Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #19
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5

Yeah, those $2 "investments" are a real hardship, ain't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheal View Post
nothing serious like up north where you buy scrapes and sprays as an investment, lol...
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #20
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Actually... When the front defroster is on you MUST use outside air, not recirculated (I know that has been covered). I crack open a side window just a bit also which helps a lot.

My 07 liftback has three knobs in the middle. Top is fan speed, outside of the fan speed knob is the fresh air / recirculate selector, center knob is the selector knob for where you want the air to come from, and bottom is your temp setting.

If you look closely at the center knob, it has a little graphic near the defrost selection telling you to use the fresh air selection for defrosting / defogging.

There is also a button in the center of the middle knob that allows you to turn on or off the AC compressor. The compressor does not have to run all the time.

I have a scan gauge connected which gives the actual engine temperature, not just the Cool / Hot light.

If it is cold out, it takes quite a bit of time for the engine to get over 150F or so ESPECIALLY if you have your heater fan set faster than 1. At a red light, if you turn the fan up to 3, you will actually start cooling down the engine. I don't know what happens to the temperature if you use 4. 3 scared me.

If you want your engine to warm up faster, leave the fan speed on 1 for a while. Not a lot of heat creating horsepower under the hood.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #21
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
Actually... When the front defroster is on you MUST use outside air, not recirculated (I know that has been covered). I crack open a side window just a bit also which helps a lot... ...If you look closely at the center knob, it has a little graphic near the defrost selection telling you to use the fresh air selection for defrosting / defogging...
There's nothing to keep you from running the defroster with recirculated air. The fresh / recirculate selector just flip-flops a flap mechanically and there's no interlock or anything to keep you from flopping it over to recirculate while you have it set on defrost. I know for sure because I was just a minute ago filp-flopping it back and forth while it was blowing in the defrost position. Air came out of the defrost ducts at the windshield, nomatter whatever the fresh / recirculate selector was doing.

And, the graphic is just that - it's a graphic. It's recommending to you what to do, just a recommendation...

Quote:
...There is also a button in the center of the middle knob that allows you to turn on or off the AC compressor. The compressor does not have to run all the time...
I was also making sure that the AC stays on when you have it blowing in either of the two defrost positions. It does not matter what you do with the AC pushbutton with the little *green* light - the AC stays on while defrosting. I had the hood up and I could hear the compressor turning on and off. It stays on in the defrost positions nomatter what you do with the AC pushbutton.

Sorry I had to disagree, just stating the facts.

edited-out the *blue* color from my mind's eye. That's one for you there, barryware hehehe...

Last edited by Racer X-8; 01-04-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #22
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
what spray??? sorry for being such a noob, yall. I don't really have to deal with this too often -- i do live in arkansas where it mostly is humid and hardly cold. but thanks for yalls help.

and with the scraping thing - im not being lazy, i just dont have anything to scrape it with. once again, i live in arkansas and every few days or so it will be a little chilly. nothing serious like up north where you buy scrapes and sprays as an investment, lol...
well, like i said i dont know much about ice as i dont get much of it.but if you pull in on the windshield wipers it sprays right? and that spray has anti-freeze in it and will help melt the ice on your windshield i believe. Also, if you do scrape, BE CAREFUL, my family never invested in a scraper...and i was scraping my moms window with a library card--it scratched the front windshield...a real big cut actually. so i say if its even a bit of a problem, get one and put it in the cubbies in the back underpanel area or something (cover it in a cloth though so it wont make noise) use the recirculate on the defrost fan mode, scrape a little, and use your sprayer, should make things go alot faster.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #23
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Oh, by the way, when I was out there feeling the air coming out the defrost vents, that air was pretty darn hot. The engine was at normal operating temp and it's about 60 degrees here in SC, right BMGYaris?

Do you know that you don't get any heat in that air until the engine's thermostat opens? That's right. The engine holds its coolant inside of the engine until the temperature of that coolant in the engine gets warm enough to open the thermostat. That opening of the termostat lets the hot coolant circulate out of the engine and through the radiator and the heater core. The heater core is like a small radiator - it exchanges heat into the air that's blowing through it. That air that's blowing through it - that the hot coolant exchanges heat into - in the heater core - is what you are trying to use to defrost, defog, and also heat-up the interior of your car. So remember, the heater core doesn't get any hot coolant to heat the air - until the engine's thermostat opens and allows the heated-up coolant to go there.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #24
barryware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X-8 View Post
There's nothing to keep you from running the defroster with recirculated air. The fresh / recirculate selector just flip-flops a flap mechanically and there's no interlock or anything to keep you from flopping it over to recirculate while you have it set on defrost. I know for sure because I was just a minute ago filp-flopping it back and forth while it was blowing in the defrost position. Air came out of the defrost ducts at the windshield, nomatter whatever the fresh / recirculate selector was doing.

And, the graphic is just that - it's a graphic. It's recommending to you what to do, just a recommendation...

I was also making sure that the AC stays on when you have it blowing in either of the two defrost positions. It does not matter what you do with the AC pushbutton with the little blue light - the AC stays on while defrosting. I had the hood up and I could hear the compressor turning on and off. It stays on in the defrost positions nomatter what you do with the AC pushbutton.

Sorry I had to disagree, just stating the facts.

I understand that you don't HAVE to do anything. You can run your defroster anyway you want. Next time it is cold and rainy or snowy out, set you heater for recirculate.. It will only take a couple of minutes for you windows to start fogging up. It has to do with dew point which is directly related to moisture content and temperature of the air. That's why they "recommend" to use the fresh air setting.

As far as the compresser goes... No, it does not run automatically when in defrost. That is a fact at least on mine. I have had to turn it on manually on the 50 degree days when it is raining out. My light is green, not blue. Maybe the blue light models are automatic. If it is cold enough out, it won't run even with the switch on. The low pressure side if the refrigeration circuits pressure is too low to allow the compressor to run. That's why the compressor "cycles". When the low pressure reaches a certain temp (pressure in this case as they are directly related), the compressor "cuts out". When the low pressure sides pressure rises to a given pressure, the compressor "cuts in".

So There!

My Yaris is red... Red is the fastest color!

Last edited by barryware; 01-04-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #25
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
I live in Michigan. Every morning I wake up with enough frost to completely cover all my windows. I recently got a a remote start, which is great, just turn your car on the 3rd increment, air from the front vent, full front/rear defrost on the largest warmth for about 3 minutes and your set. Before this I used some spray bottle which works awesome and cleans everything off but it's rather expansive for the good kind and not nearly as easy as pushing a button on a remote. As for fogging on the inside I was having some issues with that, mostly after I'd work out and drive my friends home, completely steam up the car. Just have the air come from the vent, doesn't really matter what temperature as long as you get the humidity out.
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Oh, by the way, when I was out there feeling the air coming out the defrost vents, that air was pretty darn hot. The engine was at normal operating temp and it's about 60 degrees here in SC, right BMGYaris?
WELL today yes. BUT a few weeks ago it was about 10 degrees when factoring in wind chill factor. We have had several freezing days, and then the next day will be over 50, sometimes approaching 70. Crazy...but on those freezing days i did have to deal with ice:P
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Quote:
... My light is green, not blue...
Aw crap! You got me there! Mine's green too (had to go out there to make sure). Shoot. When did they stop using blue? Oh! Well! . . . You win

About your AC compressor cycling, if I read your bantering correctly, you need to have it checked - seems like it needs a re-charge of freon.

Oh, and, yes, red IS the fastest color. It adds at least 10hp to your car. Oh, yeah!!!

Last edited by Racer X-8; 01-04-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #28
barryware

Quote:

About your AC compressor cycling, if I read your bantering correctly, you need to have it checked - seems like it needs a re-charge of freon.

Oh, and, yes, red IS the fastest color. It adds at least 10hp to your car. Oh, yeah!!!
Dude... I didn't mean to "banter". I would usually let it go. But..... You are wrong telling me I am wrong.

I am a certified, registered, licensed, type III universal refrigeration technician.

I may not know anything about refrigeration but I have seen it a couple of times on TV.

Automobile AC system do "cycle". The compressor turns on and off via low side pressure. Keeps the evaporator from freezing and the high pressure under control in the extremes of an automobile application.

AC in a car is exposed to conditions that a home AC system or your refrigerator will never see. They will cut out on high pressure too but only as a safety measure. It is the low side pressure switch that regulates the evaporator temperature.

Point is... That a cycling automobile AC application is completely normal and does not mean that the system needs freon. According to what I have seen on TV

With that said.... Lets not forget that I am also the guy that over filled the crankcase on my first oil change... Oops

Last edited by barryware; 01-05-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #29
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
dont need to buy window scrapers, library cards work wonderfuly, as do grocery store saver cards, and in a pinch, even those key fob swipe card things, a drivers license, credit card, or aany other sort of laminated card in your wallet.

over the years in wisconsin there have been many many frosty days out of the blue, and i didnt have a scraper in my car. but the scraper does come in handy when there is a quarter inch of ice on the car ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:25 AM   #30
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Just curious, when i bought my car they gave me an owners manual, did anyone read there's? tells you how to set things for defrost etc.. talks about using the AC etc....
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #31
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
All cars now days with A/C the A/C compressor cycles on an off when the defroster is on. When you select the heater the A/C compressor does not cycle off and on. They do this for several reasons, moisture control, circuulation, lubrication and keeping the system from freezing up complatly. And it keeps the compressors from siezing up from not being used in months of cold weather.
If you don't think this is the case, pop your hood, start the car and turn on the defrost and watch the A/C compressor. you will see it cycle on and off.
That's why using the defroster also causes you to use more fuel.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #32
barryware

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
Just curious, when i bought my car they gave me an owners manual, did anyone read there's? tells you how to set things for defrost etc.. talks about using the AC etc....
We don't need no stinking manuals
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #33
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
My question is why is this thread still alive?

If its foggy/frosted do one of the following:
- make sure your air is set to blow onto your windshield, use outside air, turn heat up (if its frosted) or leave it in the middle "room temp" if its foggy (as it will simply take in the air and not make it hotter or colder then the outside temp, which will balance the temp of the inside of the windshield with the outside of the windshield

- if its cold enough to frost your windows, you should be warming your car before you drive it anyways, and simply make sure that the above is setup to defrost your front windshield

- if your side mirrors are fogging/freezing up simply wipe/scrape them.... and if you don't want to that then get some-one (or yourself) to install a heat option (similar to ones used in under tank hear solutions - just waterproof it, or look on ebay/google for an after market kit)

- or use a combo of "anti-fog" for the inside (works pretty well - no more fogging) and rain-x on the outside (makes removing frost/ice 100x easier)

as far as not having a manual call/go to your dealer and say WTS mate! and they should order/give you one.

EDIT - if I sound like an ass; dont mean to, but oh well lifes to short to worry

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts

Last edited by vodkalush; 01-05-2007 at 11:25 AM.
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #34
Racheal

Drives: '07 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Racheal
okay, sorry guys! i didn't read my manual!

But thanks though. It amazes me how you guys know so much about cars and im like "duhhh" - LOL.

Yesterday when i left work, my car was a little foggy from being cold all day in the parking deck (plus it rained all day) so i tried the outside air and within seconds things were cleared! I had it on inside air before and i apologize, i didn't think it would make a difference so i never tried it. Even my boyfriend told me im car dumb :(

But seriously, thanks everyone for helping me out!
I LOVE YALL!

oh. and i thought BLACK was the fastest color? ;)
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #35
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Quote:
...oh. and i thought BLACK was the fastest color? ;)
No, RED is the fastest color, BLACK is the HOTTEST color. It only adds 6hp, but it's great in the wintertime. barryware can tell you how it affects the AC compressor... ROFL!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #36
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
Try using the outside air
if I switch it to inside air my windows fog up FAST, and I have to keep it on defrost all the time.
i agree. i've driven in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Northwest New York (Lake Effect Snow!). in the winter in particular i've always driven with the external air
on to avoid the fogging. it's recycled 2x, once when u breathe it and then when your car runs it through again. u know how u can blow on glass and create a moment of fog? that's what you're breathing into the re-circulated air. if your heater can't effectively heat outside air, u have a problem with Toyota imo.

every car i've driven requires that u keep the defrost on in colder climates.

every car i've ever driven (without heated mirrors) requires that i scrape the frost off of the mirrors if i expect to use them in a cold climate. even then there have been situations in which the ice/snow is thick enough where the the heated mirror melts the ice making contact with the mirror and the shell of ice is still blocking the view of the mirror.

Arkansas! Just "north" enough to throw you southern drivers off when the cold comes! ;) I've got in-laws in Oklahoma and Arkansas and just came back from the holidays over there.

edit: just read the whole thread, sorry to be redundant! :D

Last edited by mutatio; 01-05-2007 at 01:33 PM.
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote