Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
Cruise Control pulsing problem.

Hope this is the right section for this. My 08 Yaris with automatic tranny came with factory installed cruise control which works properly sometimes. Most of the time when I set it, after a few seconds it starts pulsing the gas like every 2 seconds continuouslly over and over, (kind of like if you set yours to a certain speed and you kept touching the gas pedal with your foot over and over). I've tried setting it at all different speeds from maybe 30 to 70 and it always does it the same. This is on perfectly flat smooth roads with no hills, overpasses or curves to affect the speed, also not in windy conditions. I've brought it into the dealership to get it fixed a few times and they always claim it works fine everytime and they can't fix anthing or change parts without "duplicating the problem". I called Toyota and complained about the problem but they side with the dealership. If I do use it, it can't be good for my gas mileage plus it makes me car sick. I got ticked off one time and asked them "can you refund me the money I paid for the cruise control since I can't use it ?", and they didn't think it was very funny...Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Was it installed when the car was built or was it installed at the dealership?

I installed my own rostra unit and it works fine. If the dealership installed a rostra unit there is always a chance it is defective.

Got a picture of the contol arm? I don't remember cruise available on the 08 liftback.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
rg570lvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Was it installed when the car was built or was it installed at the dealership?

I installed my own rostra unit and it works fine. If the dealership installed a rostra unit there is always a chance it is defective.

Got a picture of the contol arm? I don't remember cruise available on the 08 liftback.
I can't be sure but I was told by the service rep it was factory installed, and I do remember reading something about it on the window sticker. I didn't get to keep the sticker like my other Toyotas I've bought from the same dealer in the past so I can't check it and see, but I can say it is the exact model that came factory installed on my parents '04 Corolla LE. Is there a way I could find out for sure? I don't have a camera so I can't take pictures.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
Why did you not go for a test drive with the mechanic?

Is this something that happens all the time when you enable the cruise? If so, the dealer is messing with you.

Go back to the dealer (or better yet - try a different dealer) and go for a drive with the mechanic. First, make sure that this was a factory installed item.

I do not have cruise on my Yaris so i cannot speak from experience. But I have driven many cars and I am confident that the Yaris was not designed to "blip" the throttle every 2 seconds while in cruise.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Which side of the wheel is it on and when you turn the wheel does it turn with the wheel or is it stuck on the left side of the steering column?

I would suggest you be persistant since it is under warranty. I bet if you push hard enough they will replace the contol module.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
rg570lvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeteyjtx View Post
Why did you not go for a test drive with the mechanic?

Is this something that happens all the time when you enable the cruise? If so, the dealer is messing with you.

Go back to the dealer (or better yet - try a different dealer) and go for a drive with the mechanic. First, make sure that this was a factory installed item.

I do not have cruise on my Yaris so i cannot speak from experience. But I have driven many cars and I am confident that the Yaris was not designed to "blip" the throttle every 2 seconds while in cruise.
The last time I brought it in I was supposed to go with the mechanic, I had to wait for hours being told they were working on other cars and finally when one was available he took another mechanic with him instead without me knowing. When they came back the service rep told me both mechanics said it was fine. At that time they were closing and being pissed I just figured I couldn't get anything done, so I gave up. How can I find out for sure about it being factory installed. As I'm writing this I'm looking in the owners manual and they don't show anything about one...As for when it happens, sometimes it works just fine the whole trip, but most of the time it acts up like described.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
rg570lvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Which side of the wheel is it on and when you turn the wheel does it turn with the wheel or is it stuck on the left side of the steering column?

I would suggest you be persistant since it is under warranty. I bet if you push hard enough they will replace the contol module.
It's mounted on the left side of the column itself and doesn't turn with the wheel. My 98 Camry and 06 Tundra was on the right side of the steering wheel itself and turned with the wheel. Toyota said if the dealership can't duplicate the problem they won't pay to replace anything.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
xpeteyjtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg570lvr View Post
How can I find out for sure about it being factory installed. As I'm writing this I'm looking in the owners manual and they don't show anything about one...As for when it happens, sometimes it works just fine the whole trip, but most of the time it acts up like described.
hmm... if you call Toyota and give them your VIN, they should be able to help you.

It is up to you whether you want to take the dealer's word for it. The dealer may also be able to check on the car's configuration based on your VIN.

I am not sure whether cruise was an option for 2008. If it's not in the manual, it would appear to have been not available.

Next time the cruise is acting up, drive by the dealer. Explain that you need a technician to go for a quick drive with you. Tell them that you don't want to waste anymore of their time and your time.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
rg570lvr

I'll try calling Toyota again and see what they say. It would be a lot easier to get it fixed if it were consistent, but I just know if I go riding wth a mechanic it will work just fine just because I want to show him, and then act up on my way home. It's gotten to where when I bring it in to get it looked at they kind of give each other funny looks but don't say anything. My dad did tell my recently that they fired the service rep that would wait on me so maybe things will go better next time I go in, so I'll try Monday on my day off. Thanks a lot you guys.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
xpeteyjtx

Quote:
I'll try calling Toyota again and see what they say. It would be a lot easier to get it fixed if it were consistent, but I just know if I go riding wth a mechanic it will work just fine just because I want to show him, and then act up on my way home.
Yup, usually happens to me too. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
rg570lvr

Thanks again guys, you've all been a lot of help. You got me to notice things I hadn't noticed before.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:32 AM   #12
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Since you are a fellow MM owner, I will wish good Karma on you!

If you have an aftermarket cruise, it might look like this one here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=13

Not sure if there is a pic of the factory cruise, but as stated before, it is
usually on the right side and moves with the steering wheel.

I agree with trying a different dealer, if possible.

Keep us posted if you do find a solution.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
rg570lvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
Since you are a fellow MM owner, I will wish good Karma on you!

If you have an aftermarket cruise, it might look like this one here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=13

Not sure if there is a pic of the factory cruise, but as stated before, it is
usually on the right side and moves with the steering wheel.

I agree with trying a different dealer, if possible.

Keep us posted if you do find a solution.
The one pictured in your link is exactly what I have, it came with the car when I bought it. I thought it was factory, that's what I was told...My mom's Corolla LE has the same thing, but my Camry and Tundra had the one on the left side of the wheel which turned with the wheel, I just thought is was a different model... Thanks a lot... I wish they would have let me keep my window sticker so I could see what it said. I didn't even get the little metal key tag with the key number code on it, I was told this car didn't come with one. I do remember the sticker said the car was delivered to a dealership in Hattiesburg, Mississippi but I bought it in New Iberia, Louisiana. I was told they traded cars for some reason... Another thing that bugs me is the car had 364 miles on it when I bought it (they said the car was driven here from Hattiesburg) but they put 10 miles on the "pink mileage slip" that came with my paperwork...Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:15 AM   #14
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
The one pictured in your link is exactly what I have, it came with the car when I bought it. I thought it was factory, that's what I was told...My mom's Corolla LE has the same thing, but my Camry and Tundra had the one on the left side of the wheel which turned with the wheel, I just thought is was a different model... Thanks a lot... I wish they would have let me keep my window sticker so I could see what it said. I didn't even get the little metal key tag with the key number code on it, I was told this car didn't come with one. I do remember the sticker said the car was delivered to a dealership in Hattiesburg, Mississippi but I bought it in New Iberia, Louisiana. I was told they traded cars for some reason... Another thing that bugs me is the car had 364 miles on it when I bought it (they said the car was driven here from Hattiesburg) but they put 10 miles on the "pink mileage slip" that came with my paperwork...Thanks again.
It makes no sense to me why they didn't let you keep the window sticker,
especially if it was the factory window sticker. My car was traded with a
dealer from Ohio and the sticker shows the original dealer. I kept the sticker.
My car only had 7 miles on it, and according to the salesman, they trailered
it up here.

That also sounds like crap that they didn't have the metal tag with the
key number code on it. I suppose it's possible that the car was test driven
before they got it, but for them to not be honest about the mileage on the
pink slip? This was a brand new car, right? If you get that letter from
Toyota regarding rating the dealership, perhaps you should let them have a
low rating.

I assume this is the same dealer that says nothing is wrong with the car?
Is there another dealer that could check it over?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
rg570lvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
It makes no sense to me why they didn't let you keep the window sticker,
especially if it was the factory window sticker. My car was traded with a
dealer from Ohio and the sticker shows the original dealer. I kept the sticker.
My car only had 7 miles on it, and according to the salesman, they trailered
it up here.

That also sounds like crap that they didn't have the metal tag with the
key number code on it. I suppose it's possible that the car was test driven
before they got it, but for them to not be honest about the mileage on the
pink slip? This was a brand new car, right? If you get that letter from
Toyota regarding rating the dealership, perhaps you should let them have a
low rating.

I assume this is the same dealer that says nothing is wrong with the car?
Is there another dealer that could check it over?
I know, I still have the stickers for my 98 Camry LE and my 06 Tundra but not this one, the salesman was a very young guy in his early 20's and said I was the 3rd person to buy a car from him, he had only been there 1 month so far...The car was brand new, and I did give them a low rating but mine was done over the phone, plus I called Toyota again and complained about the problem that's when I was told that is company policy to "duplicate the problem" in order for them to trouble shoot to find what's wrong....Yes it's the same dealer, infact same dealer I bought all 3 Toyotas from and always get good service from them except for this....I just assumed you had to go to the dealer you bought from or they wouldn't want to mess with the car since they didn't make the sale, I mean it kind of looks bad that I bought 3 Toyotas from this out of town dealer when I didn't buy from the intown dealership... I overheard a representative telling a woman you will always get better service from the dealer you bought from for that very reason....I have read on here before that Toyota sent out memos to their dealerships telling them to do as little warranty work as possible unless it becomes a safety issue just to save the company money. If they are wasting time and money doing warranty work they are missing out on charging a paying customer at the same time....In their defence, I've been trying my cruise control a lot since I talked to you guys and it's only worked bad twice, perfect all the other times, just my luck it will work fine when I bring it in tomorrow. I was thinking of asking the parts guy while I'm there how much it would cost for a new control module or sensor and change it myself......On a related note, I used to own a brand new 91 Nissan Hardbody pickup and the a/c didn't work that well and was told because my truck was black it wouldn't. After going back a few times, I tried going to other dealers thinking it would be different, and that dealer would call the original dealer and come back and tell me the same thing as the first one. I was even told that an a/c in a black vehicle is mainly just a "novelty item". Sorry to ramble on so much.