Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #19
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Stiff shocks don't stop you bottoming out ... shocks aren't the thing that act against the weight of the car ;)
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #20
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
stiffer dampers can definitely control stiffer springs better. they wont prevent bottoming out, but they will certainly help decrease the likelihood :) they are tuned stiffer for both compression and rebound strokes of the spring.

the common 'honda bounce' is a result of using lowering springs on stock dampers, that are probably already worn--probably kids who bought the car used cheap, want it to look cool, and dont have the money to replace the tired dampers. i've seen many many newer (1-2 year old) hondas lowered with springs only, riding on oem dampers with a decent 1-2" drop with no issues for street use.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #21
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Perhaps my post was obscure. I was initially concerned about the car bottoming out (not the suspension) due to less ground clearance with the lowering springs. This has not been a problem. I suggested the car is under-damped with reference to it's behaviour in fast sweeping turns with bumps. Perhaps high performance shocks would improve on this, or the addition of sway bars may be necessary??? Because I am not racing, I just slow down.
Of course stiff shocks will not prevent bottoming, nor will anything but ridiculously stiff springs. The 2 work together as a system, with the springs supporting the weight of the car and as Ron suggested the compression damping on the shocks helping to control the tendency to bottom out, by slowing and limiting motion. TRD has indicated that the lowering springs were designed to work with the stock shocks. In the street conditions I have encountered, this does seem to be the case. Hope this clears things up.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote