Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
Eren_13

Drives: Yaris SR '12
HIDs faulty?

Hey everyone,

I've had HIDs on for about 3 month now and last week I noticed the light output seemed to be an actual blue rather than the 6000k white. I got in touch with the seller who I had the bulbs from asking for a replacement as I'd had some flickering too. He suggested it was the ballast and that I replace them with the canbus ones. I replaced the ballasts and now the lights are completely white which was a shock but last night the left one went out - I turned off my lights and back on again and they both worked. Do I need canbus ballasts or was the seller trying to just get another sale? As far as I was aware, the ballasts I was using were canbus but he wanted to sell me some for nearly £40 just for ballasts. I should point out that I'm using a bi-xenon relay that goes into the stock light fitting also and not to the battery. Could this be an issue? Don't really want the lights going out on me on a dark road!

Thanks!
Eren_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I'd check to see if they're flickering while you have the car on but the lights running as DRL's (assuming you have DRL's in the UK) have the hood popped and see if you can hear the relays clicking on/off fast. Actually, do you have a PC of the kit/wiring/ballasts?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Eren_13

We do have DRLs over here but I don't have them fitted. I ran the lights just now and only get a click from the relay when using high beam.

Photos below.

And rather terrifyingly, I've just seen this at the top of the headlight reflector!

What is that?? Please tell me it's not burning my reflector.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Eren_13

Been reading up on canbus HIDs and could the flickering be down to the ballasts not actually being canbus compatible or does the Yaris not need them?

I've been seeing the canbus decoder / error cancellers too. These claim to stop the flickering. Could this be?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Sounds like you bought a cheap kit. ballast went bad and killed a bulb. The cheap bulbs are out gassing, leaving the gas on your reflector.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Eren_13

Poop. Well that's not very good is it :( in all fairness, it wasn't actually that cheap. Got it from a 'shop' which came up on google which is annoying.

So is that basically a whole new kit? Weirdly, the bulb is working but a slight flickering still. Only every now and then, not all the time.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Over the last 6 years I've bought about ten kits from these guys, and there always top quality.

http://www.retro-solutions.com/
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

It COULD be a bad bulb that is making the ballasts die. I'd also check the ground for that headlight wiring. Additionally, swap ballasts side-side to see if the issue moves.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Over the last 6 years I've bought about ten kits from these guys, and there always top quality.

http://www.retro-solutions.com/
Thanks! I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
It COULD be a bad bulb that is making the ballasts die. I'd also check the ground for that headlight wiring. Additionally, swap ballasts side-side to see if the issue moves.
I'll double check the ground. Like I say, I'm using the existing ground in the form of a relay using the origins, headlight connector which is in turn connected to ballast and bulb. No actual connection to the battery or separate ground.

I've moved the bulbs and ballasts, still appear to flicker. I'm in touch with the seller but it may be worth my while just trying out some new bulbs to be honest. Don't like the look of that outgassing though, I hope it wipes off somehow.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Both flicker? I imagine you have daytime running lights....what happens when you just turn ON the headlights?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Eren_13

At the risk of misunderstanding - engine on, headlights on, no DRLs = slight flicker. Strangely seem to be getting better with time (don't want to speak too soon) and engine off, headlights on, bit more flicker. I'm wondering if its these H4-3 bulbs that I'm using and that my car doesn't like the bulb moving back and forth for hi/lo?..wonder if its worth giving the H4-2 bulbs a go, see if that works it out.

The forever growing to do / to buy list:
FIX Projectors - FINALLY DONE!
XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
MOMO Revenge Evo X - Currently selling body parts for
Declare bankruptcy - Done