Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Question Problems after horn install

I just got done wiring up my hella supertones, went to see how they sounded and all I get is a "click" sound which is coming from the relay (I think.)

Since I wanted to go the easy route on the install I followed the instructions from this video. I used the "positive" style horn on the install just like the video.

My stock horn stopped working after I hit the jackrabbit back in November 2012 coming back from my honeymoon. I checked the 10a fuse for the horn and the 20a fuse running from the battery to the horns (however it was a older fuse and I had to clean the contacts but it was good).

On the back of the hella supertones there is the connection for the ground and the signal from the relay but it isn't labeled positive or negative and I haven't tried switching them over yet.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

P.S. I just went out and tested my positive from the battery, and it's good.

Last edited by Astroman; 04-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I didn't have the patience to watch the video, but this is how I installed my Steibel horns, using the OEM horn relay to drive another relay to power the horns.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=22
Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I love the job you did on that wiring there Scott, very nice. But not really helpful for my problem.

I had the wifey help me a bit, pressing the horn while I ran my tester. Everything works at the switch, but the positive (signal) wire isn't getting juice, guess I need to recheck my positive wire to the horns from the relay. I just don't know which is positive and negative on the horns. Electrical wiring isn't really my thing so I feel like a total newb at this.

This is the schematic I used (same as the video)
Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I don't think horns have a + or - side. I don't recall mine caring one way or the other when I installed them.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Ok I kinda figured. I think I just need to check my wiring again.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
Astroman
You appear to have the connections right on the relay. If you google "12v horn wiring" you will find it. Did you actually test the new horn? Did you put its terminals across a 12v supply? Do you have the right polarity to the connections on the horn? Disconnect the 87 wire and with the horn button, pressed you should find 12V+ on that relay terminal. This will eliminate a relay fault.
regards Muz
PS Off topic - just noticed you, cranky OM and I all on together. It is 1035 Monday here is Aus. Greetings.
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Where did you connect the terminal 86 wire to? In the diagram it shows it going to the steering wheel switch, but it shows 85 going to +12. On the Yaris, if you connected 86 to the wire that feeds the horn, then you would have +12 on both 85 and 86 when you press the horn switch, so the relay will not close.

Actually I see now that the diagram is showing 30 as what I thought it was showing 85 as. Are you saying that 85 is connected to ground?

Also, with the horns, on some the mounting strap is grounded on other it is not. If it is not on yours, then you will need to connect a wire from the negative terminal of the horn to the mounting bolt.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
aussie muzza

Scott
With all respect I think he actually has the 12+ to the 30 wire. His diagram is a bit confusing and I looked at it a couple of times but the terminal numbers are all to the right of the cables. 85 appears to go to earth.
regards muz
Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muzza View Post
Scott
With all respect I think he actually has the 12+ to the 30 wire. His diagram is a bit confusing and I looked at it a couple of times but the terminal numbers are all to the right of the cables. 85 appears to go to earth.
regards muz
Correct - That's what I was thinking after looking at it a couple of times. He also mentioned the relay clicking, so the coil side of the wiring is fine.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
aussie muzza

Astroman
My esteemed colleague and I have determined that your wiring is indeed correct.
Your mission is now to determine if the horn is working and connected properly.
Regards Muz
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Lol! Yes I have 85 grounded from the relay with a self-tapping screw into some metal, the horns are grounded to the bolts that the horns are mounted with and I made sure to grind some paint off so it made contact. 30 is the one I ran 12v+ from the positive side of the battery with a 20a fuse and have verified the relay is getting power, and that when the horn is pressed what I assume is 87 (can't see from the angle, and I used liquid tape may have to verify) lights up my tester. 86 is wired to the horn signal.

I'll test the horns to the 12v wire as I know that is good to verify the horns are working. I've tried switching the polarity on the horns to no avail. Since I have extra wire I'm going to make a new test wire and see if each horn works. If it does then perhaps my coupling splice didn't work or maybe I have a break in the line as I did make the original wire too short, and used two butt connectors to patch in a extra foot. I also have an extra set of horns that I can use for testing if need be.

I'm going to try a few more things tonight but it's getting late. Scott I'll be needing a couple small interior pieces if you have them. I lost my right map light cover (flew out the open window when I took a corner, and the cover was on the dashboard, ran over by another car) and the little square plastic cover for the parking brake lock. Mine went missing when my cousin was painting the car.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it! I know Murphey has a hand here because I wrapped everything up all nice and neat before testing.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Have you tried another relay?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Not yet. I do have another one I can try from the first horn. Didn't get out there last night to try. I figured with the lack of instructions online and a really vague wiring instructions that came with the horns this would be easy and I've done speakers, amps and stereos before.

At this point after the feedback and my testing it's either the signal wire to the horns from the relay, the relay itself, or I plugged the wires into the wrong spot on the relay.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I had a retired electrical lineman help me a little bit ago with some troubleshooting. From the 12v wire from the battery and the ground from the self tapping screw the horns work and he verified my relay is wired right and putting out the correct volts. He thinks my ground may be bad and suggested I run my ground from the radiator support to the screw I had the relay mounted with. Since I'll be in there I'll double check my positive wire that is run to the horns.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
First thought is that if the relay clicks but the horns don't work then the most likely cause would be ground side for the horns. I routed a cable from my grounding kit to the ground for my horns and they work great. I also had an intermittent grounding issue that would make the horns sputter sometime and not work others.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote