Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
drilled/slotted rotors

Here's an eBay auction:

http://tinyurl.com/252ag3

Any thoughts? These guys are very close to me, and the price is lower than having my stock rotors drilled and slotted (plus I'd have my stock ones as a spare set).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
i bought a pair from them.... there sitting in my garage. came with pads to.. ill sell them to u.. drilled/sloted rotors (pair) and brake pads... $175 + shipping or B/o

2 Front R1 Concepts' E-Line Performance Brake Rotors

4 Front R1 Concepts' Premium Semi-Metallic Brake Pads

^those are the pics from the auction ill get pics of the oens i got in my garage later today
Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
^ will they fit the Australian Model Yaris?(Cause I know that the US rotors for the Aust camry wont fit)
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 AM   #4
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
i dont know the picture that i posted is from when i bought them im going to take a pic later when i wake up
Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
The don't do anything or improve braking performance at all.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
but they do..! They look COOL.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
(largeorangefont:The don't do anything or improve braking performance at all.)

well, they disipate heat better, so they do something. you ever heard the expression "brake fade"? thats when the pads and rotors get too hot and stop gripping as well. this ussually only happens if you are doing alot of downhill or aggresive driving. Also, if they are good pads, you will notice better performance, as aftermarket pads can often grip better.

now, the downside to slotted and drilled rotors (especially slotted), is that they tend to crack much easier than regular rotors. so, do they disipate heat better and look "cooler"? heck yeah! do they last as long as conventional rotors? heck no!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
-m-

Drives: stock for now
Pretty sure its the drilled rotors that are more prone to cracking

Now that being said KVR has stopped producing regular slotted rotors in favour of "J-slotted" rotors. Some time ago they were selling off all the old stock of slotted rotors (1/2 price IIRC) to make way for the J-slotted ones.
-m- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
The don't do anything or improve braking performance at all.
I think you might have just lost a wink of credibility with that statement.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderkitten View Post
I think you might have just lost a wink of credibility with that statement.
You aren't running exotic pad compounds that might benefit from drilling or slots. We are talking about a Yaris. On street or agressive street/track pads you want as much rotor and pad contact as possible. You will get 0 braking performance increases from drilled/slotted rotors on anything less than a full race pad, and you may not even see any difference in that application.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
(largeorangefont:The don't do anything or improve braking performance at all.)

well, they disipate heat better, so they do something. you ever heard the expression "brake fade"? thats when the pads and rotors get too hot and stop gripping as well. this ussually only happens if you are doing alot of downhill or aggresive driving. Also, if they are good pads, you will notice better performance, as aftermarket pads can often grip better.

now, the downside to slotted and drilled rotors (especially slotted), is that they tend to crack much easier than regular rotors. so, do they disipate heat better and look "cooler"? heck yeah! do they last as long as conventional rotors? heck no!
We arent running racing pads here. We are talking street/agressive street pads. You want as much surface area as possible.

Slotted rotors do not dissapate heat any better. Drilling does not help either. Brake rotors cool from the vanes in the center, not from the drilled disk surface.

In both cases you are taking away surface area that can be used to stop the vehicle.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #12
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
but they do..! They look COOL.
Agreed.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If slotting and drilling doesn't help to dissipate heat, why do track cars have slotted and drilled rotors? It cannot be for the look.

I agree that there is not additional stopping power, but I think you're wrong about brake fade and heat dissipation.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
I haven't seen a real track car yet that had drilled rotors (not recently, at least). I've seen a lot of Porsches that had ventilated rotors, but the holes were cast in so the rotor didn't weaken as much. Porsche claims they cast holes into their rotors only to dissipate steam in wet-braking conditions. The only other reason to drill or ventilate rotors would be to remove weight, but by the time you got any significant savings you would have compromised your braking and rotor integrity too much to be worthwhile.

Rotors are slotted to remove debris from the pad surface. Brake dust, dirt, road debris, etc. I've heard a lot of people claim it increases pad "bite", but most of the time it was the same people claiming drilling rotors made you stop faster....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
The heat dissipation would be a good thing. I like to drive 'spiritedly' through the locan mountain passes, and have often (read: every weekend) had the rotors glowing red from the heat, not to mention the gradual loss in stopping power associated with fade. Might have to get under the car and rig up some brake ducting hose from the foglamp blanking plates... Taking it to the track soon (less than a month)...

drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #16
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
If slotting and drilling doesn't help to dissipate heat, why do track cars have slotted and drilled rotors? It cannot be for the look.

I agree that there is not additional stopping power, but I think you're wrong about brake fade and heat dissipation.
Well since your Yaris is a track car, go ahead and add them.

You think full race cars run cast iron rotors and street pads? No they run carbon or ceramic rotors and exotic pads for said rotors. When your rotors are glowing like in my avatar maybe you consider drilling.

Like I said, On a street car with agressive street pads, slotted and drilled rotors are USELESS. They look cool but you won't see any differences. The money is better spent on better pads, fluid and SS lines.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #17
-m-

Drives: stock for now
The drilled and slotted rotors aren't done that way to only dissipate heat. The slotting/drilling also gives the gases created from the pads under high heat (or at another extreme rain water on the rotor) a place to escape rather than trying to push the pad away from the rotor. I agree though...on a street driven vehicle your not going to net any real benefit. Crossdrilling will, however, lose you a little rotating weight. Probably not enough for you to notice...but I just thought i would put that in there
-m- is offline   Reply With Quote