Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
bewley

Drives: 2010 Liftback
Clazzio Seat Cover Questions

So I'm considering buying Clazzios but have some questions for those who have them. I didn't see these questions answered in any other threads but please direct me to an earlier thread if they were.

I'm considering PVC all around. It's cheaper and 1) it seems to me that PVC will possibly wear better than leather (I had leather seats in an old bimmer and the driver's seat fabric was pretty shot after years of use). 2) the leather is just the middle insert so not that much of the seat is leather anyway, so maybe the added expense isn't worth it. 3) The PVC inserts seem to be perforated just like the leather ones, which I think looks good. It also means that if I get seat warmers at some point, the heat will easily penetrate.

So I'm thinking I'd rather save the money. Here are my concerns, and I thought you guys could weigh in (and correct any misconceptions I have above). Off-gassing. For how long do these things smell after installation? I guess the leather ones would off-gas too because of PVC siding? Also, do you think there is any health risk in putting heated seats under PVC? Like if the PVC were to be heated, would it off-gas further?

In the photos that I've seen of the back seat in the lb, the fit is a little baggy. Does this get worse over time? Is it passable or really kind of non-custom-looking? Also, does the added thickness of the backseat affect the fold-flat feature? Does the fabric (PVC or leather) get damaged from folding flat? Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide.
bewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I didn't notice any smell after installing mine. I yanked the 60/40 rear seat so that cover is still new in the box. Next best thing I ever did for my interior.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have the perforated leather ones, and after more than three years there is still no sign of wear. My rears never had a baggy look, and they don't interfere with folding down the rear seats.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
bewley

Good to know there's not a strong smell and that the thickness doesn't affect folding the seats down.

Regarding heating the PVC, I guess it's no different from the heat of summer and so many cars have pleather interiors (BMW has leatherette on base models, for instance) so you'd think it would be safe-ish. Heck, there's even a song that Grace Jones, Nine Inch Nails, and The Normal all have versions of called "Warm Leatherette," which I've always loved, though it's about the scene of a car crash). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewley View Post
Good to know there's not a strong smell and that the thickness doesn't affect folding the seats down.

Regarding heating the PVC, I guess it's no different from the heat of summer and so many cars have pleather interiors (BMW has leatherette on base models, for instance) so you'd think it would be safe-ish. Heck, there's even a song that Grace Jones, Nine Inch Nails, and The Normal all have versions of called "Warm Leatherette," which I've always loved, though it's about the scene of a car crash). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4
As long as you buy decent ones that have internal temperature regulation you should be fine. Some of the cheapy ones get crazy hot.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
I too got the all PVC ones, as I didn't think it was worth paying extra so I could say, "oh, look at my Clazzios, they're 25% real leather!" I think it's a very valid point, and I'm still stumped on what the appeal is of having just that center insert be real leather versus that back and sides being PVC.

I never noticed any strong smells from the covers after I installed them. If you think they smell a little when you get them, I'd suggest you leave them in a less often used room in your house. I got them when I was living by myself in a little apartment and left them out in the main room for awhile while I was waiting for warm enough weather to install them. No bad smell then either.

Never noticed that the back seat being too baggy. My only real problem was that I've never been able to get the cover completely under the plastic bits around the seat levers for moving the seats fore and aft, and folding them.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
I too got the all PVC ones, as I didn't think it was worth paying extra so I could say, "oh, look at my Clazzios, they're 25% real leather!" I think it's a very valid point, and I'm still stumped on what the appeal is of having just that center insert be real leather versus that back and sides being PVC.

I never noticed any strong smells from the covers after I installed them. If you think they smell a little when you get them, I'd suggest you leave them in a less often used room in your house. I got them when I was living by myself in a little apartment and left them out in the main room for awhile while I was waiting for warm enough weather to install them. No bad smell then either.

Never noticed that the back seat being too baggy. My only real problem was that I've never been able to get the cover completely under the plastic bits around the seat levers for moving the seats fore and aft, and folding them.
Leather is more comfortable than vinyl, since it breaths. But, it is not as flexible, which is why many (even OEM) leather seats use vinyl for the sides.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
bewley

good idea about airing them out for a few days before installing.

and thanks CTScott, I was wondering why there wasn't a full leather option for the seats.

i have no doubt that leather is more comfortable than vinyl. my thing is how often is my skin gonna make contact with the [as jpmck03 mentions] 25% leather? i mean i dont generally drive around Brooklyn in a thong... though i guess i might resort to such measures to scare up some money for the leather option.

btw, i do know that these are extremely cheap, lovely, and well worth the money when compared with total custom or other covers.

Last edited by bewley; 10-10-2012 at 12:53 AM.