Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
skc

Drives: White5drRS
problem with cold air intake

last monday it rained all day.
i was going home from work and my car started to jerk.. at first i thought i let clutch too fast so i kept going.
moment later, i knew something is wrong so i was turn back to where i work.
i stopped to make a left turn, and my car died.
it was still raining and i had to push my car to the side. thank god our car is light and electric power steering is awesome.
i called roadside assistance and towed my car to the dealer.
i hooked scanner but no code showed up. took out MAF sensor and found some water.
my filter was soaked with water and when i took it out of my car water was dripping.
got my car started after drying air filter and MAF sensor. glad MAF sensor is ok.
i'm shocked and scared to drive in the rain.
i dunno what to do now if i should put back stock intake system or just change air filter to the one that need to put oil.
i've heard oiled filter they don't get soaked with water.

btw i didn't go over any puddles.. i think it was just soaked from leaving my car outside in the rain.

any suggestions?
skc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
i'll go stock again, water in the cylinder is not good man
Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
That blows! Oiled filters do repel water and cannot be soaked (because they are already soaked with oil) but they have their disadvantages too. (ie. Oil coating the MAF sensor) Do you have the AEM?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Yes I read in your garage you have the AEM. There should be some kinda protection against this problem. TRD has such a device for their CAI. I prefer the short RAM intake because I had fears this would happen, especially in the lower mainland. What did you dealer say about this?
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
Farminator

Drives: 3-dr MM liftback
That seems odd.. I have the AEM and the way it's mounted it seems that there should be little chance of water soaking the unit or even the filter. Maybe you have an opening somewhere where water is being let in. My filter sits right behind the driver side fog light cover and as far as I checked i could not see any way for water to get in cause of the wheel cover and the plastic bottom thing-a-majigger cover that goes across the entire bottom of the car right underneath the bumper. .........hmmmmm...thinking it over again I just cant figure out how it would happen but please let us know cause I dont want to be caught in that situation.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farminator View Post
That seems odd.. I have the AEM and the way it's mounted it seems that there should be little chance of water soaking the unit or even the filter. Maybe you have an opening somewhere where water is being let in. My filter sits right behind the driver side fog light cover and as far as I checked i could not see any way for water to get in cause of the wheel cover and the plastic bottom thing-a-majigger cover that goes across the entire bottom of the car right underneath the bumper. .........hmmmmm...thinking it over again I just cant figure out how it would happen but please let us know cause I dont want to be caught in that situation.
Same Here
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I have the TRD,never any problem,but heres a tip,when its raining,stay a good distance behind other cars if possible,and change lanes if your behind an 18 wheeler on the highway.18 wheelers create this mist of water behind them,its really light mist and can travel straigt to your intake,because your intake is like a vacum,and even more so at high speeds.Cars create this aswell.just not as bad.Hope this helps.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
skc

Drives: White5drRS
i just changed my filter to oiled one. problem solved.
i've been driving with oiled filter for month and half and it seems working fine.
i could hear air sucking louder and got little more pull with my butt dyno. lol
i think dry air filter isn't suitable with vancouver weather. rains too much..
skc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by skc View Post
i've been driving with oiled filter for month and half and it seems working fine.
Did you get your air bypass valve donut thing?.

Yes it rains pretty hard here in VAn. Not like it Cali where it's pretty dry alot of the time.

One reason why I didnt go the CAI way or go with the scooped carbon fiber hood.

Tooo much rain.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Farminator

Drives: 3-dr MM liftback
Well glad the problem was solved. Here in Los Angeles I guess i'll just keep in mind the tips about driving behind cars and 18 wheelers since it doesn't rain much or very hard. Later just to have peace of mind I'll invest in a bypas...but when fall rolls around in 6 months.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #11
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Very strange...

During the day, I park outside and it's exposed to all the rain, snow, sleet, whatever Vancouver weather experiences. I've yet to experience any hydro lock with my intake (AEM without the bypass valve). I had the intake installed in July 2006, and it went through a lot of rain/snow during the latter part of 2006.

Scary experience, but great to hear you fixed the problem.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
Very strange...

During the day, I park outside and it's exposed to all the rain, snow, sleet, whatever Vancouver weather experiences. I've yet to experience any hydro lock with my intake (AEM without the bypass valve). I had the intake installed in July 2006, and it went through a lot of rain/snow during the latter part of 2006.

Scary experience, but great to hear you fixed the problem.
Did you have the oiled filter? I guess the placement is under the light? I have heard some people removed the scoop cover where the fog lights go to get more air to the filter, and here is where I can see a problem with the water getting in.

I think you have your running lights on so the air has to go around the bumper or through the radiator opening.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
Did you have the oiled filter? I guess the placement is under the light? I have heard some people removed the scoop cover where the fog lights go to get more air to the filter, and here is where I can see a problem with the water getting in.

I think you have your running lights on so the air has to go around the bumper or through the radiator opening.
I'm using the "dry" non-oil filter that was provided with the AEM intake.

The under body splash guards around the wheel well and directly underneath the fog light is the only barrier between the car's surface and the intake filter. I can imagine that once it's removed, a lot moisture can get inside and the filter would absorb a most of it.

The AEM intake draws the air from the area below the engine bay, but I have no idea what the direction of the airflow is. It definitely draws cool(er) air as the intake is generally cool/tepid to the touch. It only warms up significantly when the outside temperature is high.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Should have purchased a TRD Cold air intake for your yaris. (PN: PTR03-52070) TRD cold air intake comes with a bypass valve in the upper pipe to prevent water from entering and reaching the MAF sensor.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i have the aem with no bypass and there is no problem.. and anyway you can buy the bypass valve for 40 $.. you just cut the pipe and install it ;p
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Quote:
i was going home from work and my car started to jerk.. at first i thought i let clutch too fast so i kept going.
it was still raining and i had to push my car to the side. thank god our car is light and electric power steering is awesome.
i hooked scanner but no code showed up. took out MAF sensor and found some water.
my filter was soaked with water and when i took it out of my car water was dripping.
got my car started after drying air filter and MAF sensor. glad MAF sensor is ok.
i dunno what to do now if i should put back stock intake system or just change air filter to the one that need to put oil.

btw i didn't go over any puddles.. i think it was just soaked from leaving my car outside in the rain.

any suggestions?
Hey SKC Did it rain all day and you took your car in a car wash? This could be the problem. My brother talked to a guy with a Mazda 3 that had this problem............hmmmmmmmm could it be??????
Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
adjustment..

did you have to adj your idle response as well i heard some that need to be done

Quote:

Last edited by marcus; 05-15-2007 at 01:04 PM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #18
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
soaked filter..

just found out that our yaris didnt have rubber blocking the water from comin in on the filter bay area its actually coming from the top of the headlight unit.. washed my car last week and open the hood after and found out my air filter boxed was soaked water all around it..hope it didnt go in the filter..although there is space there for it to come in..got to get rubber around it!!!! check it out people.. water getting thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

any suggestions?
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote