. But lucky for me I drive when not a lot of people are on the road.

Also I ride my motorcycle year round and have been for 35+ years.

You learn when and where BI forms on the road (I ride it on my commute of 6 miles to work) that way.

Or you get killed which has never happened to me.

Really worse than BI is pickup trucks. Snow melts in their beds and then runs out as water when they drive, icing the road on a day with otherwise clear conditions. I seen it.

The Yankees should beat the Tigers.

Should but that does not mean it will happen...
.......Go Tigers! (), I guess after 35 years+ you have supreme confidence astride your bike. Plus you must know the roads in your area like the back of your hand after all that time and have thus skillfully avoided any black ice issues. It still seems crazy to me.....and possibly those like me who have never had to drive for an extended period of time under those conditions. I lived in Mammoth Lakes, CA for a winter, but I never had to drive. While driving at Lake Tahoe over the course of my life, the rare times those conditions came up I always had an area native with me who I could let drive. Re cycles, I guess I got that out of my system off road in some the lava beds in the Mt. Lassen region of Northern California. When I was growing up, the stepdad of one of my friends had some property near Eagle Lake and we would take a couple of the Hondas he kept there off road. My dad used to say if I bought a bike and rode it on the street I wouldn't have to worry about dying on my bike because he would k*** me. I knew this was just hyperbole to get my attention, but I knew he felt that way because he saw many motorcycle widows pay cash for Corvettes. My older cousin (the brother of my little cousin's mom) rode his bike all over the U.S. after college (his fraternity had many chapters and he mostly would just stay at the houses). My dad just shook his head when my cousin did this.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #42
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
No floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no earthquakes, no wildfires
How booooooring
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #43
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
How booooooring
Hurricanes have affected NYC in the past, but have probably only affected nearby parts of New Jersey (Hoboken, Weehawken, Edgewater, Fort Lee, Alpine, and the more exposed northern part of the Jersey Shore), not where Brosin lives -- inland in the southern part of New Jersey.