Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
URGENT. BALL JOINT REINSTALLATION QUESTION

URGENT HELP!!

I REPLACED MY WHEEL BEARING AND HAVE REINSTALLED THE HUB KNUCKLE, TOP CONTROL ARM AND BALL JOINT. ITS ALL READY TO GO...BUT,
I AM HAVING A MASSIVE ISSUE GETTING THE LOWER BALL JOINT TO SEAT BACK INTO THE HUB/BEARING KNUCKLE. ITS STARTED AND IVE TRIED TIGHTENING THE NUT TO SEAT IT BUT TO NO AVAIL..ITS GOING TO STRIP OR BREAK. POUNDING ON THE BALL JOINT HAS DONE NOTHING EITHER.

YOU CANT USE ANY TYPE OF HOME PULLER ETC.. AS THE NUT IT RIGHT BELOW THE CV JOINT AND OIT HAS TO BE ASSEMBLED BEFORE ITS TIGHTENNED.

IVE CALLED SEVERAL MECHANICS THAY ALL SAY "OH IT WILL SEAT EVENTUALLY" WELL ITS BEEN 3 HRS OF TRYING??

WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE ...I NEED THIS GOING BY TONIGHT!!
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I guess I'm not quite following whats happening but, if my understanding is correct you'll need to go this.

First get some pressure on the lower control arm, put a jack under the ball joint and jack up the arm till it puts pressure on the spring and forces against the stud. Once that happens slowly and I do mean slowly start to tighten the nut until it grabs against the upright and it should tighten all the way down after that.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
So is it binding? If it is, push or pull on the knuckle while a floor jack has a little pressure on the lower control arm.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
GOT IT! MY MISTAKE..DIDNT FIGURE IT OUT FOR 4 HOURS..ITS TOO EMBARRASSING TO ADMIT: laughabove:
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
May want to relax on the cap lock.