Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Southeast
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Anything Going On down in FL?

I'm gonna be down there (Orlando) either Sunday or Monday (depending on the drive) for the week (or until I run out of money). Let me know!

I'm having the Yaris dewinterized for the trip and will be rolling along with my buddies new Acura MDX. Guess I'm putting my car back together early this year.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
if u end up in miami, PM me
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
If you're coming all the way down from NYC... I'd recommend skipping Orlando (aside from the resorts if you want to spend that kinda money) and getting off of the interstates and major highways. Take a drive through the Ocala National Forest, or cruise down the coast on US-1 or something, far more interesting than the highway. (seen one interstate, seen 'em all) Get out to the beaches on either coast (or both). See more than just the "urban" setting of Orlando... you got urban in NY!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
If you're coming all the way down from NYC... I'd recommend skipping Orlando (aside from the resorts if you want to spend that kinda money) and getting off of the interstates and major highways. Take a drive through the Ocala National Forest, or cruise down the coast on US-1 or something, far more interesting than the highway. (seen one interstate, seen 'em all) Get out to the beaches on either coast (or both). See more than just the "urban" setting of Orlando... you got urban in NY!
lol at Orlando being "urban"

but i agree. disney blows chunks... time it right and you could hit an autocross down here ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Loren
What?

I'll put it this way... I grew up in Central Florida. When I joined the AF and moved away, we would come back to FL every few years. The later trips we just flew into Orlando and did the Disney thing. The last trip we made we decided to not just stay in Orlando, but rent a car and get out and see the rest of Florida, which we hadn't done in many year. We spent a couple days in Orlando, but the rest of the week we drove around to some of our old haunts, hit several of the Gulf coast beaches, went to Kennedy Space center, etc.

After that trip, we decided it was time to move back to Florida! Orlando never made us feel that way.

You're right, though... I guess most of Orlando isn't really "urban", it's rather spread out.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
HEAT Imports has meets every Friday and Monday just west of Orlando in Clermont. Check out our site for more info, http:///www.heatimports.com/

BTW, the Outlet malls were a big thing back when I lived closer, you might want to check them out.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Yeah, we're going to Disney since I never been there, my buddy has his kids, and my girl wants to go.

Me and him are both car guys (he sold his crazy fast street Evo several months ago ... [747 whp on pump gas ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QB0x...ature=related]) and were seeing if anything was going on while we were down there.

I saw a thread about the Heat Imports. I'm gonna run it by him and see if we can make it. I've also been talking to Ray (Puetato) too.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
Old 02-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Ill be heading over to the heat imports meet tonight, friday.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Loren
What?

Disney is very much geared to the 5-10 year old crowd. You'll have fun with your girlfriend, and especially if you hang out with the kids some, but it's far from "exciting" stuff. Probably more fun for those of us who went there when we were younger to go back and say "oh, man, remember this ride???"

Be sure to hit the Haunted House and It's A Small World. The Haunted House is kinda lame, but fun. Small World is completely lame... but it's part of the Disney experience. Both are great things to do mid-afternoon when it's hot, you're tired of standing in the long lines for the big rides, and you just want to chill. Report back to us and tell us if you got through the Space Mountain line without a breakdown... seems there's always a delay on that ride.

If you get a multi-park pass, you'll have more fun at the Disney/MGM park. Animal Planet is decent, too. Oh, and Epcot, of course.

But, THE best theme park in Orlando is Universal Islands of Adventure. Awesome high-tech rides and coasters, very thorough themes, lots to do. Catch a Blue Man Group show while you're there!

There are at least two really good go-kart facilities in Orlando that you might enjoy checking out. But, like I said before... do try to find some time to get away from Orlando, even if it's just to go to Kennedy Space Center. Maybe cruise South from KSC and take some back roads back up to Orlando.

Since you're driving down, you might try to adjust your route such that you drive through the mountains of WV, VA, TN, etc. Beats the hell out of (yawn) I-95. You could even take a side trip through the fabled Deal's Gap. Or just enjoy some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any of that is worth the time it adds to your drive.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
isnt there a new mountain ride? I remember being there when it was under construction, abominable snowman? or something
Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
well if its sunday on the 22nd? there is going to be a meet in orlando for us floridians o.0, All car meet but hopefully a good yaris crowd will meet up?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Ya if your here on the 22nd there is the large kamispeed meet at a circuit track, there will be lots of cars, I'm headed there and aa couple others are, plus u can check out the kamispeed yaris in person.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
isnt there a new mountain ride? I remember being there when it was under construction, abominable snowman? or something
Haven't heard about that one. Oh, found a news article on it, it's at Animal Kingdom.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/6394400/detail.html

Busch Gardens in Tampa isn't a bad place to go if you've not been there. It's not as large as most of the Orlando parks, and doesn't have that Disney "polish" on it, but there are some really good roller coasters there... and quite a variety of them. It's sort of like Animal Kingdom with a lot of "zoo" built into it.

And if you've come that far, might as well trek over to Clearwater Beach and take a dolphin cruise. I recommend a boat called the "Sea Screamer", it's a giant speedboat that goes out in the Gulf at 60 mph, kicks up some great wake and the dolphins LOVE to play in it! Very cool.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
You're thinking of Mt. Everest.

We won't be around that Sunday the 22nd cuz I'm back to work on Monday =(

We want to take the quickest possible and stop along South of the Border and D.C. on the way back. It really depends on how much fun we're having. If not, then next time for those extra stops.

I appreciate everything in terms of the responses I'm getting. Some people aren't fond of us Nu Yawkers, lol!

Thanks a lot guys and girls.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
hey don't forget to stop by Kamispeed on Sandlake road if you come to orlando!
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Loren
What?

Plan on spending a day in DC if you can, there's plenty to see there. Smithsonian museums and all that.

South of the Border is a tourist trap. Hardly worth the stop unless you need gas or lunch or something. (another one of those neat "we came here when I was a kid" places)

Half of everyone you meet in FL is from somewhere in the NE, we're used to having y'all around!

One thing that's fun about Disney is the "world" culture that you see there. People from all over the US, Canada, Europe, Asia, South America... and everybody's happy to be there. "Happiest place on Earth" and all that.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

I'm here! Drove all night and I'm friggin' shot.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
Old 02-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
hey don't forget to stop by Kamispeed on Sandlake road if you come to orlando!
x1000 if you brought money....
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote