Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #55
wolfywho

Drives: 2011 3-Door Liftback
If I lift up the front from the center lift point using a floor jack, and I want to put the front of the car on jack stands, where would I place the jack stands? Are there front side lift points, like the rear side lift points? Thanks!
wolfywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #56
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfywho View Post
If I lift up the front from the center lift point using a floor jack, and I want to put the front of the car on jack stands, where would I place the jack stands? Are there front side lift points, like the rear side lift points? Thanks!
You would have to put the jack stands where the jack points are on the pinch seam behind the front wheels.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #57
wolfywho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You would have to put the jack stands where the jack points are on the pinch seam behind the front wheels.
Thanks CT. Are those pinch seams pretty strong? Almost seems like you could bend those with the weight of the car sitting on them.

-wolfy
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #58
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks CT. Are those pinch seams pretty strong? Almost seems like you could bend those with the weight of the car sitting on them.

-wolfy
They are actually meant to be supported by a slit block, like the top of the OEM jack, as opposed to being supported by the edge. Prior to getting my lift I would lift the car from the center point and use my old jack stands under the seams. My jack stands have narrow tops, so I couldn't use the slit hockey pucks that I use when jacking at the seams. There is a bit of paint chipping on my seams from my stands, but no signs of deformation. With my lift, I actually lift it by the four pinch seams, but my lift has 6x6 pads with 1/4" thick rubber, so the pressure is well distributed.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #59
wolfywho

Hockey pucks, that's interesting. Regular hockey pucks from the sporting goods store, with slits that you cut in yourself? Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #60
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hockey pucks, that's interesting. Regular hockey pucks from the sporting goods store, with slits that you cut in yourself? Thanks again!
Exactly. I got the idea a couple of years ago from someone else on here. I bought a 10 pack at Sports Authority and ran them through the table saw, making a slit about 1/4" wide by 1/2" deep. After a while they start to crack at the bottom of the slit, so the next time around I would probably use the router table instead and make the cut rounded at the bottom.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #61
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
My old, heavy floor jack lifts both front and back tires when positioned under the rear jacking point. Things a back-breaker to carry but does the job just fine.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #62
wolfywho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Exactly. I got the idea a couple of years ago from someone else on here. I bought a 10 pack at Sports Authority and ran them through the table saw, making a slit about 1/4" wide by 1/2" deep. After a while they start to crack at the bottom of the slit, so the next time around I would probably use the router table instead and make the cut rounded at the bottom.

Great tip! Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to get those to stick to my jackstands. =) Will definitely use that technique with my floor jack right away. The puck will fit nicely into the top of that.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #63
wolfywho

A couple of these just might just do the trick... A hockey puck should fit nicely on the top of that.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-s...ack-99953.html

or these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...and-95952.html
Old 10-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #64
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Tire rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3misiS View Post
WHy dont you ask for help at a tire place and put the car on the lift, my dealer does it free...

It saves a lot of frustration....
its quicker.
I went from the Toyota dealer when I picked up my Yaris and purchased a tire warranty from Discount Tire. I paid for itself the first time I ran over steel through the side wall. Discount has been balancing and rotating them for free for four years now. I've got 58,000 on the BridgeStones and wear bars are showing on all four. The only time they went out of balance/round badly was when my son was learning to drive. They stay round and in balance longer at 74 MPH than they do at 55 MPH. Go figure.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #65
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
I went from the Toyota dealer when I picked up my Yaris and purchased a tire warranty from Discount Tire. I paid for itself the first time I ran over steel through the side wall. Discount has been balancing and rotating them for free for four years now. I've got 58,000 on the BridgeStones and wear bars are showing on all four. The only time they went out of balance/round badly was when my son was learning to drive. They stay round and in balance longer at 74 MPH than they do at 55 MPH. Go figure.
The speed and balance thingy sounds........strange?
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #66
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I've read that the suspension needs to be loaded when changing struts or other suspension work. Is there any safe place to place jack stands that loads the suspension, or do you just need ramps for that?

Edit: My secondary motive for this question is that jack stands at their normal positions are in the way of the belly pan I'm installing.

Last edited by spookybathtub; 02-01-2015 at 05:04 PM.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote