Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
vector9mm

Drives: blue 08 hb
chevy cobalt 37 mpg

The new cobalt xfe is rated at 25 city and 37 hiway. My question is how does a car with probably 200 pounds extra and putting out 155 HP beat my yaris on the hiway? I love my yaris but for the small car it is and the HP output, I don't see how it only is rated at 36. I know some of you say you're getting 45 mpg but that only means that someones cobalt is getting 46. I just think that Toyota didn't want the Yaris taking sales from the more expensive prius.
vector9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
gearing
Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
I'm getting nearly 50 mpg spring summer fall, so the yaris can best the Prius, hopefully the cobalt can't do this as well.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I know some of you say you're getting 45 mpg but that only means that someones cobalt is getting 46.

I'm glad you put that in the first post since many people would say that when they are hypermiling they can get 50 mpg so the Cobalt isn't actually achieving anything.

My opinion, good job GM!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckevalastin View Post
I know some of you say you're getting 45 mpg but that only means that someones cobalt is getting 46.

I'm glad you put that in the first post since many people would say that when they are hypermiling they can get 50 mpg so the Cobalt isn't actually achieving anything.

My opinion, good job GM!
Exactly. If you're getting 10% over epa in our Yaris, you'd probably get 10% over epa in any other vehicle.

Even with those numbers, I wouldn't consider a chevy at this point, but it's great news for those who would.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
My 09 Honda Fit Sport is rated at 33MPG Highway.
I just got 42MPG on a trip that was 50% highway and 50% back roads.
My Yaris also kicks butt by getting around 42 highway.

Also, have you ever driven a Cobalt? I have and ....
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
new cobalt ss > all. screw mileage.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i do 45mpg on my yaris on hwy run. averaging 38 mpg 50/50
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
The Ecotec 2.2L cruises at 2200rpm @ 60mph (96km/h) with automatic. The XFE model which I test drove a couple weeks back (manual 5 speed only) is a terrible variant. The EPA rates it only slightly better than the automatic version and there is a light on the dash that acts as an 'economy meter' and lights up when your suppose to shift to gain maximum fuel economy. I eased off from a stop light and the 'ecolight' came on at 1700rpm! Up-shifting at that speed on a hill would be impossible as you'd bog the engine down as it tries to turn around 1000rpm. Driving normally and filling up afterward I didn't get better than 7L/100km with split city/highway driving. One thing, is that it can be had for a couple thousand dollars less when compared to a Yaris sedan with convenience package.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich k View Post
I'm getting nearly 50 mpg spring summer fall, so the yaris can best the Prius, hopefully the cobalt can't do this as well.
Not true!

If YOU drove a Prius the way you drive your Yaris, you would get much more then the Yaris. It is not fair to compare what you get from your Yaris againsts EPA numbers for the Prius.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #11
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
As to why the Cobalt does so well, I think it uses variable valve timing with both the intake AND exhaust valves, like the 2009 Corolla, and other newer cars. Our Yarii uses VVT just with the intake as far as I know.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Funny, the Chevy Web site doesn't offer a "Build it" page for the LS XFE and the car has a starting price near $15,600
Quote:
Chevy introduced the XFE (XFE stands for “Xtra Fuel Economy”) package for the 2008 Cobalt. For an extra $600, the ’08 XFE package came equipped with a 148-hp, 2.2-liter four-cylinder mated to a manual transmission, low-rolling resistance tires, a taller final-drive ratio (3.74:1), and a fuel-sipping engine calibration. Fuel economy jumped from 24 mpg city and 33 highway to 25 mpg in the city cycle and an impressive 36 mpg on the highway.
That makes sense.....paying $600 extra to get better mileage. CRIPES! Yeah, sarcasm doesn't come off easily in print.

Last edited by NJBob; 02-22-2009 at 07:29 AM.
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Not true!

If YOU drove a Prius the way you drive your Yaris, you would get much more then the Yaris. It is not fair to compare what you get from your Yaris againsts EPA numbers for the Prius.
Very true. It an apple and orange argument. I considered the Prius, but there was like a 10K difference in price and for 10K...I could drive my Yaris for three years and still be ahead in price.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBob View Post
Funny, the Chevy Web site doesn't offer a "Build it" page for the LS XFE and the car has a starting price near $15,600

That makes sense.....paying $600 extra to get better mileage. CRIPES! Yeah, sarcasm doesn't come off easily in print.
That's nothing! The Silverado/Sierra SFE truck package runs close to $2100 for that extra 1mpg highway and wimpy (read: un-truck like) 3.08 axle ratio. Unless one drives 100% highway, these vehicles are useless as the taller gearing makes the transmission more likely to hunt/shift for the correct gear which can impact mileage negatively when driven around town.

XFE (GM)/SFE (Ford) just found a way to get more money from the consumer. It's like spending money on a light hybrid vehicle, but will take 2-3 years before you'll recoup the 'possible' fuel savings rather than going with a standard model. Not worth it in my book. If I buy a truck, it'll be used as a truck, not as a mileage commuter just to carry my fat arse around.

The Cobalt 2 door and 4 door are the same price but have a 80lb weight difference and the sedan is over an inch taller. The only thing I like about the Cobalt (non-SFE) is the fact that the interior is well laid out, gauges are in front of the driver and there is enough space to feel relaxed while taking long trips. Not to mention the engine turns under a quiet 2500rpm at 75mph. Anyway....
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
chevy is charging more for variable valve timing?

at least the new aveo/wave is finally getting better mileage than a pick-up truck now.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #16
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
As noted, gearing. IMO Toyota doesn't want to put 5-6 speed transmissions in the Corolla and Yaris. If they did the Yaris would likely be in the 40+ range as might be the Corolla. While I love my Yaris, it's annoying in the automatic to be at ~3,000+ RPMs at 72mph. Our recently acquired '06 Civic with the 5th gear on the AT coasts along at ~2,500 at 75mph. If Toyota decided to do 5-6 speed transmissions like Honda they'd likely have the Corolla and Yaris eating into their Prius sales.

FWIW, in doing some research recently before picking up the Civic for my wife, I found out that it seems like everyone besides Toyota and Honda have CVT transmissions and VVT as premium features and even then they don't typically match them in MPG.
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #17
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
i dont know how much higher gearing would really help mpg in a corolla or yaris. at 60 mph, the rpm's are reasonable. at 60 mph, my yaris was at 42+ mpg easily and 40+ in my corolla at that speed is pretty easy also. when you get up to 70+ mph, you are increasing wind resistance exponentially, and that will kill your mileage regardless of rpm's.

i also believe in the real world, some cars really do better at beating epa estimates than others. take that 5 speed auto in the civic. now, take a look at real world numbers here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...umn=1&id=23502

most of the entries are a majority of highway driving for that 5 speed auto, and ONE single driver out of 88 drivers achieved 40+mpg and the average of 31.3 is nothing special. that same car in a 5 speed manual (which revs higher than a corolla or yaris in high gear) actually averaged 1 mpg higher than the 5 speed auto. thats real life.

now, take a look at the yaris. it seems the epa estimates are much more easily achieved, with the auto averaging 34.8 mpg and the higher revving manual transmission averaging 38.9 mpg.

so, 2 things. the gearing on these cars did not help real world effieciency, and some cars do beat epa estimates more easily than others.

and those cvt transmissions. im seeing only miserable mpg numbers on eco cars using them thus far (versa, sentra, caliber..)

ill take a 5 speed manual any day and beat what any cvt or 5 speed auto will give me in mileage.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #18
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
Before I decided on a Yaris I wondered about the real life mpg’s folks were getting versus the EPA estimates. In my internet investigations the Yaris’ real life mpg’s beat all the other smaller economy class vehicles. And it beat the EPA estimates more than the other new vehicles like the Aveo, Smart and Cobalt.

Was it that folks who bought them tried harder to get better mileage or was it just more capable of better mileage? I do not have the answer but I know I try to get better than EPA and can do it easily. Breaking 50 mpg on a tank is a bit harder for me. As pointed out just look around at others who are posting their mileage and what they are actually reporting. Maybe fewer Aveo, Smart and Cobalt folks try to get the best they can and more Yaris drivers are?
Woody_Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote