Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
coolant reservoir/upper radiator level

I recently flushed and filled my coolant following CT's guide which drain's the block, 'rad and the overfill reservoir. I also replaced the t-stat, gasket and radiator cap.

It's now been a week since I have topped it back up and every evening I have been topping up the radiator after the engine cools since I drive about 90km round trip out to school and back. The topping up is expected due to air being brought to the surface.

I will top the 'rad up with about 1/6 a cup of coolant and then drive for a while. When it cools the coolant is no longer at the top of the cap, it is only seen when the top 'rad hose is squeezed. I figured by now the air should all be out of the system.

The other day I noticed that the coolant level dropped a little as usual at the top of the 'rad but the overfill reservoir level increase about that same amount that was lost.

My question is this: Why is the coolant not being pulled form the reservoir back to the top of the 'rad cap when it cools? I understand that this will not cause any engine problems but it should be topping up to the cap.

I have checked for leaks and water pump issues and there are none, everything is working fine with the cooling/heating system and there are no leaks what so ever.

My theory is that there is air in the line going from the bottom of the reservoir up to the rad cap opening. I am going to try pushing the air out of the line and see if this stops the issue. It seems that the system is not loosing any coolant but it is not fully being pulled from the reservoir back into the top of the rad when the coolant cools.

If anyone has any experience solving this annoyance please let me know.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Typically the coolant isn't sitting at cap level when cold. As long as the hose is full, it is fine/normal for the coolant to not go all the way up the neck. It will typically only do so when the system is hot and you dangerously open the cap.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
tmontague

thanks for the input. I was thinking that since many other people have the same issue. I was also was wondering if maybe the new cap I put on the rad could've been defective. I still have the old one which I could always try if need be.

Tonight I'll be pulling out some coolant from the reservoir (which is above the full line even when cool) and putting it in the top of the rad to see if it stays there
Old 11-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
thanks for the input. I was thinking that since many other people have the same issue. I was also was wondering if maybe the new cap I put on the rad could've been defective. I still have the old one which I could always try if need be.

Tonight I'll be pulling out some coolant from the reservoir (which is above the full line even when cool) and putting it in the top of the rad to see if it stays there
If the cap was not sealing you would see streaks of dried coolant running down the neck.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
tmontague

The other night I tried squeezing the top rad tube until the coolant was at the top of the filler hole. I then would put the cap on and than release the hose I was squeezing as I figured this would create negative pressure and suck coolant from the reservoir. I could hear what sounded like coolant being sucked back into the top but when I opened the cap the coolant level was back to where it was before.

I think I'll just leave it for now as it isn't causing any problems and maybe over time is will normalise and coolant will be back at the top of the cap.