Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #127
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Well, here's my input:

First bar tops is 130 for me, min is 80 or so. Every other bar is roughly 70+/- and of courze, it makes a different in Hwy/Cty driving.

And I do have one question tho, did you guys notice that above the odometer, there are panel that is being 'unuse' which you could only probably see it in daytime (If you look really carefully, its there but is NOT lit). Such:
km/h, - 88 C, mph .. etc I notice quite a few of these are there but not being in use. Wonder if any of you guys knows how to trigger these unuse instrument that seems to be there.

Sorry if I am not being too clear, I can probably snap a photo and show you guys what i meant if you guys want to.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #128
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Well, here's my input:

First bar tops is 130 for me, min is 80 or so. Every other bar is roughly 70+/- and of courze, it makes a different in Hwy/Cty driving.

And I do have one question tho, did you guys notice that above the odometer, there are panel that is being 'unuse' which you could only probably see it in daytime (If you look really carefully, its there but is NOT lit). Such:
km/h, - 88 C, mph .. etc I notice quite a few of these are there but not being in use. Wonder if any of you guys knows how to trigger these unuse instrument that seems to be there.

Sorry if I am not being too clear, I can probably snap a photo and show you guys what i meant if you guys want to.
Those are probably for features available for other market (such as Japan). They probably have outside temp gauge, and trip computer. But for Canada, you only get what you can see.
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #129
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Hello, here are my observations:
1. About 90 to 170 for the top bar and about 50 to 90 for the others, depending on many factors. There are eight bars. All bars do not last equally long.
170km for one bar? That's very good!! I guess you're just cruising at 40km/h for that 170km?
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #130
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks for the question Gabl. To avoid reposting, I will have to invite you to read my post on 3.3.06 in this thread. I am confident when warmer weather comes and after we have had proper break in, we all will do better than now. If you fill to the top like what I have done, 170km for the first bar may likely be attainable, especially in summer. If I remember correctly, our much respected fellow member echo_hrs has done exceedingly well with his new Yaris, and his first bar has probably lasted very long. He may not even have filled his tank to the very top.
Note however, there have been valid advices against filling till spill.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #131
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
i've been crusing at about 120km/h to 140km/h on the highway, and the mileage is really sucking. about 270km on 4 bars..
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #132
swng

At that kind of speeds, you economy will be hurt by the headwind, if not the traffic tickets(no offence intended) .
Old 03-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #133
hirosho

Drives: Yaris 3dr hatchback
something wrong with my yaris??

It seems that my yaris (automatic) is not doing well regarding a fuel economy. I put a full tank today and it was 37.4 litres, and my odometre indicated only 444.8km driven. Most of driving for this tank was a city drive. But i think that the official number is 7.1 liter for 100km. I think that this is the third tank for my yaris excluding one from the dealer.

I wonder there is something wrong with my yaris.
hirosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #134
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirosho
It seems that my yaris (automatic) is not doing well regarding a fuel economy. I put a full tank today and it was 37.4 litres, and my odometre indicated only 444.8km driven. Most of driving for this tank was a city drive. But i think that the official number is 7.1 liter for 100km. I think that this is the third tank for my yaris excluding one from the dealer.

Hi hirosho! Thanks for sharing your numbers, which work out to be about 33.55 mpg(imp), or around 8.4l/100km. Not very impressive for a Yaris! However, you said that it has mostly been city driving. We all know that city driving is bad for fuel economy, and of course city driving during busy hours hurts the most. I guess you must have driven a lot in stop and go traffic. Still, I think it is right for you to be concerned. Has your car been due for service yet? Ever come across fuel saving tips like:http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ods.cfm?attr=8?
Please keep on posting here so that all can see if you can achieve better numbers in the future.
FYI, I consistantly get close to 40 miles per imp. gallon(last tank returned 39.83 mpg), mainly because I drive more on highways. There are folks who can do better. So, don't give up!
Thanks for joining in the discussion about fuel economy.

Last edited by swng; 03-17-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #135
hirosho

Drives: Yaris 3dr hatchback
Quote:
FYI, I consistantly get close to 40 miles per imp. gallon(last tank returned 39.83 mpg), mainly because I drive more on highways. There are folks who can do better. So, don't give up!
Thanks for joining in the discussion about fuel economy.
Thank you for a reply. Well, a decker on my windsheild says, the first service will be at 6,000km, therefore, it will be due in a couple of months.

I will keep my number posted. Thanks again.
hirosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #136
Frink

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 door 5 speed
My 2006 5spd Yaris RS was returning milage in the 6.8 to 7 l/100km all winter.
I drive about 50 to 75% highway.
The last two tanks were 6.4 and 6.1 l/100km, I think the slightly better weather combined with a more worked in motor (about 9000km now and first oil change done) is giving me some better milage numbers.
I've also noticed that the car dosen't really mind being driven a bit more agressively. I was always trying to keep the rev's down and shift early... but as long as you're not flooring it, I dosen't really hurt the fuel economy to shift at 3500 or so.
Hopefully this keeps up and I'll be in the 5's soon.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #137
LAHAL

Drives: 07 Yaris RS B package Manuel
First tank, cost me about 38 bucks, got 492.5km. when i filled up, it stopped at 38 litters, so there was still 4 litres in the tanks.
LAHAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #138
swng

Thank you Frink and LAHAL. Your numbers will help me and others who have joined in this fuel economy discussion know how well we and our cars are doing.
Frink, your numbers are good!
LAHAL, not a bad start and I believe your numbers will improve as your car begins to break in.
Please keep posting here and thank you again!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #139
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

So..... oil change actually does improve milage? My number seems to be getting worst for the last week or so, and I got rougly 5000km.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #140
mfpc

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 Door
New Auto Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirosho

Yello - got 460 KMs on my shiny new Silver 06 RS 5 door with the auto (and occasionally I've been enjoying the rev happy engine quite a bit I must say...)

460KM's and like less than 10 KM's ago the third bar tripped so I am left with two bars on the fuel guage..

I don't think my autotrans is hurting the economy at this point.

I intend to use a jerrycan and run the tank as dry as I dare, but it seems even at this early point my autoyaris is getting way better numbers than your machine my friend - maybe she is sick...

Alot of hills in your area by any chance? I'm in rolly southern ontario - lots of mild hills, nothing too strenuous...

RC
Old 03-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #141
mfpc

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 Door
Autotrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
how do you like your automatic transmissions. Any pro's or cons you could talk about. I still haven't decided which one to get.
I got the auto for my wife, shes a nervous driver with a stick-shift.

I am REALLY happy with the auto in this car! I've had a bunch of cars with various autos (ther worst being my F-150's slushbox... alot of revving, not alot of forward momentum...)

The Yaris-Electro-slushbox is a rather clever peice of kit with all its electronically controlled clutches... not alot of Auto-gear-hunting as is present on many xmissions (finally marketing hype that ISN'T hype!!). I hate the spindly shifter stalk, and the gating maked for alot of Neutrals when I should be in drive (I guess I'll get used to the fancy gating) but the quick drop to third out of OD makes ofr enthusiastic passing on the highway.

No complaints bro - in city stop-and-go I DEFINITELY don't miss the stick, and dropping to 3rd using the gate-shift gives me that manual thrill (albeit not quite the same I admit)

lets see if my tune is the same after another 460KM's

rc
Old 03-20-2006, 11:53 PM   #142
swng

Once again, I filled till it spilled and the first fuel gauge bar lasted 185.3km(30/70% city/highway driving). I may not do it again. Just could not resist the temptaton of doing it for once or twice.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #143
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
you spilled it? haha sorry.
was it alot that spilled?

was it empty when you went to fill it?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:26 PM   #144
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Quote:
Once again, I filled till it spilled and the first fuel gauge bar lasted 185.3km(30/70% city/highway driving). I may not do it again. Just could not resist the temptaton of doing it for once or twice.
Very impressive 185.3 for first fuel. Max I have got is near 130 clicks.

I bet you guys answer that question already, but what's the max Litre when you guys filled. from nearly empty, let's say. I have filled 40.8 Litres before and the last gauge bar was flashin' like crazy. In manual it said its 42. I figure 42-40.8, it's like I have less than a 2L coke in there.... haha.