Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
jonathancash

Drives: Toyota Yaris/Vitz 2007 (Jap)
Question Speedometer Trouble

Hey Guys,

New to the forum - First post actually - Having some speedometer trouble with my yaris. I took apart the instrument panel to clean it out and just happened to move the needles about gently and barely even so.

Now whenever I start the car the needle drops to below 0 almost as if its -5 or -7 kmph. I've reset the needle while the car's been both on and off. Eventually the needle always sticks back down to its sub-zero position. Almost as if though it resets after every 30 seconds or so once the car's been shut off.

I've been searching the forums for DIY posts etc. and one mentioned that the needles recalibrate automatically but mine hasn't yet. How do I fix this? Would I need to remove my needle and reposition it? That's the only thing I haven't tried. Or is there another way.

Any help would be appreciated.
jonathancash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Possibly the needle is a little loose on the actual motor what did you use to clean it? If the adhesive holding the needle was weak it may have ate it so the motor is turning but the needle isnt going with it.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Also just to clarify does it reset to its original postion once the car is turned off or does it stay at the bottom below zero?
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
jonathancash

Oh it's just fine whilst driving. If say I reset the position of the needle to point at 0 - it stays there, I'll drive around fine and it'll move all the way up to 120 if it has to. It'll fall down to 0 and stay right where its supposed to stay as well when the car's in parking.

Now when I switch off the engine and leave the car off for about a minute - then put the key into the ignition and switch it on - the needle's back down at sub zero. So it doesn't retain the adjusted position, just goes all the way down. Which means I have to then pry open everything and readjust all over again.

When I opened up the HUD for cleaning I didn't use any solvent etc. just a plain dry cloth - gently went over the dial and the surface.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
jonathancash

Also I haven't tried removing the needle or anything yet. I was thinking that maybe if I set the needle to say 20 kmph - above the zero mark - switch off the engine and then leave it for about a minute it could drop to 0 instead of sub zero.

I don't know really, I'm just thinking off the top of my head here. I don't want to fiddle with it too much just incase the needle stops moving altogther.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
it's a stepper motor that drives the needle, it just needs to be reset. try removing the needle, go for a drive, shut off the car, turn the ignition back on and put the needle back on at "0"
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
jonathancash

I think I'll try that first thing tomorrow morning and see if it works! Thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
jonathancash

That worked perfectly, thanks Guys!