Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Has anyone ever tried the product from paint-chip-repair.com on their car?

So I got quite a few paint chips on my hood and fenders. Atleast 10-20. I was debating about trying to touch up paint it and sand and polish.

Searching on google i found this website paint-chip-repair.com and apparently you order a premixed paint based on your color code and its as simple as brushing it on. And whiping it off with a cloth and it suposidly looks perfect.

Was wondering if anyone has ever tried it on their yaris or any other car they have owned. Seems too good to be true.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
If you want to be a guinea pig on this product, I'm very interested in your experience if you try it.

I've seen ads for a similar product called "Dr. Colorchip" (drcolorchip.com) advertised in the back of the car mags. Their product has three pictures of a gloved hand applying, smearing(!), and blending the paint. Sounds like a neat idea, but I have no idea if it actually looks good once it's dry. It sounds like the kind of thin paint that auto touch up guys use to spruce up used cars for the dealers. I'll bet this stuff doesn't fill the chip to the level of the surrounding paint. Probably doesn't last long, either.

The best thing I've tried is the mild solvent-type of chip repair. The solvent is meant to supplement your regular touch up paint. I use a no-name brand I got at my local Toyota dealer ("Touch Up Magic"); the big name brand solvent is called Langka. The solvent allows you to shear off the top of the touch-up paint glob to the level of the surrounding paint using a plastic razor blade. I've gotten pretty good results after some learning.

The trick with the solvent is getting a feel for how long you should wait to apply it - too soon and you smear the paint, too late and you can't shave off the blob of paint.

Sorry for the long post - I'm a detailing geek...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote