Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #109
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
swng and yariman, is that with an automatic or manual transmission.
It is an auto foober.

To yariman: now we have safety in "numbers" .
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #110
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
Right on!!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #111
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
how do you like your automatic transmissions. Any pro's or cons you could talk about. I still haven't decided which one to get.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #112
swng

Hi friend. Members who like manual transmissions will find it very difficult to agree to give up the driving fun and versatility that associate with that kind of transmission.

However, if I am to speak in favour of an auto, I would say that the auto transmission in the Yaris is especially good considering that you almost will not have to give up any fuel economy by choosing it. Please remember, I said almost! This is rare, to say the least. Most auto cars use more fuel to cover the same distance than their manual equivalents.

The auto transmission box on my car has been smooth and trouble free this far(since mid-Oct 05) While it does not have a complete manual option like those found in the expensive cars, its design does allow a little manual selection i.e. you can manually instruct the car to down shift from the 4th to the 3rd gear when you decide that circumstances justify doing so. You just have to pull the gear stick from the right to the left(NB:mine is LHD) to achieve that, and the result is almost instant. Even if you do not do that, you can still kick down easily and the transmission can react to your action at the throttle quite quickly. Actually, my car is quite peppy.

On the whole, I consider my auto difficult to abuse but easy to use(good for my wife), easy to park, easy to drive in hilly areas like the place I live in, easy to control in stop and go situations, and it should be easy to maintain(no manual type clutches to replace). Most importantly, it is one of the very few auto transmissions that almost will not cost you more than a manual equivalent car when it comes to fuel economy. It is almost unique in that respect in the whole market.

However, if you want to have all the driving fun and versatility you can get, then.........

Last edited by swng; 02-27-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:14 AM   #113
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

When I went to the dealer to test drive the Yaris, I already had my mind made up that I would purchase a standard, remembering how gutless a four banger is with an auto. However I thought I would try the new four speed computerized auto. I was amazed that it had pretty much the same power as the standard and I could drive with one hand on the wheel and the other holding my coffee cup. Don't get me wrong, I love to bang through gears with a manual box, but since the Yaris isn't a real screamer I find it nice to stick it in drive and relax. Quite often I wind it up to the rev limiter manually to get all it's got to offer and get a good firm shift to the next gear. Also off the line I can punch it and not get too much wheel-spin and actually take a few other vehicles til the next light. It is nice to be able to drive in "luxery mode" when I feel lazy, plus my wife enjoys it more and my daughter is learning how to drive as well.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:42 AM   #114
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
thanks yariman and swng, I'll probably go with auto then if the right one is available. Hopefully I'll get to test both manual and auto out to see what is most comfortable.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 AM   #115
swng

Whatever you choose, best of luck! Please do not forget to post your fuel economy on this thread after you have driven your new car for a tank or so.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #116
swng

I have tried filling my tank literally to the top. The result - the frist bar on the fuel gauge lasted 161kms. I have been warned against filling the tank to such fullness, but I do not think I really understand the reasons.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #117
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

The reason is that you can get fuel into your evap. canistor and damage it. Fill your tank til the pump clicks off the first time. You can even out your cents but don't keep filling it to the brim.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #118
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
So far my fuel mileage is good specially with this cold days my first tank was i got 450, since the i've been getting about 500 to 530 i do mostly city and have been putting in about 38 liters. my highway driving is usually at most 15 minutes. Montreal isn't that big. and on cold days i usually warm it up about 5 mintues before not bad for a winter climate. i was told by the dealership that the computer remember your driving style for the first 1500km then vary it fuel according to that. also i was told to not drive over 100km, don't rev to high shift at most 3000rpm till then so it thinks you drive efficiently. Not sure it in true, but i'm happy with the mileage i'm getting waiting till summer to see what it cae really get.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:06 AM   #119
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by yariman
The reason is that you can get fuel into your evap. canistor and damage it. Fill your tank til the pump clicks off the first time. You can even out your cents but don't keep filling it to the brim.
Thanks. I squeeze more fuel into the tank mainly because I want to get a longer range. With a longer range, I can afford to wait longer for the ever fluctuating fuel price to come down. Of course, if the fuel price comes down before I get close to the end of my range, I will fill up without any more waiting. In the long run, filling to the top(hence getting a longer range) means lower fuel price on average.
I do not know anything about the function of the evap. canistor but having read your previous high quality posts, I have an intuition that you are right. BTW, what will happen when the evap. canistor is damaged? Will it be costly to fix? I ask just in case mine is already damaged by over filling.
Thanks for your further advice in anticipation.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #120
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

The Evaporative Emission control system ( EVAP) traps gasoline vapours from the fuel system and routes them to a charcoal canister, from where they go to the intake airflow to get burned by the engine. Years ago the vapours where released to the atmosphere, but today this is not allowed. When the fuel tank is filled to the brim, liquid gas can travel into vent lines that go to the charcoal canister and render the canister useless. However EVAP systems today have a liquid-vapor seperator that is designed to prevent this from happening. When the tank is as full as you can get and the vent lines and seperator are all full of liquid gas there is a chance that some liquid could get to the charcoal canister. If your canister has been contaminated you would smell raw gas. Everybody fills their tanks to the top, with todays EVAP systems the chance that any damage could be done is very low so don't worry.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #121
swng

Thank you yariman for the insight. I really appreciate!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #122
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Your welcome!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #123
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Some more data to report

Same habits as before, which is 70% hwy/30% city. Last 4 tanks w/10% ethanol blend fuel yielded 7.21/7.37/7.05/7.12L per 100km. Overall numbers have been steady, now at 7.17L/100km over 5800km.

Looking forward to the warmer weather.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #124
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
Some more data to report

Same habits as before, which is 70% hwy/30% city. Last 4 tanks w/10% ethanol blend fuel yielded 7.21/7.37/7.05/7.12L per 100km. Overall numbers have been steady, now at 7.17L/100km over 5800km.

Looking forward to the warmer weather.
Sounds reasonably good! Please keep posting your numbers.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #125
ange008
It's just me...

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5door RS w/ Pkg. B
I have not gotten my Yaris yet, I get it next week! I just have a few questions:
1. How many km do you get to each bar (automatic 5dr.)? How many bars are there?
2. Is there a trip calculator in the car, I didn't notice it on my test drive?
3.I obviously don't know much about cars, but does gas mileage get better when you break it in? cause I thought it was the other way around...
Old 03-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #126
swng

Hello, here are my observations:

1. About 90 to 170 for the top bar and about 50 to 90 for the others, depending on many factors. There are eight bars. All bars do not last equally long.
2. No for cars in Canada, if you mean sophisticated computerized trip/fuel calculators. However, there are three readings available at the odometer so you can record and read the total distance the car has travelled in its life and two independent trips. The two trip meter readings can be cancelled for re-use in new trips.
3. Yes, if other factors e.g. weather, driving style etc. remain at least unchanged.

Enjoy your new car!

Last edited by swng; 03-09-2006 at 07:22 PM.