Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you think the wind plays with your Yaris
Cops think I'm drunk when driving vs. wind 49 54.44%
My Yaris drives straight like an arrow 19 21.11%
Who cares, cause I don't 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #199
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I can't believe people are complaining that the Yaris get's tossed a bit by the wind. Of course it does. Every small car does. Every SUV does. And in very heavy wind, all the rest do. My last car was a Lexus SC400. The thing was a beast - heavy, wide, and low and on a very windy day, I'd still have to hold that wheel really tight too.

The Yaris is a LIGHT car which is why it is efficient and affordable and why we bought this car. You want a big, heavy, inefficient car that's more stable, then spend $30K.

The only way to help the situation is to drop it, buy bigger/wider rims and tires and throw in some anti-sway bars.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #200
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I can't believe people are complaining that the Yaris get's tossed a bit by the wind.
Blah - unsubscribed from thread.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #201
Couture85
Yaris Princess

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
My only complaint is that it doesn't have to be a very windy day and my car feels like driving during an earthquake. I only wish I had driven a little bit longer on my test drive instead of one exit on the interstate to the next. I have to say, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the way the car handles in general.
Couture85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #202
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couture85 View Post
My only complaint is that it doesn't have to be a very windy day and my car feels like driving during an earthquake. I only wish I had driven a little bit longer on my test drive instead of one exit on the interstate to the next. I have to say, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the way the car handles in general.
Oh, that's too bad. Mine is actually pretty smooth and quiet in general (without the wind, I meant)

Last edited by tomato; 03-24-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: clarity
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #203
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couture85 View Post
I have to say, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the way the car handles in general.
Define "handle". The Yaris is actually a great handling car by most definitions. Talk to Loren (or read it here http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=5) about how well it does in AutoCross competition against cars more expensive and/or more powerful. THAT is a handling test....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #204
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hmm. after i installed my trd bar it handled much better at higher speeds. After it was lower it handled substantially. Now i can cruise at 80 like its nothing. I think cause the car has such a rediculiouse ride hight. Once lowerd on trd springs it sits like a honda normally would with stock springs. Dosnt even look lowerd with trd springs you would need teins or something before it starts to look aggresive. So what happens the center of gravity is so high it feels like its going to topple over. The wind goes undernight the car and trys to pull it up. If you ever seen the bottom of a BMW they sit very low to the ground and plus they coat the entire bottom of the car is a plastic skidplate so its extremly smooth. There is onlya small channel for the exhaust pipe to fit so it has very low wind resistance and hugs the ground.

Also our cars have a very narrow wheel base. If you want a car more stable you would need a much wider wheelbase.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote