Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
lawnmowerdeth

Drives: 2008 Yaris
15K service @ dealer... WTF?

So I went to the dealer and said I needed the 15k service interval. I also have free oil changes for 2 years, it was part of the deal they offered when buying the car.

"Ok, the 15K will be $209".

I looked at what is on the list for 15k, and there ain't anything that looks like its worth over $200. Unless that air filter is made of gold or something. Or maybe $150 in labor to get to that cabin filter!

I did of course say "no thanks, just an oil change please".

My last car was a 350Z (No BS!), and there were no service intervals that cost that much before 50,000 miles.
lawnmowerdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
That's about it. They're trying to sell you the air filter / cabin filter as a necessity, seeing as how the oil change is free.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
lawnmowerdeth

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
That's about it. They're trying to sell you the air filter / cabin filter as a necessity, seeing as how the oil change is free.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some AMAZING service I was missing out on... I'm pretty capable of changing out filters myself. :)
lawnmowerdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Just find out the materials used to perform the required service, and then do it yourself for 1/4 the amount.

Although when the car is under 36k miles its probably better to let the stealership do the work since its on file, just incase something major happens you have proof that they kept your car maintained and you didnt let it happen because of LACK of maintenance.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
Yeah unless its something major I just let them do an oil change since they always check everything for free anyway and the fact I don't have to deal with the desposal of the oil myself. I'm definately not buying in to no cabin filter. Its nice but not for the price.
minired5stby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by minired5stby View Post
Yeah unless its something major I just let them do an oil change since they always check everything for free anyway and the fact I don't have to deal with the desposal of the oil myself. I'm definately not buying in to no cabin filter. Its nice but not for the price.
They only cost $8.99.......
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
I'm definately not buying in to no cabin filter. Its nice but not for the price.
Make your own. There is a thread on how to do it.

My dealership is real proud of their prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YARIS 2.jpg (83.1 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
My dealer was going to do a 15k for me too...until he said it involved a TB cleaning and an oil change for well over $200.
Since I use my own oil(actually get it done for me for $10 bucks bring my own)and can clean the TB myself I was at a loss why it was to cost so much. So I'm gonna review the DIY on the TB cleaning and move on...
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
They only cost $8.99.......
That may be the cost for the filter but they charge $70 the last time I saw @ the dealership for the service. I guess I better learn how if I ever wanna get one put in then.
minired5stby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
That may be the cost for the filter but they charge $70 the last time I saw @ the dealership for the service. I guess I better learn how if I ever wanna get one put in then.
I can change mine in 45 seconds....I timed myself!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
maintanance is where the service department makes ther moolah. The 15k interverals and the 30k intervals. If you look in your owners manual nothing is really required besides oil changes and air filter to 100k miles. Cabin air filter and air filter is easy enough to do it yourself. Even oil change. You are probally better off taking your car to a local auto repair shop that you can trust to do your oil changes. And then have them check your air filter and only change it when its nessisary. You will save yourself tons and tons of money in the ownership of your vehicle.

Finding a good shop and mechanic for your car is like finding a good doctor or dentist. If you dont have one already you should find one. Or you probally have a neighbor or relative that can reccomend one locally.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #12
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Wallmart is selling a cabin fillter w/ baking soda for echo and I think it will fit on our yaris.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Napa has it for $13.47...or $8.50 in their Altrom import line [P/N 3602463]

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
robkay

Drives: Hatch
I went thru the same ripoff song and dance at the dealership where I bought my Yaris. No way baby. I did take it there for the very first service because I thought it might be good to develop a "relationship." Unfortunately, the next time I called them for a price on a scheduled service I learned that their interpretation of a "relationship" was....mmmm, guess I'd better not say that....

With the economy being so bad the dealerships have know qualms about doing what the have to do to make money. Many of us buy imports to obtain a reliable, quality vehicle. Unfortunately, the owners of the dealerships are still "domestics."

Anyway, an oil change is so easy on a Yaris. I bought a pair of Rhino Ramps on sale at Murrays and do it myself. Everything is right out in the open where you can reach it so easily. And you know that your dealer isn't "fixing" something else when he has your car up on the rack.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
v-tech

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan, 5 Speed
I love the dealerships up here, for some reason they can't figure out how to tell their computer that, really, "i don't have a cabin air filter" so every time i go in for servicing they say 'oh my, you're way over due for your cabin air filter' so i tell them if they can find it they can change it. the car just doesn't have it.

As for the 15k service, my brakes were squeaking and i asked the dealer to check them out, when i came back he told me they were never lubricated (i'm assuming he meant the pins) and that they had to replace my calipers because they were ceased...... a 2008 with 15k on it and only owned the car for 4 months. I was shocked more than anything but they covered it under warranty.
v-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
RangerBEH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
my maintenance light went off for that stupid 15,000 check. I didn't know what was going on. i thought there was an actual problem not telling me to get an engine and cabin air filter....

live and learn....