Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
alex22808

Drives: 04 3dr Yaris
Rear wiper motor gone

Hi there.

My rear wiper suddenly stopped working the other day. It got halfway across the rear windscreen and then just stopped and wouldn't move. It now makes a horrible whirring noise when ever the car is switched on, even if the wiper is supposed to be off.

I am 99% sure it is the motor as i opened up the boot and the sound is almost definetly coming from the motor. Interestingly, if i force it back down to its starting position then it sometimes will go halfway again and stop. But once it is at that halfway point i cant get it to budge and the horrible noise from the wiper motor comes back.

Couple of questions:
firstly, does it sound like it would be possible to fix the current motor given that at certain points it still moves the wiper?
Secondly, if it is not possible how would i go about getting a replacement motor and what price range are they in?

Many thanks

p.s sorry if this is badly worded, i am not that great at explaining things!
alex22808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you pull the cover off of the inside of the hatch you will have access to the rear wiper motor. Removing the nut that mounts the wiper arm allows you to then completley remove the rear wiper motor assembly. The cover for the gear box assembly can be removed giving you access to the gear train. You may just find that the shaft seal leaked and that you just need to regrease the gears.

In a worst case you should be able to find a replacement on ebay or from a local junkyard. I am not sure about the MK1 prices, but I have seen MK2 rear wiper motors sell over here for $50 - $100.