Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #37
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If it were my bad pump Id be at the breakers getting a used one out of a low mileage car pronto.

A call/visit to a car parts store and a consultation with the guy with the catalogues should quickly determine which pumps are common to what cars. Or ask Toyota.

I found out the MAF sensor is common to my sons 2000 ECHO and my 2009 Yaris when his CEL went on for a year and we couldn't fix it. A swap of the sensors and his code went away and mine threw a code. So at least we KNEW what the problem was.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #38
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
A friend borrowed me a knockoff of the Denso pump. It looks almost the same but the smaller holes inner diameter is smaller, I don't know how this will influence anything? It came out of a Hilux. I have already sourced a proper pump with the whole assembly, used for about $60. I can have this China pump for $9.. how much do I love my car?

But seriously, If this cheapy pump solves my problem I know that buying the proper thing will not be a waste. I spoke to a mechanic at Toyota and he reckons that because I drive my car and my fuel levels are generally low (2 Bars mostly) that my pump wasn't getting adequate cooling from the fuel AND that the pump would suck up all the gunk lying at the bottom of the tank. Could this have caused the life of my pump to be shortened? It's just a theory..

Anyhow, I'm gonna embark on my quest this weekend again and will let you guys know what I find. It's not the most fun topic but I sense the end is near **

20160121_231027.jpg

20160121_231218.jpg

Sadly the pump did not fit my GT-R..
end.jpg
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #39
bronsin

My vote is for the used pump. No China pump for me!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #40
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
My vote is for the used pump. No China pump for me!
Me too. 60 bucks for a used pump isn't bad at all.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #41
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMantle View Post
A friend borrowed me a knockoff of the Denso pump. It looks almost the same but the smaller holes inner diameter is smaller, I don't know how this will influence anything? It came out of a Hilux. I have already sourced a proper pump with the whole assembly, used for about $60. I can have this China pump for $9.. how much do I love my car?

But seriously, If this cheapy pump solves my problem I know that buying the proper thing will not be a waste. I spoke to a mechanic at Toyota and he reckons that because I drive my car and my fuel levels are generally low (2 Bars mostly) that my pump wasn't getting adequate cooling from the fuel AND that the pump would suck up all the gunk lying at the bottom of the tank. Could this have caused the life of my pump to be shortened? It's just a theory..

Anyhow, I'm gonna embark on my quest this weekend again and will let you guys know what I find. It's not the most fun topic but I sense the end is near **

Attachment 56434

Attachment 56435

Sadly the pump did not fit my GT-R..
Attachment 56436

That pump would be fine. The small hole just feeds a recirculating device that keeps the crud moving around in the tank. Now that you know how to get in there, if the Chinese pump fails you can easily replace it again.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #42
bronsin

Re driving around on an almost empty tank.

I agree with your mechanic this is not wise for the reasons he states. Also a near empty tank is going to condense water on the bare metal surfaces...not good!

I hope you are able to fill the tank from now on!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #43
MedMantle

My phone was sadly stolen yesterday so I cannot take photos, but, I have found something yo'...

Coming back from work today my pump made its usual noise, very intermittently. I decided to just 'try' the China pump but upon removing the OEM one I found the o-ring was completely stuffed up somehow. It wasn't like this a few days ago when I first took it out which makes me wonder.. Maybe that is why it ran perfectly for 2 days before the noise returned? Did I install it wrong? I feel if I replace the o-ring and reinstall the OEM pump my problem will disappear! Apparently with a torn o-ring the pump sucks in air which can cause a noise. Do our pumps work like that?

Thanks guys, I will make a plan tomorrow to get an o-ring at Autozone. Will let you know how things go :D

EDIT: Online they reckon I must lube the orifice where the o-ring goes with petroleum jelly? Vaseline??
Old 01-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #44
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMantle View Post
My phone was sadly stolen yesterday so I cannot take photos, but, I have found something yo'...

Coming back from work today my pump made its usual noise, very intermittently. I decided to just 'try' the China pump but upon removing the OEM one I found the o-ring was completely stuffed up somehow. It wasn't like this a few days ago when I first took it out which makes me wonder.. Maybe that is why it ran perfectly for 2 days before the noise returned? Did I install it wrong? I feel if I replace the o-ring and reinstall the OEM pump my problem will disappear! Apparently with a torn o-ring the pump sucks in air which can cause a noise. Do our pumps work like that?

Thanks guys, I will make a plan tomorrow to get an o-ring at Autozone. Will let you know how things go :D

EDIT: Online they reckon I must lube the orifice where the o-ring goes with petroleum jelly? Vaseline??
You are supposed to lube the o-ring with gasoline when installing it.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:42 AM   #45
MedMantle

My mistake :( I'm gonna get the o-ring replaced today and install it properly and hope for the best. The pump still works, but I've decided to push through for a bit and will rather buy the used Denso later on **

I found a good read on the internet for anyone that is interested in how the pump works and how failure can occur : HOW A FUEL PUMP WORKS

My situation matches all the requirements for busting the pump. I know my sister completely ran out of fuel a few times while borrowing my car and it all just makes sense on how this can ruin my day haha

I have one more question guys, I do remove the EFI Fuse and crank the car a few times, but I still have quite a lot of fuel running out that pipe on the top when I remove it, is this avoidable? Thank you **
Old 06-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #46
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
I have this same fuel pump hum in my 2007 lb. It only makes the hum at a fully warm idle. If i even tap the gas so it goes up to 900 rpm or so, the humming stops until it settles around 600 rpm again. I have a new cheaper pump ordered but it will take a month to get here. No other shipping options were available. I drive about 1000 kms a week. Should my pump last the remaining 4-5000 kms that i will need it for?
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote