Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #109
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You don't have an exhaust. We could use you as the test bunny and maybe get a sedan test pipe made too. Who knows... if it turns out nice enough maybe some others would want one.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #110
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Road trippin for the Ohio boys this weekend I see.... There ain't much else here to do though, if we ain't workin, we are workin on our cars, or going to see people for new ideas to do more work on our cars.... Hey good idea... when it gets warm,
CEDAR POINT-Yaris Adventure Extreme
What do ya'll think?
Maybe once it warms up.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #111
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
would the MAF work if its up side down

thank you PetersRedYaris for the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg down here.JPG (36.3 KB, 141 views)
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
Old 03-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #112
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Um air can only flow one way though that baby
Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #113
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Um air can only flow one way though that baby
that suck (nice pun)
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
Old 03-19-2007, 06:19 AM   #114
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
the MAF is directional. It must be installed "facing" the same way it was removed. Rotation in the tube, plastic, rubber intke you have does not matter.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #115
ChinoCharles
Banned

Betty is gone, off somewhere in the Ashtabula area being examined. I should have a call sometime this week about our first MAF adapter plate. Stay tuned.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #116
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
"Price, Price, Price" (chanting)... If it's low enough I may replace my swiss cheese box regardless... You know you can get a matrix short ram intake pipe with a K&N fliter included (with shipping) for $57.00 on ebay. Maybe it's shit, but how bad can an aluminum pipe be?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #117
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
"Price, Price, Price" (chanting)... If it's low enough I may replace my swiss cheese box regardless... You know you can get a matrix short ram intake pipe with a K&N fliter included (with shipping) for $57.00 on ebay. Maybe it's shit, but how bad can an aluminum pipe be?

Its the SIZE of the pipe that matters... too big an inside diameter, and it will cause the car to run like shit. Search some of the guys that did a home made intake back after the summertime and posted their results here.

KSIBucky says he's having zero issues with his Matrix intake, but not to sound like a dick, Id really have to question his opinion of what works and what doesnt work.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #118
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Chris07LB: That's exactly what I was wondering. I guess that option is out. Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #119
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Wow you're right. Good eye Chino. I'm still very interested with what you come up with Chino for a lost of reasons. 1) Obviously a guy that has a passion for the same car I own 2) Sounds like you have some really knowledgable guys 3) Looking to make a really good product, not one that is necessarily the shiniest with the most HP stickers or the one the most profitable to make. Your talk of a reasonably priced intake got me looking at intakes in the first place. Thanks for the forwarning about the XLR8. Now lets get that intake done!
Trust me, nobody is as anxious as myself. I literally blew a week and a half of school and about 300 bucks in gas and parts getting that prototype done and drumming up local interest. Now I'm in the only phase of the project I have no control over and it kills me, but at the same time I can't help but feel this sense of relaxation knowing that I'm almost there and that most of my legwork is now done.

The first intake goes to Chris for testing because I trust him to give me a no-bullshit answer and because I know that if he does approve it holds massive weight here. That is the real make-or-break time for this. If he pulls it out of the box and says its shit, this fairy tale ends right there. If he rants and raves about how great it is, I expect I will have one busy summer of building intakes, and trust me when I say I'd love to do it!

I will say that I have a good feeling about it. I thoroughly enjoyed having the ugly-ass prototype in my car, and I can only assume I'll get even more enjoyment out of the finished version. I figure if I like it it only makes sense you guys will too.

The amount of day-to-day support I get from you guys is pretty remarkable. For everyone that has let me known in advance outside YW that you're interested, thank you, thank you, thank you. For everyone that has told me they're waiting Visa-in-hand to buy this thing, THANK YOU!!! You guys made it easy to move through some of the hurdles we ran into.

Honestly, I only did this because, well, its something I hadn't done before. I learned a lot about business and cars and people in the meantime, and I also learned that this whole parts building thing isn't as easy as it sounds. You need to have all this shit in house to make it easy... CNC machining, welding, powder coating, dyno, everything. I would literally sell my soul to work in a place like that, let alone own a place like that. I know nothing about cars, but I can, as they say, "sell a snowball to an eskimo." Maybe I can bullshit my way to the top one day... one day.

Anyway, now I'm just waxing poetic... I should have the first intake built within a week, and then we can all wait patiently for Chris's take on my intake.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 03-19-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #120
Poorboy

Drives: 07 liftback
i'll be picking mine up in person
Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #121
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nice Poorboy! You can save on shipping that way, haha.

Come to the casa, we've got a brick oven in the kitchen. Makes a bomb pizza.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #122
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I will be grabbing one as well Chino! So we going to have another Ohio get together, buy some intakes, and Chino cook up some brick oven pizza, killer
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #123
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Dear Sir,

Please send brick oven personal size pizza with my intake.

Thank you
Old 03-21-2007, 12:52 AM   #124
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Dear Sir,

Please send brick oven personal size pizza with my intake.

Thank you
I deliver to New Jersey, but you can't afford it.

I just had a lightbulb.

Wouldn't it be some shit if we could fab up a little ram air box for the end of this thing and figure out a solid way to make it function?

garysairbox08thumb.jpg
garysairbox09thumb.jpg

If you use the stock grill you'd have to put a couple of 90 degree bends in the ram air tubing to reach the filter. Thats out... bends render this useless. Could get a relatively straight shot from the fog light area, but I want fog lights one day. Hmmm...
Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #125
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
get a meet going closer to toledo (or chicago.. *cough* *cough* haha) and I may have to cruise on through :)
Old 03-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #126
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Why not come off the lower grill? Kind like those stupid front mount intercooler looking air filters. OR have an aluminum panel like the C-one one. Have a small louver punched in it and have the piping go to that. Hold on its Paint time....

Edit: NM it was Inventor time. This was done in like 2 secs. Like an under body scoop. Filter on top, air on bottom. I did it that way to help stop water from being slung up into the filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoop.JPG (5.6 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by jdubau55; 03-21-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Closed Thread