Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Dec24th

Drives: '10 Yaris 3 door HB
Bought a new Sedan, now I want the 3 door liftback.

Ok,
I'm a person that can't decide on anything so quickly.
I bought a 2010 Yaris Sedan just before Thanksgiving 09. Now 7 weeks and 2 days later, I've got a change of heart.
I want to go back to the same Toyota dealership and trade in my 7 week old sedan to a new hitchback. Is this a dumb move? It seems like I am in a good position and good timing to do the trade in now. It has under 1850 miles on it.
I am fully away the car has lost its value the second we drove it off the lot and I will be losing money if I trade it in. But I want to be happy and get the model I really want.

Please anyone, give me your advice.

Each time I see a hitchback it makes me want it more and more and makes me hate my sedan more and more. The 3 door is more my personality and its sleeker and a sedan is not suitable for me right now and in the future (no kids ever!)

ToRn between doors,
Allan
Dec24th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
Why did you not just buy the 3 Door HB the first time ??

What were you thinking about when you got the Sedan ??

Honestly I would just stay with the Sedan, when I bought mine I just got the bassic package. A few weeks later I wanted the S, But in the long run everything work out. Now all the work I did to my car is worth it. I would not trade it in for the world.
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I went thinking I wanted a three door, looked at both of them closely and decided the sedan was better. I've never regretted the decision.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Get a hatch, you wont regret it! IMO the sedan isnt styled quite like the LB... looks too much like a corolla and got an ugly back end. If you dont have kids and want a sporty ride, get the hatch!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"

Last edited by YAR1S; 01-14-2010 at 10:22 PM.
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Life can't be to pleasant if you're constantly hating your car. Even though it will cost you, your mental health will thank you if you get the hatch!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Dec24th

Drives: '10 Yaris 3 door HB
to Yar1s and Doc,
Yes. and yes! I spoke with my mom, who is the co-buyer/signer, and she seems ok with the idea of being in the dealership for another 8 hours.
Now, I know I will be losing money and probably more but I will be much more happy and healthier. and I know I wont regret it!

I want it in Yellow Jolt but my region and dealer does not carry it in yellow! The closest one I can find is in Cincinnati. If I get my dealer to ship one from Cincinnati in the color I' TRULY love on a car, then I will be forever happy! How much do you think shipping will be? If I can't get it shipped, then I'll stick with black.

I won't have kids and I can sacrifice some trunk space, I think I'll be ok with two less doors and less trunk space.

Thank you guys.
More advice and input is welcome,
Aa
Dec24th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You would probably be out of loss about 2-4 grand. New car depreciates soon as you drive it off the lot. Dealer can no longer sell it as a new car but as a used car. Honestly its a really dumb move to do this unless you really can not stand the sedan. I think also you loose all the taxes that you spend the registration etc. Lots of stuff you can not recoupe when you trade it in. So really you might be out 3-5 grand down the toilet. Look up KBB trade in value for you car. Thats what you are expected to get for it. If its financed you will end up upside down on the loan big time. You will owe way more than the car you are going to is even worth.

They will pay off your old one than transfer the remaining balance of your loan and then pile the leftoever you still owe on top of your new loan and your car payments will go up and you have a car thats kbb value new is still worth less than the car you were in.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
you may be able to get $12,500 > $13,250 for a trade . There's a $750 TOYOTA rebate at this time in your region to help with the gap . You should be able to get an additional dealer discount of $750 > $1,000 to make the change more worth it . We got the $750 TOYO rebate and the $ 750 dealer discount . The REBATE from TOYOTA benefits both parties . The $750 is money back in the dealers pocket . Thus a discount of their own is not out of the question . The longer you wait the more money you'll lose . I figure the YARIS loses around $85 a month for trade in value . Plus with gas prices starting to rise the rebates and discounts may disappear or be less due to higher demand . It's a crap shoot . GOOD LUCK .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
You would probably be out of loss about 2-4 grand. New car depreciates soon as you drive it off the lot. Dealer can no longer sell it as a new car but as a used car. Honestly its a really dumb move to do this unless you really can not stand the sedan. I think also you loose all the taxes that you spend the registration etc. Lots of stuff you can not recoupe when you trade it in. So really you might be out 3-5 grand down the toilet. Look up KBB trade in value for you car. Thats what you are expected to get for it. If its financed you will end up upside down on the loan big time. You will owe way more than the car you are going to is even worth.

They will pay off your old one than transfer the remaining balance of your loan and then pile the leftoever you still owe on top of your new loan and your car payments will go up and you have a car thats kbb value new is still worth less than the car you were in.
Yup, +1 on what he said. If I were in your position, I would only trade it if $$ was no issue and losing that money wouldn't hinder my economic situation. I'd say stick w/ the sedan.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i'll trade you my hatchback for your sedan lol

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Rand0m0sityxX

Drives: 1998 Honda Crv
You would most likely be upside down on your loan, which is like someone else said, they'll pay off what they can and the rest gets transfered to you new loan, so you will pay more than the 3 door is worth.

Why did you choose so fast is my question?

You always want to be sure of what you want before a purchase. Cars lose a lot of Value once driven off the lot that first day, and Its hard to not pay more than the car is worth once purchase if you change your mind.

I've just really gotten to wanting a Yaris, and tho I'm only looking at the lift backs ( I hate sedans SUV or hatchback for me) I have been researching into it, and I have test driven a 3 door today.
Rand0m0sityxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
It's really up to you. You can make the sedan look sporty; i.e. look at my pics (not my garage, but my thread pics). Also, if your liking of Jolt Yellow is only from the Internet, be prepared to see it in person. It's nothing like the website. It's more of a pastel yellow, which I don't like pastel colors. If I were in your position though, I wouldn't want to take a big hit.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
suck it up and accept your choice. nothing good will come of trying to get the hatch in your current situation. your best bet is to wait around 1.5 years and sell it as a private party sale. you'll get maximum value before the 2 year mark and still have gotten some use out of the sedan; which ofcourse you may want something other than a yaris by then, or they may offer an even cooler yaris.
i'd wait.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
chriswb

Drives: 09 Yaris Liftback
Trading your car in so soon is a terrible idea. You have a very nice car there - be happy with what you've got!
chriswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec24th View Post
to Yar1s and Doc,
Yes. and yes! I spoke with my mom, who is the co-buyer/signer, and she seems ok with the idea of being in the dealership for another 8 hours.
Now, I know I will be losing money and probably more but I will be much more happy and healthier. and I know I wont regret it!

I want it in Yellow Jolt but my region and dealer does not carry it in yellow! The closest one I can find is in Cincinnati. If I get my dealer to ship one from Cincinnati in the color I' TRULY love on a car, then I will be forever happy! How much do you think shipping will be? If I can't get it shipped, then I'll stick with black.

I won't have kids and I can sacrifice some trunk space, I think I'll be ok with two less doors and less trunk space.

Thank you guys.
More advice and input is welcome,
Aa

dont let the small trunk trick you.... BE SURE TO GET THE 60/40 SPLIT SEATS!!! you WILL regret not getting them. When you slide the seats forward... you can store soda bottles, milk gallons, and beer in the wedge it creates .... this is great seeing as stuff likes to roll around in there!

I dont like the yellow but if that is what floats your boat go for it!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #16
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
quite sure the sliding , split , reclining rear seats are a standard feature for all 2010 YARIS hatchbacks . The 2010 3 door we just got has it .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #17
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I LOOOOOVE MY SEDAN all it needs is LOVE!!!
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #18
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec24th View Post
I want to go back to the same Toyota dealership and trade in my 7 week old sedan to a new hitchback. Is this a dumb move?

IMHO It's a simply a bad financial move to trade in a new car that soon. If you decided to trade in your sedan for a 3-door lift back--I would honestly consider taking a thorough test drive of the 3-door liftback before you decide to trade in your sedan. After the test drive write down things that you like and dislike with the lift back and compare it to the things that you like and dislike with the sedan. After you test drive the lift back you may find that you like the ride quality of the sedan a lot better.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote