Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
jorizk

Drives: Yaris 2006 1.5 L Sedan
Question Airbag system

Hello dudes:)
How are you doing ?

I recently crashed my 2006 Yaris sedan into a tree and the airbags opened. One guy at the company told me that he thinks that if the airbags pop out, you have to replace them alongside the seatbelt system and the airbag control module and it would cost approx about 3500 US $ for the whole thing.
I'm really confused, I mean why would you wanna replace the control chip for the airbag also. If someone can explain it a little better than that guy did I would appreciate it :)

Thanks peeps !
jorizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The SRS ECU can be reset, but if you go through a Toyota dealer they will only replace it (I think it is kind of a liability thing).

The seatbelts have a mechanism that explosively tightens them to hold you against the seat while you are getting smacked in the nose by the airbag. The seat belt(s) will need to be replaced along with the airbag(s). If just the driver's side popped then you just have to replace the seatbelt and airbag on that side.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
jorizk

Drives: Yaris 2006 1.5 L Sedan
Oh then it's basically a liability matter.
Okay now I have a question. I was wearing my seat belt. My airbag popped. The passenger seat was empty, and the passenger airbag also popped. Was it some kind of fault in the car, or does the yaris passenger airbag always pop out even with no weight or seat belt on the passenger's seat?
jorizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorizk View Post
Oh then it's basically a liability matter.
Okay now I have a question. I was wearing my seat belt. My airbag popped. The passenger seat was empty, and the passenger airbag also popped. Was it some kind of fault in the car, or does the yaris passenger airbag always pop out even with no weight or seat belt on the passenger's seat?
From my understanding from the service manual, the passenger airbag should only pop if there is enough weight on the seat. I believe it will pop with seat belt not fastened, but only one of the two squibs will pop in that case.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote