Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
CONSUMER REPORTS : MARCH issue reviews '09 YARIS .

Along with AVEO' , FIT , VERSA , and SUZUKI SX-4 for '09 . This is from the " what to look for in next issue " section from the February issue received by mail today a month in advance . We should receive the March issue at the end of next month. Could be interesting . ANTICIPATION !!! A real nail biter .

Last edited by gid; 12-29-2008 at 11:07 PM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
How about a link and not just a notice that its out?
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Yeah, CR hates Yari. They also used to trash the Saturn S series (great) cars too.
They would always gush over the (unreliable) VW's though.....
Take their opinions with a grain of salt.
I will buy that issue though, sounds like a good "shootout" comparo....
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
I saw a 2009 at the Dealership. Comes standard with six airbags and ABS. I'm sure that the Communist Union will give it a passing grade, provided that Toyota didn't jack up the price to help pay for the "safety" equipment.

Hey, maybe this year they'll even mention that a chimpanzee with a set of channel lock pliers can change the oil in a Yaris?

Shoot, if I could locate a set of smooth jaw Channel locks (they usually have serrations in the jaws that would damage the oil pan bolt) I'll try it myself just for grins.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I saw a 2009 at the Dealership. Comes standard with six airbags and ABS. I'm sure that the Communist Union will give it a passing grade, provided that Toyota didn't jack up the price to help pay for the "safety" equipment.

Gene

Agreed.

I have a feeling they'll reluctantly giving a "Recommend" check mark this year for the new safety features.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Well, it still wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Fit will be the winner. It's so predictable.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
auxmike

Anyone here drive the Versa? It appears to have like 122hp I think. Must move pretty good.
I did'nt have time to search too long for a car + my Dad is a diehard YOTA man, so off to 3 Toyota dealers we went! Glad I did, it's better looking than that Versa anyday...
Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Anyone here drive the Versa? It appears to have like 122hp I think. Must move pretty good.
I did'nt have time to search too long for a car + my Dad is a diehard YOTA man, so off to 3 Toyota dealers we went! Glad I did, it's better looking than that Versa anyday...
I had one as a rental when my Yaris was in the body shop after the old lady hit me (long story) while I was parked. It had the pickup but really lacked the handling to go with it. Even punching the gas, the lag time was about a second and a half until the computer told it to pump it. The cabin noise level was high as well, more so than ours.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
we would get the '09 PONTAIC VIBE ( Matrix ) before the VERSA , SX-4 , or AVEO' . We just test drove a 5 speed manual and 4 speed automatic last weekend . Very impressed with both . You can get the 5 speed for little over $15,000 and the automatic for around $16,500 . These have plenty of standrad safety and comfort features that are usually add ons for other manufacturers , including TOYOTA ( YARIS , MATRIX , etc. ) .

Last edited by gid; 01-01-2009 at 12:58 AM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
That Versa weighs more than the Yaris.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
the versa is bigger and heavier and really should be compared to corollas/civics, not yaris/fits, IMO

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
we would get the '09 PONTAIC VIBE ( Matrix ) before the VERSA , SX-4 , or AVEO' . We just test drove a 5 speed manual and 4 speed automatic last weekend . Very impressed with both . You can get the 5 speed for little over $15,000 and the automatic for around $16,500 . These have plenty of standrad safety and comfort features that are usually add ons for other manufacturers , including TOYOTA ( YARIS , MATRIX , etc. ) .
Next door neighbor owns one. They're a Toyota with some extra options. Made at the GM/Toyota NUMMI plant at Fremont. He loves his Vibe.

Gene
Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post

It's a Nissan.... Nissan is the enemy. Odd, I have to watch Nissan pilots like hawks on the road. They're pretty self absorbed, almost as bad as Escalade pilots.

Gene
Old 01-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Fit will be the winner. It's so predictable.
Because it's a better car
Old 01-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall View Post
Because it's a better car
I really like the Fit but comparison testers seem to conveniently forget about the significant price premium. A Fit Sport auto is $17,580 w/destination.
Toyota gives you a Corolla or Scion xB for that price. And nobody wants a base Fit as they just don't look right at all.

I know that Fit and Yaris are supposed to compete in the same segment but Honda doesn't seem to be able to build a basic car anymore. They need a car that starts below $12. Heck, an Accent and Versa start with a base of $9,990. Let's see how great a Honda would be for that price! Suddenly, they wouldn't look so great.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #17
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I really like the Fit but comparison testers seem to conveniently forget about the significant price premium. A Fit Sport auto is $17,580 w/destination.
Toyota gives you a Corolla or Scion xB for that price. And nobody wants a base Fit as they just don't look right at all.

I know that Fit and Yaris are supposed to compete in the same segment but Honda doesn't seem to be able to build a basic car anymore. They need a car that starts below $12. Heck, an Accent and Versa start with a base of $9,990. Let's see how great a Honda would be for that price! Suddenly, they wouldn't look so great.
Why are you comparing a Fit Sport to a regular Yaris?

Fits start at $14,750.

Yaris starts at $12,205. Actually, since the Fit is a 5door, we'll compare it to the 5door Yaris.

Yaris starts at $13,305.

The Yaris has a MP3/WMA player OPTIONAL.

Fit is standard.

The Fit comes with SIX AIRBAGS!!!!!! STANDARD!!!!!!

I'm not sure how much the Yaris comes with, but I'm pretty sure its two, standard.

The Fit has SO MUCH MORE OPTIONS.

And I'm preeeeeeeetttttyyyyy sure that the Fit sells better than the Yaris. Because the Fit looks better.

Come on guys. Don't kid yourselves. I love my Yaris regardless. But stop thinking its the best damn car in the world.

The Fit is a better car overall.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #18
auxmike

For '09 the Yaris has like 6 airbags and ABS standard.

I've seen the Fit on the road and one pulled up next to me at a light.
It DID look kinda like a crossover minivan.
For the $, I'd take a Scoin Xd over that Fit. My brother has one and it's QUICK!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee