Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Window Tint Fail

I should have known better. I rushed the job. My downfall was a dull utility knife and overworking the glue on the film. Oh well, $15.00 wasted, unless I can get eBay seller to send me one tiny rear window piece. I'll probably go have it professionally done. I had tint applied to the rear windows and hatch of my 2012 Rondo - Llumar film, I believe - and it was perfect install and remained like new for the 3 years I owned the car.

Sorry, no pics of my botched job...too embarrasing.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
lol. somethings i leave for others to do, this is one of those things.
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91mustang View Post
Yup, I'm tending to agree with you at this point.

Already sent in two quote requests to local outfits.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91mustang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yup, I'm tending to agree with you at this point.

Already sent in two quote requests to local outfits.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
make sure to make the side windows are extra long. my passenger window had to be redone 3 times before it stopped catching on the bottom. the tint shop was trying to tell me i needed to adjust my window tracks. "what??" they told me there was little screws in the side rails to adjust the pressure in the glass.
no. just stop being cheap and cut it 3" longer.
it has been perfect for 2 years.
plus a shop will usually warranty it for life. so in 10 years you can bring it back and get it redone for free...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Both my cars have tint professionally done. Can't complaint. They are perfect.

My Yaris is pretty much 10years now, and still look great.

My Mazda 5 is going on its first year, by a different tint shop. So far so good, but I wish the tint wasn't brownish tint and black instead.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
make sure to make the side windows are extra long. my passenger window had to be redone 3 times before it stopped catching on the bottom. the tint shop was trying to tell me i needed to adjust my window tracks. "what??" they told me there was little screws in the side rails to adjust the pressure in the glass.
no. just stop being cheap and cut it 3" longer.
it has been perfect for 2 years.
plus a shop will usually warranty it for life. so in 10 years you can bring it back and get it redone for free...
Interesting! Are you talking about the back windows? I agree, it's nice to have a guarantee.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Both my cars have tint professionally done. Can't complaint. They are perfect.

My Yaris is pretty much 10years now, and still look great.

My Mazda 5 is going on its first year, by a different tint shop. So far so good, but I wish the tint wasn't brownish tint and black instead.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the professional job but the outfit I bought the tint from is sending me another kit free, so I may give it another try. If it fails again, then it's def off to be done by the pros. Or, I may ask if the local guys would apply the tint I have. I bet they will decline, but I may ask anyway.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
IllusionX

Precut ones may or may not work. You still need to learn how to use the heat gun to shape it around the glass.

Working it around a flat surface is really easy. You just need a soapy solution so the glue doesn't stick to the glass right away.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Precut ones may or may not work. You still need to learn how to use the heat gun to shape it around the glass.

Working it around a flat surface is really easy. You just need a soapy solution so the glue doesn't stick to the glass right away.

Yes, I watched a video on youtube last night about shrinking, creating small fingers and using the heatgun and card to smooth them out as well as shape it to the glass. I think it's beyond my skill level, especially since I only have one shot to get it right - at least on the one window I botched. I'll try another window as I will have two chances for each other window. I still have the three pieces left from the first kit. I'm prepared now anyway to pay to have it done, so minimally, I'll get to practice a bit. The other thing is is that I don't have the appropriate tools. I know people say the whole thing can be done with a credit card and absorbant towel but that's probably by people who are experienced. Thanks.

In retrospect, I think the issue was that the tint was slightly larger than the window and there are parts of the rubber that I couldn't get the film tucked under. I had tried one of the small triangular rear windows.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I tend to diy everything and as stated above tiny is one of those things I watched doy videos on and realized the cost of good tint was only $100 less than the tint job. I opted to have it professionally done.

Lifetime warranty except the rear window due to the defroster coils
Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I tend to diy everything and as stated above tiny is one of those things I watched doy videos on and realized the cost of good tint was only $100 less than the tint job. I opted to have it professionally done.

Lifetime warranty except the rear window due to the defroster coils
Yeah, I bet I'll ultimately end up in the tint shop. It makes sense that they wouldn't warranty the back window due to, as you say, the defroster lines.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Interesting! Are you talking about the back windows? I agree, it's nice to have a guarantee.
<------ i drive a 3 door. my rear windows do not roll down.

my tint shop did not say anything about non rear window warranty. i'll have to call and ask about that...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #14
IllusionX

You often see back window bubble up. These installers used crappy tint film typically don't warranty it.

Both my cars were done and carry life time warranty. Not like I will ever need it. They stand by their work, and it's good.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
<------ i drive a 3 door. my rear windows do not roll down.

my tint shop did not say anything about non rear window warranty. i'll have to call and ask about that...
OK. I understand now which windows you are talking about. Just not sure about the extra 3" of tint you referred to. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
You often see back window bubble up. These installers used crappy tint film typically don't warranty it.

Both my cars were done and carry life time warranty. Not like I will ever need it. They stand by their work, and it's good.

Whether I attempt the install myself - seller is sending me another kit - I will not be doing the rear (liftgate) window. The tint job is mainly to reduce the sun in the light in the rear seats. Kids will drive us crazy if there is too much 'screen glare'. :) I expect that in the end, I'll probably end up going with the pros. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #17
IllusionX

I did my civic with cling tint. 5% did an amazing job at reducing sun glare. I installed them using the same technique as standard window tinting, but it doesn't need to shape around the curved glass.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
I did my civic with cling tint. 5% did an amazing job at reducing sun glare. I installed them using the same technique as standard window tinting, but it doesn't need to shape around the curved glass.

I like the sound of that. If you mess up, I assume you just peel back, readjust. Will it cling multiple times? And, I wonder if you can buy precut kits for the Yaris.

I had another crack the back window today. Everything went really well, until I tore a small strip out with my card, despite having it well lubricated with slip solution. There must have been a tiny speck of sand or something on the film. I really respect the folks that can put this stuff on flawlessly. Again, I tried doing this outside with a very mild breeze, not the right tools etc so it was destined to fail.

When the new kit arrives, I'm going to try again in my garage with the proper tools. Again, I bet I'll be in a tint shop within a week or two.