Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
ATB

Drives: Yaris
Injector stuck open, replaced still stuck open.

Hello, I've been trying to figure this out for months now, but I've had zero luck and I've had the car to shops even they couldn't solve it.

Car is a 1999 Yaris manual transmission.
Combi-coupe: Yaris CP10
1,0 68hk,
1SZFE

It started before Christmas, the car would suddenly run poorly and shaking at low rpms, very strong fuel smell. It would last for a short while and it wen't away. This happened a few times before becoming a permanent problem. (It ran great and I stalled it by accident) It was always one cylinder that was soaked in petrol every time the problem occurred and it was dripping petrol out the exhaust pipe. I swapped injectors and coils around but the problem stayed on the same cylinder. I read the codes but I can't remember the codes by number but it was missfire on 2-3 cylinders and ignition circuit error. I replaced plugs and it ran good for a short while.

But as I ran out of options of what to do I sen't it to my closest shop. They replaced all 4 injectors without any improvement and now they are telling me that a new ECU is in order. Does anyone have any ideas? I wan't to try every option before spending 2000$ on a new ECU and labour on a car I paid 2000$ for
ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
get a used computer from an auto recycler and swap it yourself.

if injector 1 is sticking open it sounds like the computer has an internal problem with cyl 1 injector. The computer grounds the injector to make it open.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
ATB

Hello Blue and thank you for your quick reply! I bought a used low mileage computer for cheap but the car won't even try to start with it, and when I read the code it gives me miss matched VIN number. I believe it has to reprogrammed by a dealer :/
Old 03-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I can't say I heard of that before. Do you have immobilizer keys?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Typically with modern cars you can't just swap ECUs without programming (dealer). In terms of diagnoses: If you have swapped injectors and the problem stays in the same cylinder, that injector is getting grounded for some reason. So long as the wire leading from the injector to ECU isn't grounded, it's going to be internal to the ECU.

You could open up the ECU and see if someone could replace that cylinder's injector driver. The solder connections are usually large enough to work with. The driver could still be commanded to turn on by something else though; it's not common for drivers to fail closed, usually they burn up and the injectors will not operate at all.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
ATB

I have a key without any buttons just a regular key, but it might have a chip in it. I've had the engine harness open to inspect the wires and I couldn't find any bare copper that I could visually see. I've also had the ECU open and the card look like new, no burned spots or visual wear. I am very familiar with a soldering iron but I don't know what I would swap between the ECU boards though. I called two Toyo dealers and the first said it was impossible to reprogram without the master key to the used ECU I bought and that I was out of luck. The second dealer said they might be able to do it so I don't really know what to do.

There is also not possible to get a new ECU from Toyota as they are all sold out...
Old 03-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

The chip keys will be fatter than normal keys.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB View Post
I have a key without any buttons just a regular key, but it might have a chip in it. I've had the engine harness open to inspect the wires and I couldn't find any bare copper that I could visually see. I've also had the ECU open and the card look like new, no burned spots or visual wear. I am very familiar with a soldering iron but I don't know what I would swap between the ECU boards though. I called two Toyo dealers and the first said it was impossible to reprogram without the master key to the used ECU I bought and that I was out of luck. The second dealer said they might be able to do it so I don't really know what to do.

There is also not possible to get a new ECU from Toyota as they are all sold out...
The injectors are fired by large FETs within the ECM. I only have 2nd gen ones on hand, so I can't verify the layout of your 1st gen, but if you can take some high resolution pictures of the inside of the ECM I can point you to which parts it might be and then if you have a multimeter we can figure out which one specifically it is by working our way back from the connector pin for that injector.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
...if you can take some high resolution pictures of the inside of the ECM I can point you to which parts it might be and then if you have a multimeter we can figure out which one specifically it is by working our way back from the connector pin for that injector.
I was going to offer that as well, but CTScott is far more knowledgeable in this area than I. I'm curious what failed though; I've not seen a driver circuit short to ground before.

Cheers.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
I was going to offer that as well, but CTScott is far more knowledgeable in this area than I. I'm curious what failed though; I've not seen a driver circuit short to ground before.

Cheers.
FETs failing closed is actually fairly common. They can fail either way.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #11
CoryM

Quote:
FETs failing closed is actually fairly common. They can fail either way.
Good to know. I guess when I'm looking at them, it's usually because someone has done something stupid and melted it

Cheers.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
ATB

I will get a picture up tomorrow!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #13
ATB

Old 03-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Perfect - The Sanken 811600-42790 is a linear solenoid driver IC. Change that puppy and you should be good to go.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #15
ATB

Yes, but can the dealer replace it with a used one? I got a used one but no master key for it.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yes, but can the dealer replace it with a used one? I got a used one but no master key for it.
Possibly. My understanding was that without the master key that the ECM was worthless, but others who work for Toyota have said that the dealers have access to a master reset method from Toyota corporate. I would ask your dealer.

If you have a used one, I would just swap that part. Being a through-hole part it would be very easy to replace.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:

This is what I did for a living....repairing these things under a microscope.

But Im out to pasture now.

Its tricky repairing these commercial boards I did mostly military and NASA boards which can take the heat. This kind of board is easy to burn up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See the quad flatpack fine pitch number on the right? My specialty. I could r and r ten of those an hour or more...
Old 03-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #18
ATB

Quote:
Possibly. My understanding was that without the master key that the ECM was worthless, but others who work for Toyota have said that the dealers have access to a master reset method from Toyota corporate. I would ask your dealer.

If you have a used one, I would just swap that part. Being a through-hole part it would be very easy to replace.
Okay so change out that chip soldier out and soldier in the new one? Seems very straight forward to me

Edit: Swapped out the two chips, no difference at all.

Last edited by ATB; 03-12-2016 at 10:12 AM.