Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Iggy888

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback
Question: Would OEM Alloy Wheels make a good Winter Wheel?

While browsing the local Kijiji I came across this ad:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ236629550#

Would the OEM Alloy wheels make a good winter wheel?

If I got these wheels, I would have to take them to a tire shop to swap the winter tires from my steel wheels over to the new alloy wheels and dispose of the bald tires from the alloy wheels. Does anyone know how much this would cost? (I would need to factor that cost in before purchasing the wheels)

Does anyone know the weight of the OEM Alloy wheels?

If I went ahead with this, is there anything I should ask the seller about/look for before buying the wheels?

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
Iggy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Same response I posted on MI

Would they work? Yes, just fine.

Personally I would just save my cash and rock steelies over the winter. With the way our cars look most of the time during winter months, a nice set of wheels is a waste (IMO). Also, after a couple years the salt damage is gonna make them look like shite. The one that already has curb rash is gonna go real fast since the protective finish is compromised.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I stick with the steelies as well for the winter months.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Iggy888

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback
Update: I was able to negotiate the price down a fair bit but ultimately decided to pass on the wheels.
After pondering everybodys advice I came to the same conclusion that it would be better to rock the steelies for the winter.
They may not be pretty but they work well and give me something to look forward to, the spring when I can put the summer wheels back on.

Now, if I came across a 60/40 split seat rear seat. That would be harder to walk away from

A big thank you goes out to the MicroImage and Yarisworld community for the timely feedback.

BTW, If anyone else is interested in those wheels, the seller seems like a decent fellow from my correspondence with him.
Iggy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
darkMINI

Drives: 08 hatch
Aren't the OEM alloys 16"s, would be alot cheeper to go with some used Acura or Si wheels from craigslist or something. They are 15"x6" and the correct bolt pattern.
I'm using Acura Fat Five's for the winter with my Blizzacks, so I can keep the 17's in the garage for next spring.