Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
adigilani

Drives: Toyota Yaris Terra
Exclamation Yaris is shacking

Hi All

I have bought a second hand Toyota Yaris Registered in 2000 in Ireland. This is first time i have a toyota VVTI engine and just trying to understand all. I have few question and was hoping if someone can answer.

1) when i start the engine (car is parked unused couple of hours) the hot coolant sign (red) comes on but turn to cold coolant sign (green sign) instantly and stayes for a while and then disappear. It doesn't go back to red or green. Is it normal? If not, should i replace the coolant. If yes then how i can do that.

2) Car is shaking a little bit and when i press the accelerator car misses sometimes and i think i am not getting the full power of the engine. What can be the reason. I had a renault clio and it did the same thing and i discovered the ignition coils are gone. When i bought the car i was told the car is serviced and i checked the oil and it doesn't look like it need replacement. The mileage is only 32000miles. The service light doesn't come also so i guess it doesn't need service.

Can someone please answer the question.

Any help will be appreciated.
adigilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigilani View Post
Hi All

I have bought a second hand Toyota Yaris Registered in 2000 in Ireland. This is first time i have a toyota VVTI engine and just trying to understand all. I have few question and was hoping if someone can answer.

1) when i start the engine (car is parked unused couple of hours) the hot coolant sign (red) comes on but turn to cold coolant sign (green sign) instantly and stayes for a while and then disappear. It doesn't go back to red or green. Is it normal? If not, should i replace the coolant. If yes then how i can do that.

2) Car is shaking a little bit and when i press the accelerator car misses sometimes and i think i am not getting the full power of the engine. What can be the reason. I had a renault clio and it did the same thing and i discovered the ignition coils are gone. When i bought the car i was told the car is serviced and i checked the oil and it doesn't look like it need replacement. The mileage is only 32000miles. The service light doesn't come also so i guess it doesn't need service.

welcome to the yaris world

1) yes that is normal
2) we dont have service lights, also they could have just changed the oil,an not the oil filter check the air filter if its clean, i would rather do another full service my self just to be sure things are ok, the sparks plugs maybe need to be changed, also what color is the coolant it must be red,

our cars dont give problems if the serviced on time

hope you have many happy miles with your car and with us
Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
adigilani

Hi Nazier

Thanks for replying to my post.

I have checked the coolant and it is pink not the full red as i had in my previous toyota corolla EFI. Is it ok...?
As you advised, i will do the full service. However i know how to change the air and oil filter and oil but i do not know where the spark plugs are located and what is the procedure to change them. Can you point me to some tutorial. Please.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
Adigilani,

Spark Plugs are easy you will have to remove the black engine cover, there is a few nuts and it pulls right off, this will expose the coil packs right on the top of the engine, when you unbolt these and pull it off, the plugs will be right below. Use 6" extension and socket made for plugs, and a torque wrench is good, and some anti seize, and you should be set. It took me about an hour to do all of mine, and that was taking my time, do one at a time.

Good luck - Ron
Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Which motor is it? 1.0, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5?
Petrol or diesel?
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
adigilani

it is a 1.0L Petrol Terra model.

Thank you very much N9QGS. You have been a great help. It is 22:54 now here and i will change them first thing in the morning. However, can you tell me if bit of oil or synthetic spray can be alternative to this anti-seize lube or it has to be it.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Antiseize compound is a greasy (usually) silver paste with powdered metal in it. If you don't use it in an engine with the plug threads in aluminum, you'll very much wish you had done so the next time you try to take the plugs out.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
nazier
black shark

Quote:
Hi Nazier

I have checked the coolant and it is pink not the full red as i had in my previous toyota corolla EFI. Is it ok...?
As you advised, i will do the full service. However i know how to change the air and oil filter and oil but i do not know where the spark plugs are located and what is the procedure to change them. Can you point me to some tutorial. Please.

no probs, the pink coolant is fine, u can also use copper slip for the plugs, hows the brake fuild if its dark change it as well, while you at it check the fuse box if any of the fuses need to be changed, pull one out and see if there is build up, if there is use the finest sandpaper to clean it, the fuse and the slot, hows the wiper blades, how the brake pads and the disc doing, u might as well check all these things, so when u on the road u have peace of mind, check the following as well jack, wheel spaner, tow hitch, sparewheel,
Old 05-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Ex-Driver
I've made a post!

Drives: Silver H/B Yaris
Hello, Shake while accelerating with 07 yaris.

i checked my spark plug, all of them are in good shape, no wear, clog or rust on it. i have 145xxxkm on it. I found out that my Idle is pretty low. it's above 500 rpm, i was told that it should be 700 rpm or 800 rpm. If that's the case.. it's the alternator problem. Or maybe the ECU is receiving wrong message from electric system.

Oil change was done 2 weeks ago.
replaced oil filter as well.

I'm currently going through that shake while accelerating right now.

Does anyone else have this problem and got it fix??
Any help would be appreciated

Quote:
Hi All

Ex-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Driver View Post
i checked my spark plug, all of them are in good shape, no wear, clog or rust on it. i have 145xxxkm on it. I found out that my Idle is pretty low. it's above 500 rpm, i was told that it should be 700 rpm or 800 rpm. If that's the case.. it's the alternator problem. Or maybe the ECU is receiving wrong message from electric system.

Oil change was done 2 weeks ago.
replaced oil filter as well.

I'm currently going through that shake while accelerating right now.

Does anyone else have this problem and got it fix??
Any help would be appreciated
If it is a 1.3 or 1.5 litre petrol motor, then the correct hot idle speed with out any accessories on (a/c etc) is 650 rpm.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
nazier
black shark

ok recheck the plugs the plug wires could be loose and not making contact properly, if they are fine, check your fuel filter, also there could be dirt in the tank as the miles are high, also does the plugs have plug wire or does it have a box on the end, if it has box at the end, one of those boxes are not working, this happened to me with my bmw, and there is no power, and when the power comes it comes, let me know if you come right,
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
nazier
black shark

Quote:
Hi Nazier

Hi adi

did u come right hows the vehicle doing now
Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #13
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Just install the new plus as they come out of the box.

Never use copper paste for spark plugs or any part made from aluminium like cylinder heads. Copper paste is conducting so keep it away from high voltage (or even low voltage) parts. Copper paste will boost corrosion of aluminium (cylinder heads).

This MAY work and you MAY not have any problem but its for sure not recommended. In general you don't have to use any antiseize on spark plugs but if you really think you have to use it ... try other products like ceramic-based anti-seize.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
nazier
black shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
Just install the new plus as they come out of the box.

Never use copper paste for spark plugs or any part made from aluminium like cylinder heads. Copper paste is conducting so keep it away from high voltage (or even low voltage) parts. Copper paste will boost corrosion of aluminium (cylinder heads).

This MAY work and you MAY not have any problem but its for sure not recommended. In general you don't have to use any antiseize on spark plugs but if you really think you have to use it ... try other products like ceramic-based anti-seize.
thanks for that advise will keep it in mind,
Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
adigilani

have checked most of the stuff mentioned here all looked fine to me but i have decided to put a service on the vehicle after the petrol tank is empty. However i did use a petrol additive once in the last tank just so i can clear up the fuel lines and pump and after that the shake i was experiencing has gone completely and the performance is way better.

Thanks everyone.

However now i am looking to get tutorial on how to install new speakers in the back. My yaris doesn't have any back speakers. It has two in front doors and two on the dash board on each side. The sound isn't great. So i was hoping if someone can tell what is the size of the speakers i already have in yaris. They are factory ones.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I think that's bad advice to not use antiseize compound on plugs that are threaded directly into an aluminum head. Where there are steel inserts for the plug threads cast into the head you can get away with that, but plugs WILL seize in aluminum. You'll make the sellers of Helicoil kits happy if you leave off the antiseize.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #17
nazier
black shark

Quote:
have checked most of the stuff mentioned here all looked fine to me but i have decided to put a service on the vehicle after the petrol tank is empty. However i did use a petrol additive once in the last tank just so i can clear up the fuel lines and pump and after that the shake i was experiencing has gone completely and the performance is way better.

Thanks everyone.

However now i am looking to get tutorial on how to install new speakers in the back. My yaris doesn't have any back speakers. It has two in front doors and two on the dash board on each side. The sound isn't great. So i was hoping if someone can tell what is the size of the speakers i already have in yaris. They are factory ones.
yes they are standard ones u can unclip your door, and take out one speaker the details will be at the back of it, also u need to see if there is place in the rear doors for speakers if not then buy another back board so u can keep the original one, if u visit some sound shops they already have boards with speakers on it all u need is to install, also if u visit a sound shop they would normally have a package special, u can also have a look at that, but then also you need to make up your mind on what you want,

happy shopping for the sound
Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
kamar1808
I've made a post!

Drives: Vios 2007
mine too having this problem (shaking), the rpm is hunting, sometime the rpm gets below 500 rpm. I tried to drive the car back and forth, then the problem was gone and it turn up again the next engine start. This problem always turn up each time I start the engine, and gone when the transmission engaged.
kamar1808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000, coolant, engine, shaking, yaris