Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
How can I wash my Yaris on apartment grounds

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you live in apartments where there is no access to a water house. I was considering taking a bucket of water and a microfiber cloth, but I don't know if this is fairly efficient. Any ideas on how to clean my ar easily in my situation.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
For me, i go to a coin-op diy car wash. They have everything you need and i just pay with quarters that i collect since the last wash
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yes, just go to a coin-op car wash .....that's what I do.
You can even carefully use the "foaming brush" mode as long as you first blast it with the power wash to remove any grit etc from it..

BTW, I have used a bucket to wash wheels and the engine compartment., etc.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Wait till it rains and head out to the car with your bucket.

For best results wear your birthday suit!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I never wash my car with water.

This is my favorite waterless car wash, but there are many brands to choose from.

http://www.amazon.com/Smartwax-20105...s=smartwax+one

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I never wash my car with water.

This is my favorite waterless car wash, but there are many brands to choose from.

http://www.amazon.com/Smartwax-20105...s=smartwax+one

I never even imagined something like that existed.
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
You can also call a buddy who has a house with a hose and use theirs. Clean his car while you're at it and he will never mind you using his hose :)
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
ijaen
First time Toyota owner

Drives: 2014 Yaris sedan / Vios
I use ONR to wash my car when I'm at the apartment, works the same way as the Smartwax ONE that Cali Yaris posted.
Just be sure the car is not THAT dirty, it works for mildly/slightly dirty cars. Great for touchups.
ijaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
quimico

Drives: Yaris HB 07
I need a Coin-op or Self Service Car Wash here... :(
quimico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #10
spammerhamster

Drives: Yaris Hybrid
I have a mobile water pressure machine (not high pressure, just 9 bar) which can house 17 liter water and has a shampoo nozzle. (google for aqua2go or nomad)

I use that hose down my car. After that, I use 2 foldable buckets filled with water to do hand washing.

Planning to buy a foam gun too, to make things a tad easier (gloriamaster fm10)
spammerhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
I've used Smartwax One like posted ^up there. I liked it. I wrote a small thread on it.

Also, this passed weekend I tried something new (for me): the Gary Dean Wash Method (youtube it). I made some small adjustments to his method, but the basic foundation he has will work. My gf lives in a place where she can't use the water hose for washing her car. This GDWM worked and the car looked great (it was fairly dirty, and I was hesitant in doing this method due to the amount of dirt on it - hence, the small adjustments I made).

edit: might as well include the small adjustments I made here

1) I used Optimum No Rinse. Why? Because I got it thru Amazon Prime in two days. I needed it PRONTO. Dean's products would have taken longer than the two days

2) Instead of one bucket, I used two. Essentially I mixed the GDWM and the 2 Bucket Wash together

3) I ended up picking up a 2 Gal bucket (Already had 2 of the 5 gal ones) to make it more efficient. Smaller is less clumsy, and easier to move around. I'll be getting another 2 gal bucket for this same reason. I didn't need 5 gallons worth of water!

4) I used distilled water, knowing her water source was "hard" (used 4 gallons total)

5) I'm not sure what else I did differently. Though, I did try a garden sprayer instead of a water spray bottle. That didn't work out as well as I thought, so went back to the water spray bottle.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
I have been known on occasion, when I don't feel like doing a full blown wash and wax etc. to take a 5 gal. Home Depot bucket with a lid, fill it about a 1/3 with hot water add my Mequiars car wash soap toss in my car sponge snap on the lid put it on the floor of the passenger side and head off the the car wash.

$1.00 for the water wand get it wet, then out comes the bucket give it a quick hand wash and then a $ 1.50 to rinse.

I don't care for car washes that much except to rinse off my car, brushes, brush less, foaming etc. meh.

My GF takes her FIT to a car wash and for $10.00 you get all kinds of different colored foams, it is like some 70's late night rock and roll psychedelic background going on on the windows.

I imagine this is what it was like inside Timothy Leary's head, very exciting, and again, meh.

I suppose that really didn't answer your question about apt. complex car washing.

Hand wash it at a car wash.

Last edited by NEexpat; 09-22-2014 at 07:43 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
justjesus

The bucket to the self-service car wash is next on my list. I plan on doing just that, since there's one just down the street from where I work. Might even do a couple of co-worker's cars.

I did the drive-thru car was with the psychedelic colors for several years. For 6$ and for the decent job it did, I couldn't complain.

The OP should have some ideas as to what he can do now. His question has been answered. :)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
...every time I go through the car wash and see the colors of the rainbow, I imagine myself running over a unicorn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
I have been known on occasion, when I don't feel like doing a full blown wash and wax etc. to take a 5 gal. Home Depot bucket with a lid, fill it about a 1/3 with hot water add my Mequiars car wash soap toss in my car sponge snap on the lid put it on the floor of the passenger side and head off the the car wash.

$1.00 for the water wand get it wet, then out comes the bucket give it a quick hand wash and then a $ 1.50 to rinse.

I don't care for car washes that much except to rinse off my car, brushes, brush less, foaming etc. meh.

My GF takes her FIT to a car wash and for $10.00 you get all kinds of different colored foams, it is like some 70's late night rock and roll psychedelic background going on on the windows.

I imagine this is what it was like inside Timothy Leary's head, very exciting, and again, meh.

I suppose that really didn't answer your question about apt. complex car washing.

Hand wash it at a car wash.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
justjesus

LMAO

That also makes me think of Charlie the Unicorn! (youtube it if you haven't heard of him)
Old 12-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
I live in an apartment complex too. luckily there is a tap in the carpark, on a Sunday afternoon I bucket wash the car. Sunday is best as less people around and security guard does not come till 8pm.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
justjesus

My friend has similar, and I went to help him wash on a Sunday. But, damn, his water pressure sucks!!!! It's pretty weak. Not worth the time/effort to do it there.

Hope your pressure is better!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
vaironl

There are taps in some places but they are for the serivce staff only. Maybe I'll sneak in a wash at 3:00AM

Tags
washing car