Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
TPMS

So I picked up a set of Scion XA 17" enkei rims the other day with prefect rubber on them for a good price and decided even though snow is about 2 months away i still wanted to ride them :)

I put them on and it took about 15 miles for the TPMS idiot light to turn on.. I had walmart swap the wheel sets since they were the only place open late..

They scanned the new set of wheels to see if there were any tpms sensors in them and they said they couldnt locate any.. so the next day on the way to work the light came on confirming their find..

so after about 4 days or so (on my way to work saturday) the light stops coming on...

a. could it be they have sensors and the system just found them? (if the tires sat for 9months before i bought would the sensors still work?)

b. Did the car sense my annoyance and disregard for its constant complaining about the sensors

c. Or does the car check periodically and turn the system on and off from time to time..
Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
kou

Drives: 08 lb
after i changed my wheels with non tpms the light took a week to come on. now its on sometimes and off sometimes.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
aight thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I was reading my owners manual this weekend and Toyota is mighty vague about how and when the system decides it needs to turn the light on (other than definitively seeing a low or high pressure). It mentions that the system will become "ineroperable" if tires without sensors are installed, but doesn't say if that inoperability will cause the light to come on...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
A bit off subject but I see so many on here say their tpms lights take awhile to come on. I ran over a screw and punctured a tire twice and my light came on instantly both times.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Do you park near your old tires with the sensors still in them?

Mine are at a friend's house in his backyard, and the driveway is very near (like 15 feet or so) the tires, so when I come over there to hang out and then leave a few hours later, my TPMS light stays off for at least a day.

Otherwise, they're always on.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Do you park near your old tires with the sensors still in them?

Mine are at a friend's house in his backyard, and the driveway is very near (like 15 feet or so) the tires, so when I come over there to hang out and then leave a few hours later, my TPMS light stays off for at least a day.

Otherwise, they're always on.

I believe I have the solution for keeping them off without causing DTCs to be logged. Check out this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9632
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote