Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
BIG(GER)TM BRAKE KIT

Now that most of you have 16's and 17's on your cars, you notice the stopping distance for your car might not be what you want, or simply the look of that CD-sized brake rotor is not something that goes with the other performance aspects of your car.

I am in the process of sourcing components for a BIG(GER) brake kit just for us!!

What is a BIG(GER)TM Brake kit? We are developing a kit that features larger, slotted rotors for the Yaris and engineering a relocation bracket for your stock caliper, with stainless lines, pads and fluid.

A "real" big brake kit with caliper, lines, pads and rotors runs about $1399-1799 from StopTec, Wilwood, etc. I feel that increasing the mechanical advantage of the stock braking system, eliminating fade potential and firming brake feel will provide 90% of the benefits of a big brake kit at a FRACTION of the price.

Who is interested in something like this (maybe it will include caliper paint, too ) and what would you likely pay or think it should sell for?

Thanks for your time!!
Dave
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
so the shear size of the rotor is going to be for purely cosmetics, correct? obviously there will be a preformance upgrade due to the slotted rotors, ss lines, pads and fluid... but I am curious to how this would look with stock caliper, won't the pads hit the rotor in an offset location?

I like the concept, but would like to see a mock up b4 I put a $ amount on it
Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Interested!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
I want a bigger brake kit, but maybe i'm lost, i was reading what you put up top there...are you going to source calipers from some where - or is it just larger diameter rotors/lines and such with oem calipers...If I get a kit - it has to have calipers - I'm not down with painting them...
Old 08-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShatchback View Post
I want a bigger brake kit, but maybe i'm lost, i was reading what you put up top there...are you going to source calipers from some where - or is it just larger diameter rotors/lines and such with oem calipers...If I get a kit - it has to have calipers - I'm not down with painting them...
+1
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
why paint them to begin with? they look aluminum? looks good to me...painting them would look like ass...ghetto ass...

a better rotor, pads, and brake lines and master cyl are good places to start before you start messing with the size of the rotor.

one thing i would like to see developed would be a dual piston caliper for stock size rotor...12" rotors are for show only, you wouldnt need that much surface to stop a 2k pound car like the yaris even if you auto crossed.

besides, this car already stops very well, and is more than capable of locking up the tires at any speed...if it can do that on 17" rims with over sized tires you wont be noticing much of a differance for a street aplication unless you auto cross on the weekend...if it can lock up the tires the instant you slam the brake pedal, its not the brakes at that point...its the traction.

however, if you are offering a better caliper, brake lines, rotor, and pads for a good price i would be interested, depending on the parts used and the quality.

p.s. at some point i will be waiting for a rear disc conversion for non ABS sedans...that would be sweet.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
Vanderkitten

Larger rotor= More leverage= more leverage to stop the spinning wheel.

A BIG(GER) brake kit would be somewhat for show but provide a real-world performance upgrade.

Stock Caliper v. Aftermarket- The most expensive part of a brake kit is the caliper. Most cars (say, a GTI vs a GOLF) run a stock caliper and a bigger rotor as a factory brake upgrade. It makes a difference in look and performance.

The braking is about modulation, not the ability to stomp on a brake and lock the wheel...

Looking for more feedback, thanks!!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
A "real" big brake kit with caliper, lines, pads and rotors runs about $1399-1799 from StopTec, Wilwood, etc.
Wilwood big brake kit for my Scion tC was $850, 950 with drilled/slotted rotors. Just for the record...

I'd be interested...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
so the shear size of the rotor is going to be for purely cosmetics, correct?
No, he's making a relocation bracket to move the caliper out to accomodate the larger rotor... It's all about leverage.

As an example, in Mt. bikes it makes a HUGE difference upgrading from a 6 inch rotor to an 8 inch rotor, and all that is needed is the rotor and caliper mounting bracket, but NOT a new caliper. Same concept.

I think this is the way to go. I don't need extra braking power, but those who do will see a vast improvement.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 AM   #10
Vanderkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Wilwood big brake kit for my Scion tC was $850, 950 with drilled/slotted rotors. Just for the record...

I'd be interested...

Wow, the Yaris kit is way more than that... unless you somehow got it at wholesale? Maybe I need to recheck the price.

PETER, yeah, it's exactly like MTBs and motorcycles. It makes a very noticeable difference!

I'll keep you posted.

Dave
Old 08-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Wow, the Yaris kit is way more than that...
Doesn't look like Wilwood makes one yet? Or StopTech?
(from their websites, at least)

What kit do you mean?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
i am very interested

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #13
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
What I'd rather see are brackets to adapt to dynalite/etc bolt pattern. And maybe rotor hats.

I'd pay about $300 for the 4 pieces for the front.

Even though the xB/xA stuff Wilwood makes might fit and do the exact same thing...

AEM used(?) to make something identical for DSMs (relocate OEM caliper + big discs). It was about $600 for the fronts.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yeah, more leverage to stop the car better...my point was that there is a certain point where its no longer about the brakes ability to slow car as much as it is the contact surface of the tire to keep from loosing traction.

what i am saying is under normal driving conditions larger rotors are relatively pointless as you wont be running a track tire on your daily driven yaris...

at some point the brakes will be overkill because the tires grip will only do so much before you loose traction. my point was with 7" wide tires on a 17" rim, i can lock it up at any speed as quick as i want...so bigger rotors wont help that much other than give a bigger contact surface to disipate heat and provide more surface for better grip when the pads and rotor heat up under hard driving.

so, what i am saying is, on a daily driven car that doesnt see track time, the gains wouldnt be enough for me to spend that much cash...the factory brakes have more than enough to slow the car rapidly...while lines and pads ect would make a differance in the feel, i cant imagine why on a stock car thats mostly used to commute would notice a differance from larger rotors.

you can have a 15 inch rotor with 4 piston calipers but if your tire is 1" wide you wont stop any faster than you would with a 8 inch rotor...
Old 08-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Id only buy a Big Brake kit only from wilwood or brembo...if ur gonna invest $1000 or a little more u should just go with the best

Brembo BBK FTW!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
after reading, this makes sence.... I would buy at a reasonable price
Old 08-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #17
ism3t
YarVitz

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback
cheap=im in.
ism3t is offline   Reply With Quote