Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #55
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINOeggxo View Post
The drive ability feels like a stock car, doesn't behave much differently. if anything it feels a little MORE like a RWD car because the front sway bar was removed. but after 500 miles of mountain back road driving to and from vermont i would say it handles very well still. (i/we were not pushing the car to its limits, but for swift backroad driving it felt as good as when i was just on springs)

the drive height setting isn't that stiff or bouncy. it doesnt feel much harder than when the car was on micro image springs. i never paid too much attention to how stiff it was before but i can say that it doesn't fell that bad at all. its a lot less stiff than my boyfriends R32 on H&R street coilovers(and some other suspension mods). BUT the way the system works is if you air the car up REALLY high the ride will be VERY stiff and VERY bouncy. the bags are like the springs, so airing it up high means a lot of PSI in the bags and a hard ride. but the regular drive height i use is pretty nice.

the struts i have (and i cannot guarantee the struts that we are working on getting will be 100% the same) uses a threaded strut with a collard bag (think coilover) and they DO have adjustable dampening. hopefully the kits we are working on feature the same things. pretty much you'll get your struts, wind the bag all the way down and lock it into place.. i mean everyone wants max lowness right :)

no weight limit that i know of. we have had myself and 3 passengers plus some luggage in the car and all i had to do was air the bags up a little extra to compensate for the weight. the management i use offers 8 different presets so you can have quick settings to go to, or use manual mode and air up each corner independently.

maintenance: empty the water traps and tank from time to time. only other problem i have had was a fuse in the system for the compressor, which is convienently located under the hood, has blown out twice. this happens from time to time on everyone we know with air ride. so during install, either professional or yourself, make sure to leave it easily accessible. possibly may have to add some anti-freeze(like semi trucks or regular air compressors) to the tank and lines for winter but we will see if that is needed.

like above the compressors have not had a problem, only the fuse. my kit uses (2) 380CC vlair compressors. they are pretty high quality and i believe i have 2 so that they work together and faster rather than making one compressor do all the work and put a lot of stress on it.

hopefully these answered your questions, they were very good ones i'm glad someone asked. if anyone else is curious feel free to ask :) i wanna help the community as much as i can and grow our aftermarket support :)
Great info thanks. Im sure it will be great help for others in the future.

The last question I have is how do the bags work like springs? Do they compress? If so do you have to refill the bags after big bumps? If they don't compress, how is there any compression and rebound?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #56
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Think of the airbag as an accordion-style balloon with really thick walls. The "balloon" is attached at the top and bottom perches where the spring would normally sit. Put air into it and the bag expands vertically. Remove air from it and it compresses. Since the air in the bag doesn't escape on its own, your car will always remain at the same ride height depending on amount of air inside. As for going over bumps, you do not need to refill them because the air inside the bag does not go anywhere when the bag compresses over bumps. Like a balloon, the airbag will expand outward slightly under compression, but return to its normal state after going over the bump.

@CTScott - I could measure it this weekend if you want. What part do you want me to measure?
Attached Images
File Type: gif example.gif (114.8 KB, 246 views)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #57
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Think of the airbag as an accordion-style balloon with really thick walls. The "balloon" is attached at the top and bottom perches where the spring would normally sit. Put air into it and the bag expands vertically. Remove air from it and it compresses. Since the air in the bag doesn't escape on its own, your car will always remain at the same ride height depending on amount of air inside. As for going over bumps, you do not need to refill them because the air inside the bag does not go anywhere when the bag compresses over bumps. Like a balloon, the airbag will expand outward slightly under compression, but return to its normal state after going over the bump.

@CTScott - I could measure it this weekend if you want. What part do you want me to measure?
Any measurement that I can compare to stock would be great. Perhaps raise it up all the way and measure from the top strut bolt to the bottom of the strut tower?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #58
Form>Function

I see perfect thanks.

I was aware of their shape and how they sat in the unit thats why I was unsure of how they react to bumps. It would be brutal if you filled them and they sat like big rocks and didnt move lol. Thats pretty cushy I imagine must be nice for a daily. Under extreme pressure can the bags rupture? Assuming you would probably have to do Dukes of Hazard stunts to put that much pressure on them lol

Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #59
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Rupture? Definitely.
That's why a warning is given for any bag install - NEVER drive when bag is maxed out or when bag has no air at all.

Airbag like virginity, one prick all gone.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #60
Form>Function

Wow thats good to know what about debris? Can it gouge/pop bags?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #61
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Well, actually the wall of the bag is pretty tough and able to withstand any road debris. You would have to deliberately puncture it to make a hole.

@CTScott - I'll see what I can do.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #62
Form>Function

Good info. Thanks

Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #63
DINOeggxo

Drives: white yaris hatchback.
sorry havent been checking much the past few days. been busy

my kit has a beveled rear bag (like posted above) and the fronts have a slimmer sleeve like bag. like the bag on the front strurts seen on this scion kit http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...ANAGEMENT.html

as far as bag material: like already said its pretty heavy duty, much like the bags you would see on semi trucks or city buses. only they are much smaller, and those bags go for 100's of thousands of miles normally without problems. i really feel like that if i ever have a leak in my system it wont be from one of the bags. *knock on wood*

@CTScott: for my max ride height the fronts probably put the car at the same height it was on Micro Image springs. the rear when maxed out probably has almost 2 feet of lift above the wheel haha. but like has been said it is NOT suggested to drive around for long periods of time with the bags maxed out. the ride is VERY VERY hard and could cause ruptured bags.

thanks yarisugi for chiming in also with his bagged knowledge and experience. thanks for answering the question about how the bags act as the springs.

http://www.facebook.com/events/409623035736058/ i will be at this event in the cleveland, OH area. if anyone wants to check it out in person

Last edited by DINOeggxo; 09-08-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: adding link
DINOeggxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #64
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

@CTScott - Sorry, I couldn't measure from strut bolt to tower. Why? Because the
aigbags are filled with air, blocking my tape measure. So I measure it another way.
I measured vertically from hub center to fender edge. I suppose this would be a good
reference point regardless of tire/wheel size. Front measured 16 inches and rear was
17-1/2 inches. Hope this helps. The picture is of the suspension at its highest point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxheight.jpg (150.5 KB, 229 views)
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #65
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
^ Actually that is perfect. I am trying to figure out for Crashy 2 if I can use airbags to allow me to transition between plowing height and driving height.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #66
jerome
Toyota

Drives: '11 5dr/5spd yaris
oh wow, it's nice to see this stickied.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #67
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
im torn between getting this airride kit or do an upgrade to a better coilover set :P
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #68
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by vten View Post
im torn between getting this airride kit or do an upgrade to a better coilover set :P
Depending on what you're doing with the car air is awesome!! But if you want all out performance real good coilovers can't be beat (at least not yet in the yaris market: Air Lift has a track car sti running it's air ride). If you want awesome looks then air all the way

The adjustability and looks when slammed is awesome. I love dinoeggs car, driving it is real fun too.
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #69
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Yeah ... I'm liking the idea that you can slam the car all the way down when parking :)

Any update on the price Sasquatch ?
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #70
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Noooooo! Don't do it!
Save your money, buy a house. :)
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #71
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by vten View Post
Yeah ... I'm liking the idea that you can slam the car all the way down when parking :)

Any update on the price Sasquatch ?
Psh I wish. Our friend is still working.

The problem is that the manufacturer that made dinoeggs doesn't really want to sell Just struts as they make some kits too. But the rest of the kit is expensive and kinda crappy for how much you pay. So our dealer is tryin to get them to sell just the struts because he would be able to supply a wider variety of management options amd make a better kit for less money and be able to give you great after sale customer service if needed.

I'm either case the struts will likely remain as "built to order" because most companies see no market in the yaris scene. He'll air lift is one of the largest companies in the game and they don't even make mk1 VW front struts for the same reason.

Hopefully we will hear soon
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #72
J.A.R.V.I.S.
war machine

Drives: 2012 yaris LE
I would be down for a group buy
J.A.R.V.I.S. is offline   Reply With Quote