Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you think the wind plays with your Yaris
Cops think I'm drunk when driving vs. wind 49 54.44%
My Yaris drives straight like an arrow 19 21.11%
Who cares, cause I don't 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #73
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
i got aharbour hreight like 5-10 mins from me... lol maybe we can work something out and i can get it and ship it or osmething
Thanks for the offer! I am going to call my local HF today and see if pricing in the store is same as web price. If it is cheaper to send my heavy crap vs driving down then that is how I am going to do it. stay tuned.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #74
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Check this one out. I think we have hi"jacked" this thread.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200313500.htm
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #75
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Check this one out. I think we have hi"jacked" this thread.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200313500.htm
Good find! No, this is all about making my Yaris handle better over 60 through wheel rotation.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #76
H2XcapePod

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
This is just my two cents but it seems to be a large disparity between the handling on the LB and Sedan( LB for me). With heavy crosswinds I do get tossed a bit and when I first got the car I thought the handling wasn't quite right for a car this size. A few months ago I started over inflating the Potenza RE 92's to 40 psi. She definietly feels tighter, and a lot more fun. Even under emergency braking and breaking traction she's stable and predictable...(too bad some poor schmuck had to soil his trousers for me to find out Sorry!)
H2XcapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #77
Lillydot
Absolutely Red!!!

Drives: 07 A/T Yaris Liftback
my car gets blown around too. i think its part tires, and part getting used to the car. inflate the tires up too 36 psi and just get used to the way the car handles. after about 4 months of driving, i've got the body roll almost completely under control. i can do 60mph, maybe push it to 70, but i know the car can't handle anything over that on a windy day or going over a bridge over a lake (thats when the wind gets me the worst! ). so i stay at 60. its better for your gas mileage, anyways!
Lillydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 AM   #78
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
Talking just my 2 cents

just my 2 cents checked my tire pressure today and it was at 40 so i droped it down to 35 and it handles alot better then it did on the highway, no more moving sidways in the crosswind or anything, drives like a charm :) had it sense october 06 and have 4286 miles on it
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #79
thomasward00

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Thats why i've ordered 16x7 rims and tires for my sedan, it does get blown around a bit on the interstate, hopefully with the wider rims and more high performance tires it will help some with stability.
thomasward00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #80
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Rims and tires basically eliminate this problem.

Its a highway machine with the dubs on... but I never had issues before... just grab hold of the wheel.

I've never been in a car that kept going straight when there was 40mph gusts... as a matter of fact, the only time I get "blown around" is when every other car on the road gets blown around. The only time its ever been sqiurrely at all due to wind was winter on the highway in storms around curves... now of course all you have to do is slow down, and snow tires help alot... I should also add that for every day my stock tired yaris made it though, there were 10-20 of something larger on the side of the road.

The car itself isn't so unstable, it just takes a tighter grip on the wheel... an abnormally tight grip for such a small car. I suppose chalk it up to electric steering.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:32 AM   #81
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
The car itself isn't so unstable, it just takes a tighter grip on the wheel... an abnormally tight grip for such a small car. I suppose chalk it up to electric steering.
That, and the very short lock-to-lock ratio... I think some people might be used to older cars where you can spin the wheel 3-4 times lock to lock, ours is about 2 and a half turns I think? So a "normal" steering input causes a bigger than anticipated response from the wheels, which can make the car feel squirelly at high speed...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #82
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
I just racked up 1500 miles on my 5 sp liftback. I started with 350 miles on the odometer, 36 psi front, 34 rear.

I avg 85 mph... I topped 95 mph, day and night time driving, even drove thru a heavy thunderstorm (slowed to 25mph, 1/4 mile visibiltiy)

Bad handling? I didn't notice any. The car rides steady and smooth. It was pretty noisy and rear visibility over my right shoulder was awful. There was also a blind spot over my left shoulder. Though I don't have side curtains, I think the b-pillar trim protects for it so the trim is quite bulky = bad visibility. Also the rear middle seat belt buckle eats up some rear view mirror visibility.

In 5th gear the Yaris feels 'settled in' between 85 - 90 mph JMHO
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #83
ponieswhee

Drives: Black 07 Liftback
There was an Automobile magazine article about the Ford Fiesta RS, a diesel Skoda and the Renault Clio Sport which put it this way: A car that feels light, nimble and tossable on small windy backroads often feels darty, nervous and unstable on the interstate.

I think this is part of the reason small cars never caught on in a big way in the US. Personally, I'll take nervous and darty any day over numb and overweight. I love the way my Yaris handles. I can toss it around tight corners at speeds that would scare the pants off me in my camry or old taurus. I can't wait for the day gas hits $5 a gallon and Ford et al finally wake up to the fact that some of us actually want to see these cars here in the US.
ponieswhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #84
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm830 View Post
I'm really hoping you're right about all of this because after reading all these posts I'm scared to buy my yaris liftback lol
Did I miss something? I don't recall anyone saying that the liftback was more susceptible to cross-wind then the Yaris sedan. btw, the original post was a sedan owner, not a liftback.

I drive a 5dr liftback and the only time my trance-like stupor is interrupted by cross-wind is when half of the other cars on the road are also getting tossed around in their lane. Usually when I'm wakened from the cross-wind, I'll jack up the speed since the car seems to cut through the wind better at higher speeds (but not too high, like above 90mph).

I recently changed my tires from the stock potenza to Toyo Spectrum. The new Spectrum are more quiet (but old tires tend to get noisy), seem to be a bit more stable at extreme speeds (above 90mph) and does a better job at handling the g-force. Hopefully it's just as good as the Potenza in the braking department. If so, win-win.

Anyways, the tires are going to play a significant factor in the cross-wind. My old car (which was also a hatchback and weighted as much as the Yaris) were running on Toyo Proxies FZ4 (I hope to get these tires when I finally move up in wheel size) and the Proxies have an amazing centred feel and I suspect would be significantly better against the cross-wind. The only problem, is that they're directional tires and tend to need frequent rotating (to keep them from getting noisy).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #85
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Question rocking on highway.

wondering if anyone else has experienced this before.

I usually drive mostly highway miles. (65 mph - 70mph)
Lately I'll get into patches where the yaris will quite literally pull from side to side like its rocking back and forth. Would it be a mechanical problem.
Or does anyone experience this as a normal thing.

My best bet is that lately its been getting colder and dreery and the wind is picking up a bit. Maybe the winds hit the yaris just right to give it a weird rocking back and forth sensation.

I thought the yaris was pretty aerodynamic???
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #86
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Trade it in for a Phit...it's safer!
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #87
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
My Yaris has picked up alot of wind resistance side-to-side. Other than that it doesn't rock on the highway at all. And I drive on the highway about 100 miles every day to work.

It has been better since I've lowered it too. I used DF210's.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #88
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Mine does that sometimes on I-4 when I'm going 75-80, it does it also sometimes on my way home going 70, but usually when it happens I think it is when it's somewhat windy, it's not happening all the time, so I'm not worried.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #89
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
About 50% of that is road surface which changes constantly when heavy trucks travel on them and the other half could be wind.

Road surfaces have alot of effect.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #90
Mikeb Yaris

Drives: 08 Sedan Base Auto/PWR BLK
Try ridge riding...
Mikeb Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote