Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu997 View Post
So I just solder it off right? And then my switch will work? I mean with the other modifications

Ok check back with u when I do this thanks?
Correct. With all of the mods done, it should work like the OEM switch.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
Liu997

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Ok, I have a problem. Since I just got my relay need to do the DIY, I just found out of the problem. I realized that my switch doesn't even work at all. The minute I plug in the foglight relay my fogs light up, switch on "off" or on "on". But when I turn on the headlights or the panel lights the fogs turn off regardless of switch setting. I may have wired it up wrong. Any help will be accepted. Thanks in advance.
Liu997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, I have a problem. Since I just got my relay need to do the DIY, I just found out of the problem. I realized that my switch doesn't even work at all. The minute I plug in the foglight relay my fogs light up, switch on "off" or on "on". But when I turn on the headlights or the panel lights the fogs turn off regardless of switch setting. I may have wired it up wrong. Any help will be accepted. Thanks in advance.
If I understand correctly, you had it wired before with the aftermarket relay. You now changed the wiring to use the OEM relay mounted in the fuse panel?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #22
Liu997

No I never used the aftermarket relay, I followed the DIY exactly, which says to use the OEM foglight relay. I've just been waiting for the relay I ordered and ebay. I just got it now, Plugged it in and the foglight come on immediately. I even tried disconnecting the switch and the foglights are still on . That is really weird. But the foglights only seem to come on if the headlights and the panel lights are closed.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
No I never used the aftermarket relay, I followed the DIY exactly, which says to use the OEM foglight relay. I've just been waiting for the relay I ordered and ebay. I just got it now, Plugged it in and the foglight come on immediately. I even tried disconnecting the switch and the foglights are still on . That is really weird. But the foglights only seem to come on if the headlights and the panel lights are closed.

OK. To verify:

1. Under the hood - The black wire is connected to the grounding bolt and the red wire is connected to Pin 1 or 2 per the DIY picture:

2. Under the dash - If you disconnect the wires that your connected per the DIY picture below from Pin 3 and Pin 4 do the lights go off and stay off with the headlights on or off?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #24
Liu997

wait for the first pic, i connected it to the pin directly left of it, which i think is pin 2, is that ok?

And for pic 2 it is blue to white wire right, and green to Yellow?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
Liu997

BTW, thanks a lot for helping idk what I would do if I didn't have anyone to help.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
wait for the first pic, i connected it to the pin directly left of it, which i think is pin 2, is that ok?

And for pic 2 it is blue to white wire right, and green to Yellow?

Pin 2 is fine.

For picture 2, try disconnecting your wires from the white and yellow, just to make sure that the relay is OK. With yours disconnected the fogs should not light at all.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
Liu997

Wait, what happends when you try to run the foglights with no relay place in. Cause I put in the foglights before I got the relay and accidentaly pressed it, and there was a buzzing sound comming from under the dash, but I quickly disabled it.

Also how do you disassemble the switch, I don't want to pull off pieces and break some plastic.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Wait, what happends when you try to run the foglights with no relay place in. Cause I put in the foglights before I got the relay and accidentaly pressed it, and there was a buzzing sound comming from under the dash, but I quickly disabled it.

Also how do you disassemble the switch, I don't want to pull off pieces and break some plastic.
If the switch was wired as per the OEM one turning it on without the relay wouldn't be a problem.

The switch housing should have two tabs, one on either side, just above the connector. You have to press them in while pulling the top from the connector end.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #29
Liu997

Reviewed everything you said still having trouble.

Currently this is what happening. Foglight relay installed, Switch NOT modified.

Foglight switch off, all car lights shut off --- Foglights On, Square Light On
Foglight switch on, all car lights shut off --- Foglights On, Square Light On
Foglight switch off, Panel Lights turned on --- Foglights off, square light off
Foglight switch on, Panel Lights turned on --- Foglights off, square light off
Foglight switch off, headlights turned on --- Foglights off, square light off
Foglight switch on, headlights turned on --- Foglights off, square light off

I'm, going to review the DIY can't be having this much trouble if I followed it exactly.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #30
Liu997

I may have had a problem in this step, what does this mean.

"
Now we must finish modifying the aftermarket harness. Cut the 2 black and 1 solid blue wire as well. The blue/green wire will not be used. Remove the electrical tape holding the end of the harness together. Once everything is pulled apart you should have black, solid blue and solid green wires left in the harness. Use a butt splice to reconnect the 2 black wires. (sorry I forgot to take pictures of the final modified harness):"

I connected the black wire to each other would that be right?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #31
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
The problem is now your switch , mod as shown in diy .
or buy the factory stalk for $77.00US
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I may have had a problem in this step, what does this mean.

"
Now we must finish modifying the aftermarket harness. Cut the 2 black and 1 solid blue wire as well. The blue/green wire will not be used. Remove the electrical tape holding the end of the harness together. Once everything is pulled apart you should have black, solid blue and solid green wires left in the harness. Use a butt splice to reconnect the 2 black wires. (sorry I forgot to take pictures of the final modified harness):"

I connected the black wire to each other would that be right?
I have no idea from the pics what the second black wire is for. If you look at the switch itself, it has one black wire, which is the ground for the lighting circuit. If you follow the wires from the switch, Blue goes to D3-pin3, Green next to blue goes to D3-pin4, the other green goes to the accessory lighting wire, and black goes to ground.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #33
Liu997

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have no idea from the pics what the second black wire is for. If you look at the switch itself, it has one black wire, which is the ground for the lighting circuit. If you follow the wires from the switch, Blue goes to D3-pin3, Green next to blue goes to D3-pin4, the other green goes to the accessory lighting wire, and black goes to ground.
Damn, I don't know. I'm just going to modify the switch first, then see what happens.

Wait also what is the point of cutting of the green wire closest to the black?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Damn, I don't know. I'm just going to modify the switch first, then see what happens.

Wait also what is the point of cutting of the green wire closest to the black?

Also, check the wires and make sure that from the switch connector that they connect as I mentioned above. They need to be that way for the modded switch to work.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #35
Liu997

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You mean D4 right? I just checked and there was no D3 pin under the steering wheel
Old 05-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
You mean D4 right? I just checked and there was no D3 pin under the steering wheel
Correct - D4 (typo on my part).