Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
donsims30
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007yaris
A/C compressor won't engage. with power and A+ Freon

Hi everyone,
I have a 2007 yaris 4 door non-hatchback... My wife was driving it the other day and the A/C started blowing hot air. Of course first thing I thought was to re-charge it.. That didn't help, so I checked the power going to the compressor... It's getting a little over 13 volts when the a/c is turned on... The clutches aren't engaging though.. I did notice that the engine fan comes on the minute you turn on the a/c whether the car is hot or not. Also the minute you turn off the a/c the cooling fan shuts off... I used to be a car guy and always prided myself on being able to repair my own car.. I broke my back a few years ago in the Army, and just can't stand bending over or laying on the ground for too much amount of time now. I also can't find a repair manual on the car, so I'm kinda stuck.. Hoping someone can give me some ideas on what to troubleshoot... I figured it shouldn't be a relay if there's power going to the compressor. The parts shop said it might be the ambient temp switch but I don't know if that would stop the compressor from cycling on completely?? Is there another sensor I should be checking or does it seem maybe I need a new compressor??? I'd try to rebuild the clutch but can't find a part to do it.. Any help would be great. Thanks Guys
donsims30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you see 12 volts on the green wire to the compressor, the AC ECU is engaging the clutch, so if it is not actually spinning the compressor, then it sounds like the clutch is bad. Toyota does not sell parts to repair the clutch, but someone on here recently mentioned repairing one by adding an extra washer to the clutch. I don't believe he posted any pictures or more details than that.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
For the repair manual go here: http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote