Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Trading in the Yaris

Hello fellow Yaris members, so I've had my Yaris for about 4 months. I'm considering trding It in for 2001-2005 Miata. Help talk me into keeping my Yaris. I r4eally want something that has a lil' more power and a lil more tuning potential. Being an ex-Honda guy. I had a civic before with a full LS motor swap with shit load of bolt ons. It was pretty quick for what It was. I've always wanted something rear wheel drive, I really don't know why I got the Yaris but I've grown attached to my car. I'll appreciate any feed back. What would you guys do? I'm breaking even on the car note and insurance.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Hmmmmmm... I'd love a miata. They are little terrorists to drive hard and cheap to upgrade. I had thought about getting one, but aside from my jeep, my Yarii is my DD. As such it has to be able to wear a bunch of hats; reliable, best mpg, haul and carry stuff, keep out the elements, simple, scoot around, throttle the sh*t out of it when I can. All of those things are buku important to me, and when I think of getting rid of it, I can't think of something else that fit's all of those bills, so I keep it.
If you've got a different priority set, then I'd get something else, and miata's are cool. Besides, more tuning will come down the pike, and the year miata's you want will only get cheaper with time!
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
Help talk me into keeping my Yaris.
Face + Wet Fish [Repeatedly]
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
keep the yaris....buy an old miata...tune it up and leave it for the track
Old 09-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Why would you trade in a car you've had for 4 months? You're going to lose a bunch of money you could have spent tuning the Yaris in the first place. It makes no sense.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I had 2 Miatas and loved them both. But unlike the Yaris, the Miata isn't a very practical daily driver (for me). When I move out of Florida, I'll probably get another Miata as a weekend fun car. But, it's just too damn hot and humid here to enjoy a convertible.

Well, hbkid82, you live in MD, so wouldn't your Yaris be a better year 'round car for you.
Seems a Miata would be more of a seasonal driver where you are. Why not find a nice used one (rust-free out of State) ...they're dirt cheap... and enjoy it as a second (fair-weather) car.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
With the thousands and thousands of dollars that you are going to lose by trading in a 4-month-old car, you could make the Yaris into a monster!
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Seems a Miata would be more of a seasonal driver where you are.
Right on Kimona. I have an older one and even with a factory hard top its still best as a seasonal driver in TN.

However if you don't have a long high speed commute and never plan to carry more than one passenger and a couple bags of groceries, it's fine on a daily basis.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
Take any good dope to think that.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I'd say look at the long term and think, will you need a practicle car. Don't get me wrong the Miata is a very nice car. My dad has an 03 and its his "dream" car, I love it, he loves it. But like others say financially it doesn't make sense at this time to get rid of the Yaris. With the money loss you can mod the Yaris ...no it won't be a Miata but you can make it handle close to one! Good luck!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
hatchbackkid82

I know I would have lost a lot of money trading it in , I was going to sell It private through Autotrader, I had a few buyers that we're willing to give me what I was asking for, so I really wouldn't lost any money on the car. I decided to keep the Yairs, Miata is nice but in the long run It's just not as practical a car as the Yaris is. Thanks everyone
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #12
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
We saved another one!!

Good for you man. I spent all weekend coveting other cars online and nothing really stacks up to the Yaris. Gas mileage wise that is. I just couldn't give up my baby.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Yaris Turbo = $3500 Go for it! MPG stays the same, just uses premium fuel.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
i had mine for 10 months before trading it in. weak power. great gas mileage. take your pick. i wanted the power.

2008 pontiac solstice gxp. the turbo is the freakin shiz. spinnin those rear tires at 3000rpm never felt so good.

i'd def take a look at the pontiac/saturn before going with the miata. my ex-gf bought a miata. felt weak. my solstice would eat it alive.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
hatchbackkid82

Lol, Yes you saved another one death is my gift. I dunno though tekmoe a Turbo Yaris would put up a good fight with your Solstice. Hehe. Hey does your Solstice transform into Jazz, sorry couldn't help It. I remember watching that movie and then going out to the Yaris and just being like transform DAMMIT, i know you can. Anyway nice buy tekmoe
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
34 mpg city is all I have to say

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
bnther36

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
I went through 3 brand new cars in 7 months so I know the frustration of loosing mega-bucks. It just doesn't make sense to drive something that you don't like. The Yaris is a good car. For the money, it is the best car I've ever purchased. But it's not perfect. It doesn't have the performance of my Subaru, it doesn't have the ride of my Camry but it DOES make me smile every time I fill it up

For me, the Yaris is a keeper (providing it makes it through the icey roads this winter). Will it be the only car I ever drive...No. I've always been an off-road driver so the Yaris is sort of scaring the people who know me. They're asking me how my mid-life crisis is coming. But I point to the mileage and remind them that the polar ice cap might actually be gone before we die. I drive the Yaris to help the polar bear but mostly to screw over the oil barons.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #18
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Glad you're keeping it. Who knows, maybe you'll find a mx-5 for a steal someday when you've got a few bucks in your pocket.... bucks you've got cause you saved so much $ on gas and reliability! LOL! I don't know how far I'll end up taking my Yari, but I'm always on the lookout for an MR2 or a miata for super-cheap as a pure track/autoX car. Just not my daily driver.
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote