Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #37
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
To be completely blunt you can't just "look" at used oil. That does not a bit of good. Case in point is a guy on the new 1nz Enthusiasts Garage from PR. He had an analysis report done on his Royal Purple. He was pretty disappointed because it always "looks" good.

From my m-o-b-i-l-e
A person can draw no conclusion on the state of their oil by simply looking at it other than to check the current oil level.

I've never seen Royal Purple perform overwhelmingly good in any real test (going back 3+ years). It's just a middle-of-the-pack, well marketed motor oil in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
I run amsoil 0-20w with a corolla amsoil filter. 15k intervals and im at 73k. Motor runs amazing and is gorgeous inside.
What filter number is that? What's the benefit of running it over the recommended filter for the Yaris?

AMSOIL has discontinued the EA15K10 if that's the filter you were running, you're going to have to revert back to the EA15K09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
We'll than the problem is not so much the oil but filtration a better way to keep it clean as the article states ,it can last a long time . That maybe true problem is that it brakes down do to the contaminants like I said I see what comes out ....I for one do and always will change my oil at 5k ...longer life ,sludge free engine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolf, if you could see the inside of the motor was clean and you got back a used oil analysis with 5,000 miles on the oil that said 'your oil is absolutely perfect, there is no need to change it right now', would you still walk outside and drain the oil?

Filtration is not the issue either. With a completed analysis, there would be tell-tale signs that the oil filter was no longer effectively doing it's job and that's not happening. I'm looking at my most recent analysis in another window while I type this. The following are families of metals that are all checked on a UOA:
- wear metals
- contaminant metals
- multi-source metals
- additive metals
They're all good! I can take off my oil fill cap and shine a light in my valve cover, it's so clean! When I remove my oil dipstick, there aren't any varnished up spots on it. My dipstick looks like it did the day the car had 1 mile on it. You know how dipsticks will get that used oil 'glaze' in certain spots? Not mine.

Last edited by frambach; 04-06-2014 at 11:50 PM.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #38
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Been using Mobile1 on almost all my vehicles the past 30 years and my dad way longer then that. We go 20,000 km between changes on our every day passenger vehicles and 10,000 km on tuned or mod cars. Every 5,000 km we clean or replace the air filter, I usually verify several times before 5,000 km. Also I replace the oil filter every 5,000 km, fill the new oil filter before installing it. I have a 1995 Chrysler minivan for work with 383,000 km, runs perfect. My 1999 SLT Suburban also on Mobile1 with 293,000 km and doesn't pass or burn more oil then when it was purchased new. My dad's 86' Cadilac Fleetwood was sold with 450,000km always on Mobile1 and oil changes at 20,000km, sometimes more. New owner can't believe how well maintained it was and that it doesn't use more oil then new.

So...................personally I have done it with great success and unless you have hands on experience, don't knock it.
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #39
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
I've gone 10k and change with Royal Purple when moneys been tight. I normally go 7.5k between regular changes with this oil and have been using it for years.
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #40
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
I'm a believer in synthetic I have always used 5-30wt usually Mobil 1 or a generic brand synthetic oil. I've had several vehicles that when swapped to synthetic the operating temps dropped about 10 degrees..So that convinced me to stay on that path.

I've done the majority of my changes at between 5k and the longest was over 11k, I live 2 hrs east of Los Angeles and ITS HOT where I live. HOT as in 120 degrees!! in the summer and 2 months over 100 degrees EVERY DAY. I drive my little car ..quite hard, Im sure I drive the poor thing FAR harder than most people here probably anyone..I'm not to proud to admit that, but its probably true When I changed the oil at 11k..IT WAS DARK, PURE BLACK IMO it was FAR TOO LONG, I also run a stupid "oiled" INJEN CAI air filter most of the time..it doesn't filter anywhere near as well as a stock filter does so probably attributed to the extremely dirty oil..

I'm totally in favor and recommend anyone to change the oil between 3k and 5k especially if you utilize a aftermarket "performance" filter. IMO there good for nothing but making a intake noise..unless you have a forced induction system or a modified cam intake set up.
I have 160,000 very hard miles and she's still running pretty good..no complaint. I do see metal particles in my oil changes. I might post another thread on this..I've been told its perfectly normal under any situation..so im on the fence over it.
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #41
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I use to do it every 10 k. I do it 5.5 to 6.5 k now.
I am using Castrol high mileage oil for cars with 100 000 km and more.I change the oil filter and air filter every 6 months. Gearbox oil every 40k again using Castrol product called Syntrax with G70 gear box treatment additive.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #42
frambach

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb visitor View Post
I also run a stupid "oiled" INJEN CAI air filter most of the time..it doesn't filter anywhere near as well as a stock filter does so probably attributed to the extremely dirty oil..

I'm totally in favor and recommend anyone to change the oil between 3k and 5k especially if you utilize a aftermarket "performance" filter. IMO there good for nothing but making a intake noise..unless you have a forced induction system or a modified cam intake set up.
Just so you know, it's not just 'your opinion'. Those filters do a very poor job of filtration. Cummins (diesel engine manufacturer) has come out with a TSB against them. Their capacity is lower than a stock cellulose and their efficiency is lower too. I'd recommend an AMSOIL dry filter to replace your oiled filter. We use the same filtration technology that our U.S. Government uses on the M1 Abram tanks. If you tell me what your filter dims are, I can look up an AMSOIL 'universal' filter to replace it with & give you a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb visitor View Post
I do see metal particles in my oil changes. I might post another thread on this..I've been told its perfectly normal under any situation..so im on the fence over it.
I've never seen metal in my Yaris oil! I'd start a used oil analysis regimen on that car post haste before you get in position where the engine fails.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #43
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post

I've never seen metal in my Yaris oil! I'd start a used oil analysis regimen on that car post haste before you get in position where the engine fails.
I have a Gold Plug http://www.goldplug.com/ in place, and there are metal (fine) metal particles stuck on it every time i change oil. Shouldn't be an issue, but you ARE looking at metal friction against metal.. there will always be some kind of metal particles falling off no matter what oil you use.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #44
frambach

A magnetic plug will only attract and retain ferrous metals. I have a Fumoto oil drain valve in place of my drain plug or I'd consider getting one. I've looked at the FilterMAG products before and have considered being a dealer for them.

My last UOA had the highest ppm content of iron I've ever had and it was at 20ppm. That's with 12,538 on the oil with no top-offs and no filter change. I can assure you there was not enough metal to see with the naked eye.

xb visitor said "I do see metal particles in my oil changes." He/she did not say whether or not they have a mag plug. Without a magnetic plug, that is disturbing information. If he/she is utilizing a mag plug, not so much.