Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #55
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
HI I am from Slovakia and Toyota will change your oil after 15000 KM (app. 9500 miles) or one year which will be first ;)
5000 miles is for me very little you should change your oil every six months no ?
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #56
n5odj

Drives: Looking to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
snip and my car has a lifetime drivetrain warranty as long as mfg maitainence is followed and records kept.
The dealer where I'm looking to buy offers this lifetime warranty. Do you have to take it to the dealer for every oil change? Can you take it to quickie lube & just save the receipt? Can you do the oil change yourself & save the oil/filter receipt?

Robert in TN
n5odj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #57
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5odj View Post
The dealer where I'm looking to buy offers this lifetime warranty. Do you have to take it to the dealer for every oil change? Can you take it to quickie lube & just save the receipt? Can you do the oil change yourself & save the oil/filter receipt?

Robert in TN
Absolutely!
By (federal) law you do not have have your car serviced by the dealer to maintain the warranty.
Just save the receipts.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #58
n5odj

Drives: Looking to buy
Awesome. I'm pretty impressed by a lifetime warranty on a car. Reckon I'll run over there tomorrow & probably spend some money on this Toyota.

Robert
n5odj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #59
Solid T D

Drives: 08 3dr Yaris S"arah"
I'm taking a class for auto systems and auto technician, here in Los Angeles. My teach(master mechanic : exp30+yrs) says that when driving under "normal" conditions, 5k miles is just fine for changing your oil, as oil does not break down, it mearly becomes contaminated. However, living anywhere NEAR Los Angeles (or metropolitain area for that matter), we are not considered to be driving under "normal" driving conditions and must change our oil every 3k miles.

Last edited by Solid T D; 11-10-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Solid T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #60
aznssaiyan

Drives: 08 HB
going 20,000 miles every oil change with mobil 1 syn and the xtended 10000 mile filter. no problems, good looking oil every oil change. 2008 hatch. lovin it.
aznssaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #61
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznssaiyan View Post
going 20,000 miles every oil change with mobil 1 syn and the xtended 10000 mile filter. no problems, good looking oil every oil change. 2008 hatch. lovin it.
nice.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #62
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I think the oil change intervals are longer because of FI. WHen engines had carbs you were warned not to idle the engine. I think thats because the mixture in a carbed engine at idle is too rich. And imprecise at all speeds in general. I know changing the oil in my 74 VW Beetle every 2k miles the oil smelled of gasoline.

With FI the mixture is very nearly correct for all rpms. When I change the oil in my FI cars at 6k miles the oil smells like it did coming out of the bottle.

Also in general an engine that is driven longer distances between startup and shutdown is less hard on its oil than one that is driven short distances. The longer your drive interval the longer you can go between changes. Short distance driven vehicles, like my Yaris, need more frequent changes.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #63
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I think the oil change intervals are longer because of FI. WHen engines had carbs you were warned not to idle the engine. I think thats because the mixture in a carbed engine at idle is too rich. And imprecise at all speeds in general. I know changing the oil in my 74 VW Beetle every 2k miles the oil smelled of gasoline.

With FI the mixture is very nearly correct for all rpms. When I change the oil in my FI cars at 6k miles the oil smells like it did coming out of the bottle.

Also in general an engine that is driven longer distances between startup and shutdown is less hard on its oil than one that is driven short distances. The longer your drive interval the longer you can go between changes. Short distance driven vehicles, like my Yaris, need more frequent changes.
^^^^^ The shortest interval for me has been 3k and the longest about 17k. When I first changed my spark plugs at about 208,000 I'd had the oil changed about 17-19 times before that (I don't have my log book handy) and the Toyota dealer said my engine was in great shape, and not burning any oil at all.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #64
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

Absolutely correct!!