Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
This kind of nonchalant attitude towards deadly toys would be scary enough, if not surprising, in our US friends, but in BC??? Hell, I live in BC. I knew there were guns around, but I assumed that they were mostly in the hands of the drug dealers. I don't think many drug dealers drive Yarises - the other dealers would laugh at them.
But see that is where the problem lies. Viewing these handguns as "toys". They are merely "tools". Yes, they are dangerous, VERY; but being blind to them is worse. Because it is not the drug dealers you should be afraid of, its the junkie who needs to get his next fix. He'll pull whatever "tool" he'll have on hand to TAKE the funds he needs in order to achieve his goal. Do you think mace will do the trick as a deterrent? Eh...you could try. I'd rather level the playing field.

But don't get me wrong. I rely on these guns as a LAST resort. The bastard who breaks into my home while I sleep will have my german shepherd, house alarm, and 911 as his LAST WARNINGS. If he still proceeds to my bedroom, well then I have no choice but to stand my ground. Its called the Castle Doctrine and this is why many people love Texas!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
This kind of nonchalant attitude towards deadly toys would be scary enough, if not surprising, in our US friends, but in BC??? Hell, I live in BC. I knew there were guns around, but I assumed that they were mostly in the hands of the drug dealers. I don't think many drug dealers drive Yarises - the other dealers would laugh at them.
Oh Lord, we aren't going to get into anti-gun rants now, are we?

Every year more people are killed by cars than guns, but that doesn't stop you from driving your "deadly toy" does it?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #21
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
But see that is where the problem lies. Viewing these handguns as "toys". They are merely "tools". Yes, they are dangerous, VERY; but being blind to them is worse. Because it is not the drug dealers you should be afraid of, its the junkie who needs to get his next fix. He'll pull whatever "tool" he'll have on hand to TAKE the funds he needs in order to achieve his goal. Do you think mace will do the trick as a deterrent? Eh...you could try. I'd rather level the playing field.

But don't get me wrong. I rely on these guns as a LAST resort. The bastard who breaks into my home while I sleep will have my german shepherd, house alarm, and 911 as his LAST WARNINGS. If he still proceeds to my bedroom, well then I have no choice but to stand my ground. Its called the Castle Doctrine and this is why many people love Texas!

God Bless Texas!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #22
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
BangBang Lucky Luke!

Texas always fascinated me with the freedom to carry
Come on down! Texas is a friendly place to be.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #23
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Oh Lord, we aren't going to get into anti-gun rants now, are we?

Every year more people are killed by cars than guns, but that doesn't stop you from driving your "deadly toy" does it?
Where to begin? Let's just say I think that firearms like pistols and assault rifles do not make the world a better place. Given an opportunity, I'd vote for the kind of gun laws Japan has (look it up.)

As for more people dying in cars every year, who says? And to the extent that it may be true, perhaps it's due to this ---> <--- attitude. Some folks besides the gun owners need re-education.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #24
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

Drives: Scion xD
Send a message via AIM to Zefoxe
Must be nice to live in your world where guns are unneccesary and car accidents are all caused by street racers.

Coming 2010: Toyota iSt CK edition (CooperKiller) stay tuned
Zefoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #25
texkid

Quote:
Where to begin? Let's just say I think that firearms like pistols and assault rifles do not make the world a better place. Given an opportunity, I'd vote for the kind of gun laws Japan has (look it up.)
I am not too sure, but aren't the laws similar to those of Australia and most of Europe? Basically as a civilian you can't own a handgun (meaning revolver or semi-auto pistol) unless you're a police officer or in the military. You can only own an air pistol or air rifle. Then you can own a long-gun for sport shooting ONLY.

Well, here's the problem with that:
- It only applies to people that OBEY the LAW.
- People who DON'T follow the law will still find a way to carry a firearm or find use of a kitchen knife or a really heavy monkey wrench.

Are you still following me? Great, here's the party pooper. That leaves the people that OBEY the law without a means to DEFEND themselves besides mace, rocks, broom sticks, and oh yeah, AIR RIFLES! The crime rate is lower in Japan and the likes, I give you that, but gun crimes still happen whether you believe it or not. And anyone is fair game.

Now I don't mind living in Japan or Australia since (and I am assuming) their crime rate is lower than that of USA. But then again, I enjoy the freedom of having the dilemma of choosing between SIG or GLOCK? Steel frame or polymer? Hmmm....
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #26
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

You won't ever see me visiting Texas. Not my kind of place, no offence meant.

The original poster lives where I live, though, in British Columbia, Canada, and that makes him my problem, at least potentially.

His arsenal (#13 in this thread) would no doubt make him one of the "good 'ol' boys" in Texas, but in BC it makes him a public danger, in my opinion. All of those guns are at least restricted if not outright prohibited in this jurisdiction.

The shotgun looks more like a military weapon than something you shoot ducks with. I doubt that anyone could even get a license for that one or the hand cannon. The smaller pistols should be possible to license for someone with a good reason for owning one. I'd be surprised if any of them are licensed, though.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #27
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
shoot um all! bang bang.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #28
texkid

Quote:
You won't ever see me visiting Texas. Not my kind of place, no offence meant.
None taken. In fact, I would still treat to a nice BBQ. Thats just how we roll down here in the South.

Quote:
The original poster lives where I live, though, in British Columbia, Canada, and that makes him my problem, at least potentially.

His arsenal (#13 in this thread) would no doubt make him one of the "good 'ol' boys" in Texas, but in BC it makes him a public danger, in my opinion. All of those guns are at least restricted if not outright prohibited in this jurisdiction.

The shotgun looks more like a military weapon than something you shoot ducks with. I doubt that anyone could even get a license for that one or the hand cannon. The smaller pistols should be possible to license for someone with a good reason for owning one. I'd be surprised if any of them are licensed, though.
Not very familiar with Canadian laws but I can say that the shotgun is just a shotgun with a pistol grip; and a pistol grip is just an accessory which won't make the shotgun any more lethal or military. REAL military weapons are fully-automatic rifles. Which are the same weapons available to the masses but in Semi-Automatic.

It gets more interesting. The Beretta 92 is fine 9mm pistol. If made in the USA with their "dust-resistant" magazines in then becomes the "M9" which is used by our military.

My point? The words "military" and "assault rifle" and other "bad words" should be used to their respective places.

I understand that you don't want firearms. All I am saying is just take a day with a local gun range or firearms instructor and become more knowledgeable about what is what.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #29
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
None taken. In fact, I would still treat to a nice BBQ. Thats just how we roll down here in the South.

Not very familiar with Canadian laws but I can say that the shotgun is just a shotgun with a pistol grip; and a pistol grip is just an accessory which won't make the shotgun any more lethal or military. REAL military weapons are fully-automatic rifles. Which are the same weapons available to the masses but in Semi-Automatic.

It gets more interesting. The Beretta 92 is fine 9mm pistol. If made in the USA with their "dust-resistant" magazines in then becomes the "M9" which is used by our military.

My point? The words "military" and "assault rifle" and other "bad words" should be used to their respective places.

I understand that you don't want firearms. All I am saying is just take a day with a local gun range or firearms instructor and become more knowledgeable about what is what.
Thanks for the balanced and courteous reply. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about the general desirability of going around armed - maybe we should just stick to discussing cars.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #30
MadMax

Quote:
His arsenal (#13 in this thread) would no doubt make him one of the "good 'ol' boys" in Texas, but in BC it makes him a public danger, in my opinion.
I first thought you were talking about me, but I noticed #13 was the OP's pic of his weapons. Four handguns and a single shotgun are considered an "arsenal" in BC? Holy cow, I guess I would be considered a one-man militia!

Hell, in Texas, Four handguns and a shotgun is what we call a "start!" You don't reach "arsenal" status until you at least have a half dozen assault rifles and a grenade launcher or two!

But as Texkid noted, everyone is always welcomed in Texas! If you ever change your mind and head down this way, I would be more than happy to take you out to the range and let you try out some of my "arsenal." I take people who have never fired a weapon in their lives out all the time, and the vast majority enjoy it! As a matter of fact, you wouldn't be the first Canadian I've taken shooting for the first time.

This is by no means an attempt to change your mind about weapons possession, but as Texkid mentioned you would have a better understanding of the other side of the issue if you had a chance to handle a few firearms firsthand. The offer is there...

Cheers! M2
Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #31
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Lest we forget:
The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states:
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #32
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
Lest we forget:
The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states:
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms
watch out now, the fbi is gonna shut us down... we are discussing the constitution...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #33
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I first thought you were talking about me, but I noticed #13 was the OP's pic of his weapons. Four handguns and a single shotgun are considered an "arsenal" in BC? Holy cow, I guess I would be considered a one-man militia!

Hell, in Texas, Four handguns and a shotgun is what we call a "start!" You don't reach "arsenal" status until you at least have a half dozen assault rifles and a grenade launcher or two!

But as Texkid noted, everyone is always welcomed in Texas! If you ever change your mind and head down this way, I would be more than happy to take you out to the range and let you try out some of my "arsenal." I take people who have never fired a weapon in their lives out all the time, and the vast majority enjoy it! As a matter of fact, you wouldn't be the first Canadian I've taken shooting for the first time.

This is by no means an attempt to change your mind about weapons possession, but as Texkid mentioned you would have a better understanding of the other side of the issue if you had a chance to handle a few firearms firsthand. The offer is there...

Cheers! M2
Thanks for the offer, but I have done a little range shooting years ago. I even fired a pistol once. I have never been interested in owning a gun, though.

Around here there is no "home-grown" gun culture - just some "me too" spillover from the big neighbour to the south. There are lots of murders here in the Vancouver area (around 50 a year on average, population 2 million+) but that's mostly ethnic gangsters killing each other over drug turf.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #34
texkid

Quote:
ohhhh pick me pick me

i love sport marksmanship although i havent fired a weapon since i came to Canada, but would love to start again...got any long range precision weapons?
I have a Mossberg 100ATR in 30-06. Not something a Marine sniper would use but its not too shabby at 300 yards with the right scope. One of father-in-law's MANY rifles is a Browning Safari 30-06 with a Leupold scope. It is a true beauty. His "beater" is a M1 Garand. That is an awesome rifle. I can hit a penny at 50 yards with no scope on that shoulder cannon (considering that I am still new to rifles). Just watch where put your thumb when you reload!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #35
MadMax

Quote:
ohhhh pick me pick me

i love sport marksmanship although i havent fired a weapon since i came to Canada, but would love to start again...got any long range precision weapons?
Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me keep this baby!!

But I am off in a couple of hours to meet someone about a "bubba-ized" SKS that I've been wanting. Not a sniper rifle but 7.62x39 can do some damage!

Either way, c'mon down, I am sure we'll find some nice weaponry that you'll enjoy shooting! And Ted Nugent has a ranch a few hours north of here...maybe we can hook up with Uncle Ted and have some real fun!

Cheers! M2
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #36
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Apparently, if you visit China and make the right contacts with the local Red Army organization, you can have a go with any of their weaponry you like- live ammo and everything. Not cheap.

Even less cheap, you can fly a MiG-29 trainer in Russia or an old English Electric Lightning (even faster) in South Africa.

Fun and games for the seriously rich.