Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
obxcassandra

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5 DR LB Automatic
Need Your Help in Choosing a New Set of Tires

Hi All, I need your advice/recommendations on tires for my 2009 Yaris Hatchback. It came with stock 15 inch rims. I've read reviews for 3 days now and I am feeling information overload. lol
I'm replacing the Bridgestone's that came stock on my Yaris. They barely passed inspection, and the mechanic said I needed tires. I got 58,200 miles off this set of tires that came with the car when I bought it new from Toyota.
My morning commute is about 25 miles going down I-85, running between 70-75 mph, same coming back home. My other driving is about 4 to 5 miles to the grocery store, ect here in town.
We rarely get snow here in NC, but I will be purchasing snow/winter tires this winter nonetheless. (We had a few snow showers so I don't want to chance it now that I'm commuting so far away from home.)
Last year I ran over a nail, so my back right tire is practically brand new. It is a Nexel or Nexed, 165 something or another. (I read that when you buy new tires you should buy all 4 the same, so I thought I should add that.)
Since most of my daily driving is on the interstate (50 miles a day at least), a quiet, smooth and long wearing tire is important to me.
I have read good things about the Conti Plus, the Defender, the 747's and others.
Would you help me with recommendations?
Thank you in advance,
Cassandra
obxcassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
If you look closely at your tire there are three things that might help you with your decision. This is the Uniform Tire Quality Gradeing (UTQG). It's a standard used for all tires.

TREADWEAR - this is for how long the tire will last. The numbers range in the vicinity of 150 to around 500. The higher the number the slower it wears down, meaning the longer it suppose to last.

TRACTION - Might be "AA" or "A" or "B" or "C". This is the grade on how well it stops on wet pavements. AA means it does very well compared to a tire with a C grade.

TEMPERATURE - You will see "A" or "B" or "C". "A" means tire can dissipate heat better than "C".

So what you probably want is something with at least a TREADWEAR 400 TRACTION A TEMPERATURE A.

Was that TMI for you? Then just get the same tire size at the ones that came with the Yaris (185/60/15). Most brands are good. Kumho, Nexen, Yokohama, Continental, Bridgestone, etc.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The Michelin Defender or Ecopia 422 would be a good start . Have the 422s' on a '11 Fit . Gas mileage is slightly better than the Dunlop 31 A/S that came on it new . Much easier to maintain or better the gas mileage . Go here if you like , http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cinder/fit . Gas mileage is 38.7 > 42.3 . Have 5 straight tanks of 40+ and on way to another . Seen where Defender users are reporting increase of 2 > 4 m.p.g.. Good luck .

Last edited by Hershey; 07-31-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I'd replace with 195/60/15's. Here are a couple of suggestions:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=195

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=195
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
obxcassandra

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5 DR LB Automatic
Hi guys, thank you very much for helping me with your suggestions. I purchased 3 tires today, because the man that helped me said it would be a waste to throw away that brand new tire I just bought 10 months ago. He put on 3 new Goodride SP06 185/60R15's that he said "matched very closely" to the Nexen tire. The tires were 68.00 each, plus tax and tire disposal fee. (204+4+7.50=$215.50). I looked at the ratings for this tire, and the UTQG is 480-A-A. The treadlife warranty is 40,000 miles. Driving home at 75 mph, I can tell you that I was impressed with the smooth and quiet ride.
obxcassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
That is dirt cheap for tires. I paid recently over 700$ for tires for my Yaris. But then again .. I live in Canada where we are used to being bent over backwards and screwed.

I don't know who makes the tires you got but the Nexen I think they sell those at Walmart and as far as I know they are really inexpensive.

I looked up your tires .. and they are 92$ here in Canada. So you got a good deal ..

I drive my Yaris like a granny . . so I expect my tires to last a long time.

Last edited by edmscan; 08-01-2012 at 07:43 PM.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Hershey

Hope they work out for you . We got 4 Ecopia 422s' for $56.60 each . Excludes tax . 480 A and A . 65,000 mile warranty and are H rated .
Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I don't know about the US .. but here we have huge extras to pay for, everything from installation to balancing to tire recycling even nitrogen .. and overall the price of the tire is like only part of the total price. All I know . . is that unless you are willing to put your tires on yourself (which isn't practical for most people), you are going to be screwed when it comes to paying the bill.

But talking tires ... the one thing that annoys me the most, why the **** doesn't the Yaris have a real spare tire ? Like what is up with that stupid fake tire that is supposed to be the spare. I don't even think that it is a real wheel so I couldn't put a real tire on it if I wanted to. Maybe someone can let me know on this one ?

But I do love my new tires on my Yaris .. they are shiny and new. Well black and new anyways. I just wish that I didn't have to pay so much for them. But I guess what is done is done in this case.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Edscan, they have the same charges here. I bought my Hanook optima 727 tires at tirerack.com for 70 bucks, and when they got here, had them mounted and balanced at walmart. They charged 11 bucks a tire and it includes lifetime balance and rotation. I'm 57 and dont enjoys lugging those tires around in the garage like I used to.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Hershey

There's a owner of a 2008 Prius that bought the Defenders and claims a gain of 4 or 5 miles per gallon . Tires ride well and do fine in wet weather . Thy're 185/65-15s' . These may go on the '08 sedan next .