Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #163
Vinsanity

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
none...just some snubbish crowd who likes to own jahPANIS made wheels...don't mind rockin it anyday...

LoL, that's true. hella people around my area always try to copp the most exspensive rims. But i dont really care about how good the quality is, as long as im happy wit my rims
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #164
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
But i dont really care about how good the quality is
I'm speechless.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #165
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
This thread is getting stupid. I'm a Filipino and I love ROTA's. Admittedly I don't admire their penchance to copy the design of a lot of JDM wheels. If you hate ROTA's for that, then it's an opinion which I'll have to respect. But calling them JUNK just because there are a number of incidents where the wheels broke and then calling ROTA's in general junk is plain stupid.

I've used ROTA's for over a decade on a variety of cars. including my previously 'caged Evo IV track, hill-climb and rally car. NEVER had a problem with 17' ROTA's. Sure it doesn't make for good random sampling, but hell, 2 or 3, even 4 broken sets of ROTA's also don't make for good sampling to determine that ALL ROTA's are bad.

I'm not cheap either (as some people might think I'm defending ROTA's because it's the only set I can afford), I've got a set of 18' TE37 FORGED MAGNESIUM wheels in my Supra that cost about U$7,000 for a set of four and had to be bought through a JGTC / Super GT 300 team because at that time Ray's didnt want to sell these wheels for non-motorsports use. I've also got 57 Motorsport wheels on my Yaris which cost me just over a thousand bucks. But I would have bought ROTA's for either of my cars if they had the design / look that I wanted.

Sure, the JDM stuff are better. No question. But are they so much better to justify the cost? IMHO, no.

If you ride the FIA approved curbing at your local tracks all the time, ditch hook the car at every corner (like Takumi's secret move using the rain gutters lol) in an SS or jump your car regularly (I used to in my Evo IV) at 80mph, and find that the wheels are not damaged at all, after years and years of abuse, heck these ROTA's must be quite good enough.

IME cars with ROTA wheels that get damaged usually have suspension issues i.e. the suspension isn't up to par holding up the car and when the wheels go throuh rough stuff, the suspension isn't able to absorb the shock and the wheel and the non-absorbing suspension components take the load and get damaged.

Here in the Philipines, almost every drifter I know runs ROTA's. Almost all of the rally guys I know run ROTA's. Almost all locally manufactured cars in the Philippines still use ROTA wheels (the others, like Honda use Enkei, but also made locally).

ROTA AFAIK is also a licensed manufacturer for Kosei wheels in the past, and for some Ralli-Art wheels which were exported too for the Pajero / Montero SUV. There are countless others.

Some people obviously think ROTA's are made in a freaking shed here in the Philippines. Ugh some people can be so very stupid.............

I've seen original TE37 wheels in an N1 Civic race car get its spoked ripped off a nasty accident on track. This car was owned and run by the local Rays distributor (Autoplus). I'm not knocking Ray's, but as some of the more enlightened ones have said, serious damage can happen to any wheel. I've seen a rare Porsche 993 RSR get its OEM 3-piece BBS wheels ripped off after an accident and trailered to the local Porsche dealership. Not knocking Porsche and BBS, but it can happen to these too. And the Porsche wasn't even going really fast, something like 100kmh or so. I've also seen Sportec wheels from Switzerland (U$4,000 set) get its spokes ripped off the hub of a heavily modified B5 A4 Turbo Quattro when it got into a disagreement with a big pothole in our highway. Or a good friend's Evo 5 which ran the curbing at our local track one too many times lose all the pressure in his tire because the wheel got bent. The Evo 5 had OEM OZ F1 wheels on Bridgestone SO2's back then. I can go on and on and on about expensive wheels that are 'supposedly' better than ROTA's get damaged just as easily as ROTA's, which ultimately means par for the course for all these wheels, regardless of brand / make / origin.

PS I know the main man at ROTA. Nice (very big but nice) guy. I've been to their factory a number of times too. It's a start of the art factory, ISO certified and looks way better than some sweat shops out there in the US.

You can HATE rota because they copy wheels from other manufacturers. But to call them JUNK because of a handful of cases is plain stupid. Here in the Philippines, I've yet to hear of any accident like that involving ROTA wheels. And yes we drive fast here. Faster than most guys in the US because we effectively have no speed limit i.e. cops don't care.
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #166
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
I prefer OEM wheels, Scion has some that fit our cars. They look classy and are very well built no worrying about cracking on potholes
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #167
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I prefer OEM wheels, Scion has some that fit our cars. They look classy and are very well built no worrying about cracking on potholes
they're incredibly heavy though
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #168
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by botchilah View Post
I can go on and on and on about expensive wheels that are 'supposedly' better than ROTA's get damaged just as easily as ROTA's
this statement makes me .. just as easily you say? did you drive the exact same car thru the exact same pothole at the exact same speed?

hey, my chinese wheels will be here thursday (i'm not a jdm elitist) and i'm hapyp to report that they don't look like a copy of anything :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #169
botchilah

Tamago, in some cases YES. There are only a few places here in the Philippines, especially in Metro Manila and Luzon in general where you can go stupid, 300++kmh fast. Everyone who has anything with motorized wheels will try to have a go, flat out regadless if his/er vehicle tops out at 60mph or 360kmh (look for Autoplus Ford GT video on Youtube) Road repair takes forever here, thanks to the best government money can buy. Everyone who remotely likes cars and driving cars fast will have gone through these very same roads. So in short, YES.

I never damaged my ROTA wheels on my Evo going over and over the same curbing on the same track as my friend's, at the same time we were both on track, on the same day, with same model suspension (TEIN RA's), tuned by the same guy (aligned and corner-weighted), with roughly the same ride height. In fact, my all-in weight was heavier since I'm far bigger than my friend. And we had the same model Bridgestone tires, same size (225/45R17's) same tire pressure settings on nitrogen. He went home with a spare tire, I went home and back to the track the following week.

The A4 Turbo Quattro that got its wheel ripped off? I went through the same huge pothole on our highway (NLEX to pinoys out there) a few weeks before his accident. I was a college student back then and money doesn't come easy out here so I remember the cost of the accident as I ended up buying a new set of wheels and tires. The A4 owner was my friend too. I badly bent my passenger side wheels (TSW Evo's on a Galant V6 a decade ago) rendering one completely useless. The Sportec wheels were ripped clean from the hub however.

Another example, a friend's Evo 9 had Gram Lights sized 18's and failed to see the ditch as he was driving at night, pitch black and raining hard. He fell into a ditch at a modest gait (about 70kmh) and the Gram Lights' lip was ripped off the spokes and hub. Freak accident, but it happens.

The point here is, ANY wheel, regardless of brand / make / origin, when subjected to ANY sort of abuse above the ordinary, will break badly.
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #170
Tamago

your argument is still unscientific but to say that a rota will hold up to abuse just as well as a forged wheel of the same design is simply.... not possible..

but hey, again, i'm not arguing rota's quality. there are simply too many other non japanese wheel manufacturers out there to be devoted to a copycat company :)
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #171
botchilah

I never said the ROTA's were better, or even comparable in absolute quality to RAY's wheels or other premium forged wheels. I simply said ROTA wheels aren't complete garbage, of low quality and unsafe to use as many people have said it is, basing this assumption on a few accidents / incidents reported on the 'net.

My other point was that ANY wheel (ROTA, RAY's, BBS, OZ, Speedline or whatever else brand there is out there), when subjected to extreme abuse, will get damaged really bad. Hit a rock the size of your fist at speed, go over an open manhole or a large pothole / ditch and it will break, regardless of brand / make or origin.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #172
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by botchilah View Post

PS I know the main man at ROTA. Nice (very big but nice) guy. I've been to their factory a number of times too. It's a start of the art factory, ISO certified and looks way better than some sweat shops out there in the US.

Could you tell him, to make a 16 inch G-Force, for my Yaris please.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #173
botchilah

LOL someone I know once asked ROTA how much it would cost to make a custom wheel design / size. The figure given back then was 20,000 U$ to make the mold up to about 18' back about 7 years ago.